What's new

Liseberg | Luna | Vekoma Family Boomerang | 2023

TheTalbotHound

Roller Poster
A test? I don't think this was their intention.
They are slowly pulling it back to the station now with a crane.
Well, trying out the procedure for getting the train back when it valleys. I was guessing this would be something they would have to do before the ride can open

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
Well, trying out the procedure for getting the train back when it valleys. I was guessing this would be something they would have to do before the ride can open
I understand how you are thinking but I doubt that. Anyways the train was finally back at the station yesterday (Saturday). Hopefully nothing is broken or at least it was an easy fix so that they can continue testing tomorrow (Monday). :)

TheTalbotHound

Roller Poster
I understand how you are thinking but I doubt that. Anyways the train was finally back at the station yesterday (Saturday). Hopefully nothing is broken or at least it was an easy fix so that they can continue testing tomorrow (Monday). :)
I don't think the train went all the way up the lift for that run, and i think i heard some braking noise from the station, but i was quite far away. Maybe it was brake issues.

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
I don't think the train went all the way up the lift for that run, and i think i heard some braking noise from the station, but i was quite far away. Maybe it was brake issues.
I heard from a source that it was a brake problem so you probably heard correct. Lets hope that the warning of 30cm of snow is short lived so that they can continue testing.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Got an email from Liseberg

Novelty! Luna – inauguration April 22
Just in time for the 100th anniversary, the last and biggest attraction in Luna Park - Luna is added. The attraction is a so-called boomerang roller coaster. With it's 33.5 meter height, Luna becomes the tallest and fastest of it's kind in the world - a family attraction that appeals to both young and old!

Luna will be inaugurated at 12.30 on the day of the premiere. Come and be one of the first to go round trip to the moon!

The premiere celebration starts already at 11 outside the South entrance - welcome!

I will be there for the premiere. Anyone else coming? Keep in mind that south entrance is the back entrance, not the main entrance.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Luna has had it's inauguration with ribbon cutting and a marching band but so far no train has dispatched. The queue is full and people around me are getting pretty fed up, leaving the queue left and right.

Christian

Hyper Poster
First 30 minutes they only sent two VIP trains while the queue was open and completely full. It took about 20 minutes for the first VIP train to dispatch due to most VIP guests needing cameras mounted. At 13:00 it opened to the public.

Got a front row ride in one of the first public trains. I am honestly underwhelmed. Except for the spike there is no force on the entire ride. Even less so than other family boomerangs. The station and queue are lovely though. Lisebergsbanan passes right through the queue. Unless Luna is a walk on, it won't be added to my regular Liseberg repertoire. It just isn't worth rerides. With that said it looks absolutely brilliant and greatly takes away crowds from Lisebergsbanan.

I'm writing this from the brand new Grand Curiosa Hotel. It is absolutely lovely and certainly on par with Europa Park, Disney and Universal hotels. I'll be back for fireworks at 20:45 and write a full trip report for the 100 anniversary Liseberg premier.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
My biggest critique of the Family Boomerang is that it misses the most important element of properly structuring a Boomerang, which is giving the train a little upward pull before it rolls backwards. It lets riders take a short breather, it builds anticipation for the return-trip and makes sure that its taken with the proper pace.

People always say "Speed of Sound" is the best Boomerang, but all it really does is emphasize the dramaturgy of a Boomerang with music - but that dramaturgy exists without the music too.

Pay attention to how well the lift on the second spike works in Speed of Sound, it's honestly the most ingenious part about the whole ride. Structure is important, and a Boomerang is a three-act-coaster. Spike, forwards, backwards. The family-boomerang is a strange two-act-coaster, a mediocre spike and then a meshed-together coaster-part that by design can only have one half with proper pacing.