What's new

Liseberg | Luna | Vekoma Family Boomerang | 2023

dcxs

Roller Poster
Regarding the height I wonder if this isn't a case of 33m height with ~25m drop. Speed is on par with Volldampf, 60 vs 68kmh. Anyway, I always thought these looked really fun, will be nice to try it out. Liseberg is really expanding quite a lot the last 10 yrs

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Surely you can't compare speeds in relation to heights of a shuttle coaster to the same on a normal coaster.

The train will have considerably less speed for a 110ft spike on a shuttle coaster than it would on a normal 110ft lift hill because the entire train doesn't need to make its way up the spike just the leading edge.

On a standard gravity coaster the train gains quite a bit of speed after cresting the hill and before the rear car passes the maximum height.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Surely a 110ft coaster would hit 50mph or more, though; this coaster will only be hitting around 43mph.
Was just about to reply to this, then realised I wasn't looking at the end of the page of comments. @roomraider is spot on, but also worth saying that these coasters don't actually get to the top of the spikes (on either end), so the spike could be higher than the train would ever go.

Superman is case in point for this...

Sandman

Giga Poster
Oh...

I don't really like these, so that's a shame.

My thoughts exactly.

The theme concept looks lovely, but I feel like Liseberg could do so much more with it.
I understand I'm not the target audience but, idk, a boomerang just feels a bit bland for the brilliant Liseberg.
I swear Tivoli Gardens also has some incredibly similar flats which rock a similar theme.

cookie

Giga Poster
...Okay, then. Cred’s a cred.

I’m guessing the FlumeRide replacement isn’t happening anytime soon, then?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Personally I think it's an excellent addition and probably the best coaster they can get considering the target audience and I presume budget.

The only comparable coasters in the same range are a vekoma rollerskater, Zierer Tivoli or similar sized junior model from elsewhere.

Anything bigger and still family orientated like a family woodie or juvalen style launched coaster would probably be 2 or 3x the price if not more. Not only that it has the appeal of doing something no other coaster in the park does. Imagine it was a pretty easy decision.

If you want a small footprint junior coaster a junior Boomerang is pretty much the best you can do. Should slot nicely into the parks already solid lineup and fill in a bit of a gap too.

TIAAGI

Roller Poster
...Okay, then. Cred’s a cred.

I’m guessing the FlumeRide replacement isn’t happening anytime soon, then?
My guess is after the water park is open.
The tender for contract award to Intamin is a real document so it will happen.

There was some spray paint in areas of the park this summer that isn’t close to Luna. 🤔

Matt N

CF Legend
Looking at Liseberg on RCDB, I actually think that this coaster could provide a very nice middle-ground coaster that the park currently lacks.

RCDB suggests that Liseberg currently has no middle ground coaster-wise between Rabalder (Zierer Force Two, which I'd almost class as a kiddie coaster) and their big thrill rides, so I think this should fill that void quite nicely, personally!

So in that regard; I think it'll be a really nice addition!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Surely a 110ft coaster would hit 50mph or more, though; this coaster will only be hitting around 43mph.
It might have something to do with the height of the drop being less than 110ft. The track may extend to a height of 110ft, but being a shuttle, that doesn't mean the coaster is going to be using all 110ft of the track, as it would if it were a conventional, full circuit coaster with a lift hill. The train won't go all the way to the top, and will already be on the incline when it starts descending.

All in all, I'm down with this. A few fun, well themed attractions should be a decent addition to the park. Liseberg is already a solid, all around park, so these additions should just help round it out a bit more.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I live about 500 meter from where Luna will be built. Honestly it was expected. Liseberg are currently building a huge family hotel and indoor waterpark. They needed to also add more family attractions to the park especially to cater to the 6-8 year olds who are too big for Kaninlanded and Rabalder but too small for Balder. Lisebergsbanan is almost in the same category as Luna which I think is great as Luna surely will pull away people from Lisebergsbanan allowing me to enjoy even shorter lines in one of my favourite coasters.

Liseberg usually alternate between thrill and family expansions. Lastly they got Valkyria and Loke and now they do this new family area. We saw the same thing when they got Helix and Mechanica and alternated with Kaninlandet in between followed up by Valkyria. In about 4 years Liseberg will gain access to a pretty big plot at the front of the park and that is when I expect we might see the next thrill expansion. FlumRide is such an iconic ride that I think we will see it stay. It's really popular and as long as attendance keeps up there is no reason to replace it (unless it's broken).

What surprised me was that I expected a Vekoma or B&M junior invert as the park lacks anything inverted since removing their inverted boomerang ages ago but we got this. Gröna Lund have kvasten which is probably why they choose the junior boomerang. Furuvik also have a junior boomerang but this one is pretty different. I will get a behind the scenes tour of Liseberg at the beginning of April (when the park is closed) so I will try to ask all the questions I can and get all the pictures I can and write a trip report.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Done a few of these... ( 🤣🤣🤣) Can't say I'm a fan.

But it is a good fit for Liseberg. The area on a whole looks like it will be great. I'm not a 'huge' Liseberg fan, like some of you are, but I do like the park. With this, the hotel and Christian's forecasted expansion, there's an exciting few years ahead. I will just be keeping my fingers crossed that Balder survives until I see fit to visit again.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Unlike most old parks and even som new ones (Looking at you, Energylandia 😤) Liseberg does not have anything bad. There is nothing I would say needs to be replaced or really nothing to be done. It feels like a complete park where everything that is there is high quality.

Right now, the largest infrastructure project in the history of Gothenburg and Western Sweden is carried out. It will be a 3 station underground railway. The first station will be under the Central Station. The second station will be under my university, The School of Business, Economics and Law, which is why half of it is demolished at the moment. The third and final station will be under Liseberg, Universeum and Korsvägen. The railway is planned to be completed in 2026. Liseberg have demolished their sports hall, 2 restaurants and the kitchen of their club Rondo to accommodate the construction. They have revealed that they will replace the sports hall with something other than a sports hall. This has attracted lots of controversy in the city as many locals have played sports there as kids. Personally, I couldn't care less about an old PE hall. This is the plot.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

The options for the plot:
  • Hotel. Since Liseberg are already building a hotel and there already is a huge hotel across the road (Gothia Towers) it is highly unlikely that we will see another hotel here.
  • Arena/Theatre. The old sports hall also used to host some concerts. Liseberg have confirmed that nothing like the old sports hall will return. One of the largest arenas in Scandinavia, Scandinavium, is just a couple hundred meters away. There are also multiple large teaters within walking distance. Therefore I think this option is pretty unlikely.
  • Shopping/commercial property. This might happen but Liseberg don't have any shopping outside their park which is why I suspect that this area will be kept inside the gate.
This only leaves one option which is a park expansion of some sort. It might just be new restaurants (to replace the 2 demolished restaurants) or shopping but I also think it will include new rides and some kind of coaster. The plot is the same size as Balder so there certainly is space for something big here. If they go across the midway there might even be space for a hyper. I am not confident enough to guess what it will be but I am pretty sure that it will be a thrill expansion sometime around 2026 or later because following their traditional expansion schedule we are due something thrilling around that time. It should give them a couple of years to pay off debts from their large hotel, waterpark and Luna Park expansion.

Last edited:

dcxs

Roller Poster
Unlike most old parks and even som new ones (Looking at you, Energylandia 😤) Liseberg does not have anything bad. There is nothing I would say needs to be replaced or really nothing to be done. It feels like a complete park where everything that is there is high quality.

Right now, the largest infrastructure project in the history of Gothenburg and Western Sweden is carried out. It will be a 3 station underground railway. The first station will be under the Centra......................

Im pretty sure ive seen a news article mentioning there might be a ride placed in that location.

Peet

Giga Poster
Right now, the largest infrastructure project in the history of Gothenburg and Western Sweden is carried out. It will be a 3 station underground railway. The first station will be under the Central Station. The second station will be under my university, The School of Business, Economics and Law, which is why half of it is demolished at the moment. The third and final station will be under Liseberg, Universeum and Korsvägen. The railway is planned to be completed in 2026. Liseberg have demolished their sports hall, 2 restaurants and the kitchen of their club Rondo to accommodate the construction. They have revealed that they will replace the sports hall with something other than a sports hall. This has attracted lots of controversy in the city as many locals have played sports there as kids. Personally, I couldn't care less about an old PE hall. This is the plot.

View attachment 16258

The options for the plot:
  • Hotel. Since Liseberg are already building a hotel and there already is a huge hotel across the road (Gothia Towers) it is highly unlikely that we will see another hotel here.
  • Arena/Theatre. The old sports hall also used to host some concerts. Liseberg have confirmed that nothing like the old sports hall will return. One of the largest arenas in Scandinavia, Scandinavium, is just a couple hundred meters away. There are also multiple large teaters within walking distance. Therefore I think this option is pretty unlikely.
  • Shopping/commercial property. This might happen but Liseberg don't have any shopping outside their park which is why I suspect that this area will be kept inside the gate.
This only leaves one option which is a park expansion of some sort. It might just be new restaurants (to replace the 2 demolished restaurants) or shopping but I also think it will include new rides and some kind of coaster. The plot is the same size as Balder so there certainly is space for something big here. If they go across the midway there might even be space for a hyper. I am not confident enough to guess what it will be but I am pretty sure that it will be a thrill expansion sometime around 2026 or later because following their traditional expansion schedule we are due something thrilling around that time. It should give them a couple of years to pay off debts from their large hotel, waterpark and Luna Park exexpansion.
Very interesting, it's got to be great news for Liseberg that this is getting built, I remember the tram journey from the station being very slow.

cookie

Giga Poster
If the trains coming from south Sweden/Denmark made use of the new tunnel I'd be of help to me also. Then you could get from Tivoli Gardens to Liseberg in less than four hours with the same train, even.

Christian

Hyper Poster
If the trains coming from south Sweden/Denmark made use of the new tunnel I'd be of help to me also. Then you could get from Tivoli Gardens to Liseberg in less than four hours with the same train, even.

Öresundståg (the trains going to Denmark) will not make use of the new tunnel.

I suspect this might change in the future. Liseberg is one of the most popular attraction for people coming form the south. It's disruptive to force them to local trains and trams.

Last edited:

Niles

Giga Poster
The two flat rides for the new area Tempus and Turbo opened yesterday:
279099439_938148796856044_4972366524778396616_n.jpg

279197182_938148883522702_1115270604835117703_n.jpg

279128697_938148860189371_2301542049827930133_n.jpg

279135992_938148923522698_6515800819658432742_n.jpg

Source

Last edited: