What's new

Lightning Rod Status

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I think I'm more curious as to which sections won't be re-tracked (besides the station, transfer and brake run of course).

Also, there are still a couple of unanswered questions. Will the ride get new trains/get the old train theming back, and will the launch speed be returned to the original, faster speed?
Apparently the launch and drop will be steel, then back to wooden for the next few elements, then it turns back to steel from the step-up into the quad down, all the way to the end to the ride.

No new trains.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's a real shame it's come to this. I'm very lucky to have managed to ride it when I did, it instantly became my number 1 coaster and still sits 3rd. This was prior to the changes that were made during the 2017? season.
Clearly the ride needs fixing, if this is the only way to save a multi million pound asset then fine, but I can't say I'm happy that a 4/5 year old ride which was bloody amazing is getting retracked already.

Still +1 I guess ;)

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
It's a real shame it's come to this. I'm very lucky to have managed to ride it when I did, it instantly became my number 1 coaster and still sits 3rd. This was prior to the changes that were made during the 2017? season.
Clearly the ride needs fixing, if this is the only way to save a multi million pound asset then fine, but I can't say I'm happy that a 4/5 year old ride which was bloody amazing is getting retracked already.

Still +1 I guess ;)
Nahhhhh

jay37415

Mega Poster
Doesn't check out that some people were saying track was being removed from the wave turn though. Although was that ever confirmed?

I did say it looks like the track was being removed from the wave turn by the looks of a picture that was being circulated. Anyone who follows Dollywood forums knows that Pete is THE GUY for information concerning Dollywood. If he says something, you better believe it. So if he says the wave turn is not getting a retrack, then he is right and I am wrong.

I have said this previously and I'll say it again. When Dollywood put out bids for LR, it was RMC who proposed a launched woodie. So I don't think Dollywood cares if its a true woodie or not. I remember riding it on day 2 of the trials and there was actually ejector air over the first "Dolly Hump." So I just want thins coaster to run the way it was designed originally. The only thing thats disappointing is the amount of trees being removed to do the work.

I know a lot of discussion has been about LR lately but it was also mentioned at the ACE meetup that Mystery Mine was getting new trains with lap-bars and a little re profiling after the bridge. Premier posted a picture on their Facebook page of new trains being shipped somewhere with #mystery. That could explain why Premier was there a few weeks ago and it could also be what "Lightning strikes twice" is referring to.

Attachments

• LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Premier.jpg
    Premier.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 57

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So, how long before Outlaw Run, Goliath and Wildfire are gonna need the same treatment? Has anyone ridden any of those recently? How are they holding up? Getting rough, lots of downtime? What specifically is it about LR that seems to be causing the issues, that so far don't seem to be affecting the other Topper Track RMC's? Is it just the launch, or is Lightning Rod simply more intense and forceful than the others? It's the only one of their wooden coasters that I haven't ridden so I don't know what it's like to be able to compare, hence all the questions.
Man, I wish I'd have gotten to ride it at it's peak! Hopefully this retrack will restore some of that original craziness, but I fear it will forever be one of those missed opportunities. Shoulda gone when I had the chance, as it were.