What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

bernatc22

Mega Poster
I saw on Reddit earlier this morning some more ground clearing has been done and, as far as I'm concerned, footers are starting to take shape.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Oh, hello there...
da2a19aace89f5207bb783f3a1526ae0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TLARides

Hyper Poster
You know those are an A-frame to a tent structure, right?

Here's the filed blue prints for reference.
From what I saw of the plans (and I'm guessing my bearings are a bit off on where that "station" was), I had thought that the station was right by the Blue Racer. Guess not.

If anything, that's where they're putting the tracks for storage, maybe?

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
The layout disappoints me. Not cuz it's short. But because much like I305 and Fury it wastes a lot of speed turning on its side and doing helixes. That's not what you should do with all that speed. Why do these gigas have so few airtime hills? I'm not saying it should have a back half like Steel Dragon* but it would be great if it focused on air a bit more than it does.

*JK, I am actually saying that. The more these coasters get built the better SD2K's layout is by comparison. If it was built by a different manufacturer with 2019 tech, but kept the same basic idea and layout? World's best coaster.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The layout disappoints me. Not cuz it's short. But because much like I305 and Fury it wastes a lot of speed turning on its side and doing helixes. That's not what you should do with all that speed. Why do these gigas have so few airtime hills? I'm not saying it should have a back half like Steel Dragon* but it would be great if it focused on air a bit more than it does.

*JK, I am actually saying that. The more these coasters get built the better SD2K's layout is by comparison. If it was built by a different manufacturer with 2019 tech, but kept the same basic idea and layout? World's best coaster.
Just a guess but the more hills and the higher the track goes the more expensive the supports become and Giga's aren't cheap rides to begin with. Also with airtime focused hypers in the park focusing on the height and speed is easier to do maintaining more low to the ground elements.

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster

Amending this: Leviathan’s layout mostly does the right things too.

Just a guess but the more hills and the higher the track goes the more expensive the supports become and Giga's aren't cheap rides to begin with. Also with airtime focused hypers in the park focusing on the height and speed is easier to do maintaining more low to the ground elements.

This is most likely true re: cost. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Plus, they can always make lower, sharp ejector hills and/or long, low floats if the support cost is an issue. The hills don’t have to be tall, necessarily. Look at Skyrush- the air there is great precisely *because* the hills are low. Give me that sort of thing, rather than stengel-type dive elements and turnarounds galore.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
See the thing is, you’re playing with a LOT of speed with a giga. Space runs out very very quickly, and even building short hills takes up a lot of space, because they have to be drawn out and longer, else you’ll just get pointless hops like the ones found on RMC, that have little to no force.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Nice concept, but I think the plans debunk that idea.

blueFireCoaster is an engineer. He plugged the leaked blueprints into a program he has and it generated the 3D model shown. I'm sure its not 100% accurate, but its safe to say its pretty damn close.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
blueFireCoaster is an engineer. He plugged the leaked blueprints into a program he has and it generated the 3D model shown. I'm sure its not 100% accurate, but its safe to say its pretty damn close.
Think you might be paraphrasing a bit much there. There isn't software in the world that could take those low-res JPGs and turn them into anything meaningful. He probably studied the plans and use those to create the model manually. ;)

Pear

Strata Poster
Think you might be paraphrasing a bit much there. There isn't software in the world that could take those low-res JPGs and turn them into anything meaningful. He probably studied the plans and use those to create the model manually. ;)
It's a NL2 recreation of the blueprints and the shaping is very, very wrong. However, the general layout is correct. NL2 is not a special engineering software that only he has access to. @CoasterMac305's recreation is still the most accurate one I've seen.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's a NL2 recreation of the blueprints and the shaping is very, very wrong. However, the general layout is correct. NL2 is not a special engineering software that only he has access to. @CoasterMac305's recreation is still the most accurate one I've seen.
CoasterMAC's recreation is beautiful with it's shaping, but I think the first hill/overbank is more accurate on the second one, I hope they manage to get some sideways airtime on it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
According to the blueprints, the overbanked turn after the lift is supposed to be about half the height of the lift. It looks like it's a bit too tall in that rendering.

Physics, space, and cost are the biggest limiting factors when rides get as big as this one will be for all the reasons that everyone has mentioned thus far. If you don't like it, figure out how to raise ~60-70 million dollars to buy enough land and build an "airtime focused" giga coaster.

Or we could just appreciate that another giga coaster is getting built in the first place. Christ, there's only five traditional coasters over 300 feet in existence and yet way too many people are bitching as if it's another SLC.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Or we could just appreciate that another giga coaster is getting built in the first place. Christ, there's only five traditional coasters over 300 feet in existence and yet way too many people are bitching as if it's another SLC.
I wonder how much of this is actually people complaining about the coaster, versus people complaining about people complaining about the coaster.