What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Edward M

Strata Poster
Conceptually, it looks ugly as sin. However, with the sheer size of it, it could be visually impressive in person. It all depends on the shade of yellow used. I've warmed up a bit to it even though I wish they hadn't gone for an inversion record, but we enthusiasts generally prefer airtime. With a lap bar, the hangtime could really work, but I'm predicting vest restraints. If it does have vests, I think it won't work very well.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I think it looks pretty amazing tbh. Something wacky and should be right up my street with all those fab looking inversions and hangtime. No idea how it’ll ride, admittedly, but the outrageousness of it is getting me hyped. Maybe it could’ve been another great RMC or whatever, but I’ll take something unique when it’s offered up <3. Also, 9 inversions is still quite reasonable I think. If they had included (m)any more then it would just be Smiler-esque inversion overkill.

The name though, lol. Tbh, the “steel” annoys me just as much as the “curtain” because it’s just so... boring.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
The supports are growing on me. I like how they form almost a floor in the pre-drop before the stall, would be cool for theming (not that there will be any, what would theming even be.. football animatronics? :p)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
You guys know the animations aren't always spot on. Look at Storm Chasers and how trash that looked, I'm sure there wont be that many awful transitions...after the track is replaced.

This is marketed to the locals, not anyone else. If you don't like the Steelers [like 90% of NFL fans] then this is a total turn off with those ugly ass colors. The name is iconic for that team and the sport, so obviously it misses the mark for non Americans, but is perfect for ****tsburgh.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

J Rod

Roller Poster
Love how unique it is and looks like it could be really good depending on the smoothness. As for the theme, it's perfect for the region. There's also tons of Steelers fans across the country and I think even all the Steeler haters and fans of other teams will still be intrigued by an NFL themed section.

Edit: My hopes are up for this if it's true Ride Centerline is behind it.

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think it's ridiculously ugly, but the layout is as mad as badgers selling chutney to bees. I love it and hate it at the same time - fantastic :)

I feel the same about this completely!

It's ugly, it's weird but it's also brilliant seeing a "my first NL Coaster" getting built in real life. If S&S had a better track record (get it..) I would be way more positive about this wacko machine. I just don't have faith that they will make this ride..enjoyable. But yeah, I applaud the creativity and combo of elements... but... yeah.

Snoo

The Legend
I feel the same about this completely!

It's ugly, it's weird but it's also brilliant seeing a "my first NL Coaster" getting built in real life. If S&S had a better track record (get it..) I would be way more positive about this wacko machine. I just don't have faith that they will make this ride..enjoyable. But yeah, I applaud the creativity and combo of elements... but... yeah.

This mostly for me as well. While I don't have high hopes for the long term roughness of the ride, I don't think it will be the worst but I still think Phantom will be the best ride in the park.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Edit: Found the photo! Its not much to go on, but it somewhat helps.
53a8375f075fc178f8d74fb4b5494d39.jpg

From what I've read. They intentionally did not show the trains because, since this is S&S's big project for the year, they are gonna do a reveal at IAPPA. Hopefully show off some traind without OTSR's. Also, Joe from Ride Centerline had a hand in designing this coaster so I'm sure it will be smooth. He did a lot of Lightning run.

Snoo

The Legend
From what I've read. They intentionally did not show the trains because, since this is S&S's big project for the year, they are gonna do a reveal at IAPPA. Hopefully show off some traind without OTSR's. Also, Joe from Ride Centerline had a hand in designing this coaster so I'm sure it will be smooth. He did a lot of Lightning run.

To be fair, OTSR's will make it noticeably more uncomfortable if the ride is rough/jerky. S&S isn't known for their transitions.. lol

jodon1981

Roller Poster
Is it sleak? No.
Is it sexy? Probably not, unless you're into awkward and chunky things with the need for a lot of support.
Will it ride well? Who knows.
Is it unique? For sure.
I think the whole addition fits the park and city well. For some reason, I like the name. Also, I think that the main track and support structure looks like a curtain of steel, which is fitting.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Steelers suck just to get that out the way

Ride looks really cool and to name after a famous defence ( shame there isn't a major park to take advantage of the purple people eaters) is a nice touch. Think it has the potential to be the best in the park as when I visited earlier this year I would have probably went with thunderbolt as the most fun.

Hopefully S&S can create something in time and that is reliable

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Also, Joe from Ride Centerline had a hand in designing this coaster so I'm sure it will be smooth. He did a lot of Lightning run.

That's the design part of the smoothness possibly down, but don't forget the importance of precise manufacturing. The design can be as glassy as it gets, and the end result still as rough as a cheese grater, if the track manufacturing plant doesn't have the equipment to bend the track in exactly the right way.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
That's the design part of the smoothness possibly down, but don't forget the importance of precise manufacturing. The design can be as glassy as it gets, and the end result still as rough as a cheese grater, if the track manufacturing plant doesn't have the equipment to bend the track in exactly the right way.
This a million times.

Track fabrication is so important in coaster building and I wish you’d hear about it more often, as it’s the part of the industry I want to go into. Wide tolerances, metallurgical effects (welding mainly), working stresses (tube bending especially) and how they pan out over time, and several other factors stemming from the coaster’s birth on a factory floor can kill what would otherwise be an amazing ride. Ride enough precision manufactured steel coasters across time and this gets pretty obvious pretty fast, both as rides age and manufacturing technology advances.

This is why RMC’s rides are so glass smooth, they’ve found a much more precise and foolproof way to make track than used to be used. Not ridden a newer Mack or Vekoma but from what I hear they ride like you’re on a cloud, even though they’ve stuck to tubular steel.

Trains can also cause a rattle for a number of reasons, and then you have T3 where it’s the worst of both worlds. :p