What's new

Is Thorpe Park the UKs answer to Cedar Point/Magic Mountain?

Aaron

Hyper Poster
By which I mean, will it ever be able to reach the level of these massive multi-coaster parks?

Looking at their recent developments, there are a lot of coasters going in, and two more in the works now!

Currently their total stands at 6, and with these next two it will be 8! Will even beat/match Alton soon!

So really the discussion here is can they take it further to have 10+ coasters in the park? Do they have room to do so? They certainly seem to have a bit more freedom in terms of planning compared to Alton! It does seem (to me at least) like their main strategy now (and in the recent years) is to add coasters left right and centre!

Your thoughts?

Re: Is Thorpe Park the UKs answer to Cedar Point/Magic Mount

Of course not.... they have very limited space, limited funds and planning permission issues....

Exclamation marks at the end of every sentence don't make a topic more exciting.

Anyway, no. Though I suppose it's the closest thing we've got.

If thorpe are going to get more coasters (which I would love :--D ) then they're going to have to be compact or be smaller rides! What about a ride over the water?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Here's Thorpe park on Google maps and although it's an old map I can see lots of places where Thorpe could build a new ride: a bit of woodland next to stealth (close to burger king) until Rhumba rapids, behind Saw the ride and also parallel to the back of Nemesis Inferno. Tell me if you spot anything else!

Snoo said:
What do you mean?

I did edit it quite extensively for a long time, trying to get the edited screenshot to be big enough but I failed so I posted the link instead!

gavin said:
Exclamation marks at the end of every sentence don't make a topic more exciting.

Do apologise, that was not my intention, it's just the way I write.

Besides, this is only something I was wondering, it just seems to me like they are making efforts to cram more and more coasters into the park, building new islands for them to go on.

Excuse me for offering a point of view, and two flat unexplained "no" responses from moderators does not an interesting discussion (or good personal impression) make

Excuse me for offering my point of view. Didn't know I was obligated to back it up with an extensive post. Simple is better after all. ;)

The Forum Rules said:
Please avoid doing the following...
Spamming - Posting remarks that do not add to the discussion or contribute effectively. Avoid one word posts

You can offer a point of view, I wasn't disputing that, re-read what I said and you'll see that I said you didn't contribute to the discussion.

I just wanted to know why you disagreed with me is all!

Sam said:
Of course not.... they have very limited space, limited funds and planning permission issues....

There ya go! CP and MM don't really have those problems. TP does. Alton is the closest to those two parks in terms of fame but they aren't the same type of parks obviously.

Put up a few gigas and strata's, some 4D and ZacSpins and MAYBE you'll get closer. but **** no

I think you missed my point Snoo, but there we go.

I'm not saying they will ever match the level, I'm saying that they're growing to be the park with the most coasters in the UK and becoming a top contender for people seeking variety of options in a single park.

And with regards to the space there is loads of it, and indeed they've been making more for use, I don't recall them having planning trouble to create a brand new plot of land to build on

And remember, in britain we'll never have anything close to the amazing (from what I've seen, I'm sadly deprived so far) parks you guys have in the US, but my point is that Thorpe Park is developing into a similar vein.

Right, I'll expand:

No, because there isn't the space (even with the lake refills) to get to the size of most of the SF/CF parks. Thorpe aren't adding attractions any more or less frequently than a lot of other parks. If anyone is going for the "most coasters" idea, it's Flamingoland.

Having said that, it's the closest we have to a SF/CF park in that they are more focussed on thrill than any other UK park.

However (and I know people will disagree) Thorpe at least make much more effort with theming, another reason they're quite far removed from the American parks. The theming might not be as extensive as we'd like, but it's 100 times better than any SF/CF park I've been to.

gavin said:
However (and I know people will disagree) Thorpe at least make much more effort with theming, another reason they're quite far removed from the American parks. The theming might not be as extensive as we'd like, but it's 100 times better than any SF/CF park I've been to.

A few years ago I would have disagreed (stealth's theme is pretty basic, good, but basic), but seeing the effort they made with Saw and now the effort they are putting into Swarm (I've dropped the "the" already lol) I think my opinion has changed, and it seems they are approaching Alton Towers level of theming

I hadn't thought about the theming as a distinction, I guess that is a pretty significant difference

gavin said:
The theming might not be as extensive as we'd like, but it's 100 times better than any SF/CF park I've been to.

Only thing I disagree with.. well only to defend most CF parks.. as theme is just not of any priority in the parks. Yeah they add it, but not even close to the degree SF or TP attempts. I will admit that SF is just cartoon characters with cardboard cut outs most of the time.

But I will say that when parks that do try to theme actually pull it off.. it can be spectacular. Of course, here in the states, its mostly quantity over quality when it comes to coasters. More space, more money, more demand = what we get at the US mega parks.

Europe can really afford to skimp on 15 unthemed/slightly themed coasters and go with 6-7 average to above average to spectacular themed rides.

I think it's pretty clear none of the UK parks will come anywhere close to CP or MM. Although many of the points that have been brought up are very valid, I think another major factor that you aren't taking into account is the fact that CP and MM have both developed their popularity, fame, finances, and "bigness" (for lack of a better word) over decades and the fact that they have been so successful for so long is actually very important to their continued success. Both parks have had 10+ coasters for the majority of my lifetime (albeit) that may not be a long time...but it is in coaster years...

Snoo said:
Of course, here in the states, its mostly quantity over quality when it comes to coasters.

So Thorpe COULD make it into US realms? ;) (to be fair, it's not as full of mediocrity as Flamingoland is, but it's not too far above it).

I know what Az means, but I think they'll run out of room pretty soon and settle on much more infrequent additions. Thorpe and Flamingoland are both "fresh developers" and the only two we really have in the UK. The others are all a little more stagnant in terms of additions, mostly because they've already filled all their available space (or upset the neighbours too much).

So while it looks like both parks are heading to do a "US", in reality they just have enough money and room to expand that other parks in the UK are lacking. As a theme park, Thorpe is actually really young and needed the money from a massive company to be able to expand. Flamingoland just found their fortunes through canny business techniques and careful planning and expansion.

So no, both parks will soon run out of room and steam and rein things back in to cover their investments. Sit back and watch the cash roll in.

An interesting concept. Two thoughts:

Thorpe is the UK park with the largest similarity to SF/CP - It certainly puts thrills over theming, consumer experience and atmosphere

But...that doesn't actually mean that Thorpe Park is like SF/CP - It has higher overall levels of theming, doesn't put coasters in its car parks (despite the lack of space), and has much more of a 'theme park' feel as opposed to 'an amusement park with themed rides'.

Flamingoland isn't anything like SF/CP - its ride count may be high, but it's a small, independent park in the countryside middle of nowhere, with a zoo....it just happens to have a lot of creds

^I wasn't suggesting that Flamingoland is really anything like a CF or SF park. I was just saying that if any park in the UK was to go down the "most coasters" route (in the UK obviously, it will never be a world leader in that respect), then I'd say it's them.

In fact, back in the late 90s, they made a big deal about the number of coasters they had in comparison to other UK parks, but then went and actually removed 5 coasters between 1995-2005. Now, they've basically got back to where they were, in terms of coaster numbers, 10 years ago, only with much more permanent, arguably better quality, rides.

They may have been seen to take a "hit" with so many removals, but it was 100% in the best interests of developing the park.

Zoom is a filler coaster this year (a unique attraction though); they're on track for another "big" coaster in the next year or two.

Plus it's really not "in the middle of nowhere". It's very close to York and the East Coast holiday towns (Scarborough, Whitby, Bridlington), which get PACKED in the summer with people willing to take the odd day trip, not too far from Leeds and not all that far from Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough etc. It also gets a lot of Scottish visitors as it's basically the closest decent park they've got.

Then there's the holiday village, which I know for a fact rakes in a **** fortune, again from people coming from the North east and Scotland who stay for days (or even weeks) at a time.

Sorry, but it just annoys me that anything north of the M25 is seen as "the middle of nowhere", by enthusiasts who've only been up there for a "cred" run.

In terms of UK standards, it is our 'mini-Six Flags'. But it is highly unlikely that it'll reach the mass of say, Cedar Point.

I do like Thorpe Park, I think it's perfect if you're at the point of going higher onto more intense rides (e.g. young teenager who's recently rode everything at Alton Towers and wants a higher level of thrill). For me; it hasn't became as stale as everyone makes it out to be yet, I still enjoy the park, the theming is nice, the rides are great (even Colossus is worth-while), the diversity isn't bad, it's generally a great park.