What's new

Is Thorpe Park the UKs answer to Cedar Point/Magic Mountain?

Re: Is Thorpe Park the UKs answer to Cedar Point/Magic Mount

Britain needs another theme park to make us proud-TP is about the best we've got.

The problem with Thorpe is that they couldn't build a 300ft coaster because of planning permission and they wouldn't want to dwarf stealth...

Az said:
gavin said:
Exclamation marks at the end of every sentence don't make a topic more exciting.

Do apologise, that was not my intention, it's just the way I write.

Bro, don't apologise.
You have no reason to, especially if its people who like to throw their toys out all the time.

Remarkably, Thorpe is better than CP.

EDIT: Well it WOULD be, but Maverick exists so... maybe not.

Screaming Coasters said:
Bro, don't apologise.
You have no reason to, especially if its people who like to throw their toys out all the time.

Huh?

Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

And I don't really have anything to add other than to echo other's opinions that although it probably won't get near the levels of CP or MM, it's the closest in terms of thrills and such you guys will get.

Back on topic......

Thorpe Park is definatly our version of the US mega parks however its never going to sit on the same level, especially if your talking coaster count, But if Thorpe play clever and add a Hyper(Mega-Lite) and a good piece of wood for their 2015 and 2018 coasters repectively then they can certainly brag one of the finest coaster collections outside of the US.

The real challenge for thorpe is going to be when they run out of space, Its going to leave them with some interesting desicions to make.

DarrenBloomfield said:
But if Thorpe play clever and add a Hyper(Mega-Lite) and a good piece of wood for their 2015 and 2018 coasters repectively then they can certainly brag one of the finest coaster collections outside of the US.

Not really... It doesn't have the best coaster collection in the UK yet, and in the (unlikely) event of a mega-lite/hyper or wooden coaster, it would still be behind several parks on the continent in terms of coaster collections.

Colossus is "meh"; N:I is an average B&M invert; Stealth isn't the fastest in Europe, or the highest: simply "alright"; X:\NWO is a waste of space; Flying Fish???; The Swarm - we'll see.

There's nothing there which is "world class" at all. With the two new rides it might be able to "brag" one of the finest coaster collections in the UK, but we all know braggers are full of nothing but hot air and bull ;)

^I can see a lot of what you are saying and agree. But I for one have no doubt that The Swarm will be fantastic...although I doubt I will ever have the chance to ride it...at least in the foreseeable future...

furie said:
DarrenBloomfield said:
But if Thorpe play clever and add a Hyper(Mega-Lite) and a good piece of wood for their 2015 and 2018 coasters repectively then they can certainly brag one of the finest coaster collections outside of the US.

Not really... It doesn't have the best coaster collection in the UK yet, and in the (unlikely) event of a mega-lite/hyper or wooden coaster, it would still be behind several parks on the continent in terms of coaster collections.

Colossus is "meh"; N:I is an average B&M invert; Stealth isn't the fastest in Europe, or the highest: simply "alright"; X:\NWO is a waste of space; Flying Fish???; The Swarm - we'll see.

There's nothing there which is "world class" at all. With the two new rides it might be able to "brag" one of the finest coaster collections in the UK, but we all know braggers are full of nothing but hot air and bull ;)

If your talking ride quality then i certainly agree with the above, however im talking more about the variation of coasters avaliable....Invert,Looper,Accelerator,Dive coaster,Wingrider (Hyper,wood pending), Not many theme parks in Europe would be able to match that line up on paper, But then again youve got to expect other European parks to expand on the same level. However Thorpe seem to be adding at a greater pace to the rest,and regardless of where they stand i think its great to see a park on our shores expanding at such a rate. :--D

Alton: Flier, spinner, dive, launch, invert and "psychoaster".
Blackpool: wood, loop, invert, hyper, bobsled and horse.
Flamingoland: Launch, invert, dive, corkscrew, aeroplane

All are on par or with more than Thorpe, simply in the UK (this discounts quality of course :p ) Then:
Port Aventura: Launch/Wingrider, looper, duelling wood and Hyper (potential). On par with Thorpe, but with actual world class rides.
Walibi Holland: Launch (SBNO ATM), Hyper, Wood and Invert (again, with world class in there).
Parc Asterix: Looper, Wood, Invert, Bobsled (not far off Thorpe ATM).

Then let's bring out the big boys:
Heide: Launch, Invert, Wood, Dive, loop and bobsled (At best, Thorpe may live up/down to it's cousin).
Europa Park: Super Splash, Launch, Spinner, Hyper, indoor, bobsled and wood. Plus more and it's a park renowned for actually being very good all round.

Erm, lots more I imagine others can help out with. I'm not too big on European parks, but there are a handful that (even with two new "superb coasters") will always be ahead of Thorpe in terms of coasters... On paper at least.

I think only time will tell to see if either of us are right in this argument, Right now though i wouldn't even try to argue the case with you if were talking Thorpe Park 2011. However im optimistic that Thorpe has a bright future ahead of it, Im actually not a fan of TP even though you could depict me as a 'fanboy' from my argument, its in fact completely the opposite as im usually the first to put the park down, But it seems right now Thorpe holds the key to the future of the UK coaster industry wether me,you, or sneaky uncle ted like it or not.

I think a mega-light would be perfect for Thorpe, but I can't help wondering if the British public would see "no inversions and not very tall" as "= crap". And I bet Thorpe would see it that way, too.

Thorpe has a collection of meh rides, in that instance it couldn't be more like Cedar Point. The only great things CP has to offer are TTD and Maverick, which out of 16/17/whatever it is now is poor. Granted, Thorpe doesn't have anything great yet, but it's only got 6 coasters.

I hope CP and parks around the world look at the success of Maverick and stop being retarded, but it won't happen.