What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I just realized that they decided to use stairs instead of a funicular like on Millennium Force. I would hate to climb those stairs every morning for inspection...

A

Anonymous

The second support of the lift have been topped of, so the rest of the truss will soon be in place (depending on weather of course).

kdconstr.jpg

RCF

Strata Poster
kdconstr.jpg

I've heard news that this will try to be topped off on Friday, and as you can see, another crane has been assembled, which is most likely for the topping of the lift hill.

WOW.

The transition looks really sharp too, unlike Millie which is gradual and really only maintains the steepnessfor a short period of time. After seeing actual pictures of it, instead of just renderings, I do think this could be a top ten coaster. Just look at how fast it goes from that drop into the turn!

RCF

Strata Poster
I remember reading a couple of pages back someone was wondering whether that small support was temporary or permanent, for they had not seen it in the design, well looking at the ride renderings you can see that there is supposed to be a support there, it is not temporary.

KD02.jpg

As you can see near the bottom, there is that small support.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
There is no smaller support. That's all supporting the track in front. Either way, they mentioned in the blog that it is temporary. So once the structure is complete, that support will go.

RCF

Strata Poster
Damn well this seems to be my first offense. Oh darn. :p Looks like I have to leave and recede into a cave for the rest of my life

:wink:

Snoo

The Legend
Apparently, the structure of the arch cannot support the track until it is complete. I could see this being true, as in span bridges or anything which has to be built from one side to connect to another has supports which are later removed.

The extra support isn't actually connected to the track either, but is resting on the support.

Is the webcam working for everyone else? I think it's probably just my computer, but of course it decides not to work when the coaster gets topped off, which is more or less what I've been waiting to see.

Screenshot for me anyone? :p

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
UC said:
My question is that why would you bother to go back and remove the support?

why would you do more than is absolutely necessary...for the sake of aesthetics?

You answered your own question there.

It's purtier without the support, but you can't build the arch without the help.

^ To be fair, there's risk when building ANY coaster.. So that's almost like saying, why even build a coaster when there's the slight risk something can go wrong?

They know what they're doing.. Trust it :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.