Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
monkeyonatable said:
ibreathesbs said:
monkeyonatable said:
The only problem I see with a vertical lift is that you might need guide wires coming off of it to keep it standing; like a cell phone tower. I say this because of the height of the lift and the fact it could topple over from a strong gust of wind.

That's like saying you need guide wire on drop towers...some of you kids failed Science...I'm sure of it.

No I didnt fail, and I didn't fail at engineering (which I am taking college level classes in both) either. I was looking at it from an engineering stand point, and to me it just seemed like a huge concern.

Like I said...thats like saying a drop tower needs guide wire or any other tall vertical structure with a foundation.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
ibreathesbs said:
monkeyonatable said:
ibreathesbs said:
monkeyonatable said:
The only problem I see with a vertical lift is that you might need guide wires coming off of it to keep it standing; like a cell phone tower. I say this because of the height of the lift and the fact it could topple over from a strong gust of wind.

That's like saying you need guide wire on drop towers...some of you kids failed Science...I'm sure of it.

No I didnt fail, and I didn't fail at engineering (which I am taking college level classes in both) either. I was looking at it from an engineering stand point, and to me it just seemed like a huge concern.

Like I said...thats like saying a drop tower needs guide wire or any other tall vertical structure with a foundation.

I know, I was just pointing out a concern I had

vermilionguy

Roller Poster
Its a vertical lift and I just got goosebumps...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXII8cL_3M4&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.screamscape.com%2Fhtml%2Fkings_dominion.htm&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^Do you have an official source on the vertical thing?

Dave said:
Radical as it may be lets wait for it to start going up...

Balls to that! Where's the fun in just sitting around waiting for official announcements? :lol:

I have to say, I did some highly complicated experiments with a bottle opener and angles on Saturday night while drunk.

I came to the conclusion that although the lift hill is steep, I also now join the "not over 60 degree" club. It was clearly a very scientific experiment :lol:

Anyway, it still doesn't explain the mysterious track and supports...

madhjsp

Giga Poster
At 0:22 in the video above you can see a silhouette of the lift and first drop. It looks very steep, maybe vertical, but I doubt that's a straight profile shot. The drawing's probably from an angle like this:
p730.jpg

So yeah, I still say 45 degrees.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
My experiment (which was very scientific :p ) could not even get close to 45 degrees :)

Lofty

CF Legend
I really don't buy into that video one bit, I mean I could make that within 20minutes - half an hour, I don't think KD would spend that little time on a professional looking teaser don't you?

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah them videos show alot of whats going on but my god, I don't think I've ever heard an as annoying person EVER!

Snoo

The Legend
Yes, how could we forget, being dedicated to a hobby means you have no life. Man, all my years of running track must mean I do nothing. :p

madhjsp

Giga Poster
They are, but I wish they wouldn't make updates until there's something worth updating about. There's really nothing new in this video.

I think it's silly that everyone is making fun of him for taking videos and stuff.. I mean, the vast majority of us are here because we're coaster nerds, so it's not like we're that much better :p . Besides, if you're making fun of the video, you obviously watched it, soo..

RCF

Strata Poster
^ Nice defense. But I have to agree he is kinda annoying. His voice is like a slow cartoon character.

Lofty

CF Legend
We're not piss taking because of him making videos, the videos are good, its just he is VERY annoying, he just acts like an idiot, I don't know many UK members that act like him lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.