What's new

How old were you when you became an enthusiast?

What age did you become a theme park enthusiast?

• Under 12

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • 12-15

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • 16-20

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • 30-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have loved rides for as long as I can remember. As a small child I went to Gilivers Milton Keynes a lot. I became an enthusiast when I was ten and I went to Orlando and went on Space Mountain and the Rock N Rollercoaster.

9 years old in 2003 when I stuffed my shoes with tissue just to get taller so I could meet 1.4m. I rode collossus and fell in love , then I braved Nemesis Inferno . Now I follow most UK ride developments and have a merlin anuual pass . Also went to 4 six flag parks in America and I have now ridden 80 odd coasters so yh :)

I became an enthusiast after years of being horribly afraid of heights. I always thought they looked fun but whenever my dad and my sister (the coaster lovers) tried to get me to go on one I chickened out. I believe I was around 12 when i finally got on The Mountain trio at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. After that we went back to BGW the next summer and my Dad and sister finally got me a Apollo's Chariot (Which I consider to be my first major coaster and still my favorite). I've been an enthusiast ever since. :--D

I became one a couple years ago when I went on Bizarro. I was always scared of them when I was a little and only went on slower coasters that didn't go upside down. Over the years I became a little bit more adventurous and started going faster and on ones with corkscrews and loops. But Bizarro really is what made me a true enthusiast and I love it. Since then I've been to hershey and both universal parks in florida and I loved every minute. Probably going to go back to hershey in august to go on skyrush! :D

I remember being mesmerized just watching the roller coasters on my first trip to Alton Towers in 1992, aged 6. It became a family annual trip in Oct half term during my childhood, and I used to save all my A.T. maps and stick them on my wall :) along with any other press clippings for new coasters opening in U.K. parks. I taped that old Discovery Channel documentary on 'most extreme' roller coasters and used to watch it repeatedly, still remember the footage of the woman fearing for her life on Alpengeist...

But it was my late teens (2006 onwards) when I started planning every trip or holiday around theme parks with great-looking coasters, and spending hours studying coaster designs on RCDB. This is the point when I'd consider myself to have become an enthusiast, despite now being a newbie to the C.F. forum...after all, my Coaster Count can only get bigger from here on, right? :--D

I loved watching roller coasters from an early age, sitting at Cedar Point and watching them run cycle after cycle. It definitely played into my obsession for model trains as well. :wink:

I did not become a "formal" enthusiast until 2002, when I moved back to Sandusky and was able to visit Cedar Point on a more regular basis. That also happened to be the time when I was joining online forums such as CoasterForce and Atari (where Mr. Snoo and I first met!), and it has been romance ever since.

Under 12

In fact I remember when:
1999 when I was 11 years old.

Went to Six Flags Great Adventure for the first time and did most of the coasters there at the time including B&R the Chiller and the Great American Scream Machine. I fell in love.
I've been on coasters before, but they were the little stuff at the beach....I became a full fledged enthusiast that day.

Later that year went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg with Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist. Was a good year!

Radaxian said:
started planning every trip or holiday around theme parks , and spending hours studying coaster designs on RCDB.

Ha same here! I loved rides so much my family made sure to hit a park on every vacation we had (which is why I rode so many by the time I was already 18). I also spent sooo much time on RCDB just looking at pictures, studying layouts and elements.

RCT of course!

I think I've gone a bit overboard with the whole enthusiast thing... I'm only 13 and getting my 100th credit tomorrow! This is what I get for loving coasters my whole life...

Radaxian said:
.after all, my Coaster Count can only get bigger from here on, right? :--D

Nah, mine actually got smaller after I'd been here for a couple of years... You'll find out why in due course :lol:

Ride of Steel said:
I think I've gone a bit overboard with the whole enthusiast thing... I'm only 13 and getting my 100th credit tomorrow! This is what I get for loving coasters my whole life...

Not really, Maxi-Minor_Furie will hit 50 in August and he's only six and doesn't really like coasters ;) :p

I think Minor_Furie hit 150 when he was 1, but that's definitely the benefits of a coaster enthusiast father and enjoying them :lol:

Was 33 when I joined cf so I guess then but always liked them. Just a shame by 38 I am bored of them and that's due to
looking at them in a different way.

I just want to go back to enjoying a coaster again.

marc said:
I just want to go back to enjoying a coaster again.

Oddly I am doing this year. I even enjoyed 13 last weekend. I'm not saying I love them all, but I'm becoming much less critical and just enjoying myself more. I still AM critical, but while I'm riding I'm generally enjoying anything that gives even the slightest jot of fun.

Despite not finding many "great" coasters in Germany, it's reignited my love for riding them - it's weird that going on a blindingly awesome coaster like EGF could make me enjoy 13 though. It did start with Swarm though, which I just found enjoyable and massively re-ridable.

After my first ever coaster ride on Loch Ness Monster, I was actually pretty afraid of coasters for a couple years. I would only be able to work up the courage to ride one or two per day if my family went to a theme park. Despite that, I was fascinated by them and would spend hours learning about them online, looking at pictures on RCDB, reading articles, and watching videos.

In 1999, Apollo's Chariot started to lighten my coaster fears. Sure, my first ride on it and the next few after that were pretty scary to me, but so thrilling and fun at the same time that I didn't mind getting back in line. It even helped me convince myself I could ride Alpengeist, which I had never ridden in the 2 years previous that I had been going to Busch Gardens!

The first time I can remember thinking like an enthusiast, though, was my first trip to Busch Gardens Tampa back in 2003. I had been scouting Kumba & Montu on RCDB and was super excited to ride them. This is the earliest I can remember riding a coaster for the first time without a hint of fear or intimidation, just pure excitement. So I guess I've been an "enthusiast," in some sense of the term, for about 9 years. But as far as the keeping-track-of-credits and planning-trips-based-entirely-around-theme-parks aspects go, that's only been the case for me since 2007, my first trip to Cedar Point.

I was afraid that would happen to me, becoming too analytical and what not and starting to dislike them.
It hasn't happened yet though, I manage to just turn that part off when at a park. It's rare that I don't enjoy a coaster, and that's usually because it's too family (like a really lame mine train) or too painful.

Ride of Steel you can never go overboard!
And I thought my 74 by 23 was impressive...
Once I land a job I may head over to Brooklyn and make the Cyclone number 75

I can't believe some of the people here at CF (or Rob from TPR) that have done anything I can pick out.
Coasters in China, Korea, new ones across the world. How do some of you people afford this??

furie said:
Nah, mine actually got smaller after I'd been here for a couple of years... You'll find out why in due course :lol:

Aww, I wanna know now!! :eek:

JJLehto said:
I can't believe some of the people here at CF (or Rob from TPR) that have done anything I can pick out. Coasters in China, Korea, new ones across the world. How do some of you people afford this??

Tell me about it! Can't believe the amount of money I just shelled out to book a week long coastour across France and Germany; and these guys go all over the world - seemingly all the time! How do they afford it?!

Seriously.
I assumed they must get paid to do it, or they are loaded!
We need ECG in here!

Until a better job comes through I can barely afford to go less than an hour way and ride the Cyclone...
though I'm still gunna do it haha

It's just about having a focus on your hobby. Okay, good jobs with plenty of holidays help, but it's the focus that really matters.

Spend an afternoon in town with friends eating pasties and drinking latte? Not if you want to save to get to Japan. It's about working out where to place funds and what's important.

Mike did a year placement in America with Disney, and then more university work in Australia which got him to the right side of the world for China. It's about making opportunities for yourself too. Every has the ability to do it, but whether you're committed to it is a different matter ;)

Radaxian... Keep an eye out and you'll find out ;)