What's new

How old were you when you became an enthusiast?

What age did you become a theme park enthusiast?

• Under 12

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • 12-15

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • 16-20

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • 30-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was 10 when i became tall enough to ride, my first was R&RC at Hollywood Studios, i was hooked and for the 6 years since i have ridden most major british coasters, floridian coasters, some calafornian (i lived in florida from age 7 til 13) so i read up on various articles, watched videos etc, so i guess i was an early bloomer

I've been an enthusiast since my mother tried to induce a miscarriage at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in 1979.

I win.

^Oh my gosh! That is... um... I'm not really sure what to say....
I remember being an enthusiast since I was about 7. I always wanted to go on the big coasters. Then one day my Mum took me to Chessy without telling me where we were going. I loved it. Unfortunatly I could only go on Vampire, and I don't remember DF being there. But after riding Vampire, I became one of you...

gavin said:
I've been an enthusiast since my mother tried to induce a miscarriage at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in 1979.

I win.

But wait... did your father ride before conception? That is the question. :redhotevil:

I became an enthusiast at 17 after my first trip to Alton Towers with Totton College for my Maths and Physics Al levels coursework 2002. I had been taken quitea few times to Chessington and Thorpe throughout my childhood but I was one of those scared easily kids. After that first ride on Nemesis which was my first looping coaster I was hooked. By the end of that first night I had POV's, ride music and planned our Lads turning 18 holiday at Port Aventura.. Never looked back since..

ciallkennett said:
I was 13 or 14. Second trip to Alton Towers. First ride on Nemesis and bam, here I am now.

Change my age for 11 and on my first trip to Towers and there's my answer...

Just... Nemesis <3

I was 17, and I had to force myself on Colossus during a college trip to Thorpe because I was sick of being scared of rides. Sure, I may have **** myself but I came off buzzing and wanted more. When I got home that day I spent the entire evening watching every single POV I could find on YouTube, ha. And the rest is history...

Ugh, can't believe I used to look at Inferno and shake with fear </3

I was always fascinated by coaster, but it wasn't until I was 11 and broke my fear that I began riding that, and it only took a few years afterwards for me to become a real enthusiast.

Rode Pepsi Max when I was 9 and shat a brick. Only really started to ride/enjoy/become interested the big ones in 2004, aged 12 I guess...

gavin said:

I win.

The awkward moment when the noobs don't know what to make of gavin <3

I guess around......14? I've always loved rides and parks, but I think it was RCT and CF that really sparked the enthusiasm.

Oh I really dont know. I used to love going to Pleasurewood as wee nipper, but my first big park visit was Alton in 1996, when I was 12.

When I was 6 years old, my parents took me to Hersheypark. And I got the courage to ride Comet and Trailblazer. Once I was done, I couldn't stop. And I rode my first looping coaster a year later. And that was SooperDooperLooper. 96 coaster rides later, I'm still in love. :--D

One of my first memories is looking up at a huge looming structure (I suspect it was s tiny spinning mouse travelling coaster) and saying "Mummy, mummy, can I go on it?!" only to be told that I couldn't :( Made me terrified of coasters for years, which was annoying considering I had just found something I was apparently seriously obsessed by.

Rode my first coaster (Shockwave at Drayton) when I was 11ish and chuffing loved it.

So I've been an enthusiast since I was around 3, but riding coasters since I was 11. Started travelling the country and eventually the word to ride coasters in 2002.

I weren't really interested in Theme Parks when I was younger, I went to parks but was not overly interested. I didn't really become an enthusiast until 2006 when I had my first trip to Thorpe Park Fright Night, which blew my mind and I have been hooked ever since.
So, 2006, I would have been 20.

As a child, I really enjoyed playing RCT and the like, but I never liked the look of actual roller coasters. It wasn't until a school trip to Paris at the age of 12 that I rode, as far as I can remember, my first real roller coaster; Trace du Hourra. Though I didn't manage to brave Indiana Jones or Goudurix on that holiday, riding Tonnerre de Zeus and Space Mountain 2 (someone lied saying it didn't have an inversion - but I was grateful afterwards!), I realised how much I actually enjoyed visiting the parks. I got into researching etc. and the following year rides on Nemesis and Oblivion got me hooked.

^Ha, that bit about the person lying! I have done that to some of my friends. There was a guy I know who hates coasters, and we went to X: NWO. We told him it was a dark ride. When we were sitting in the station I said "Ok, we are just going to go round that corner, and then some stuff will explode and stuff like that". Then it went backwards, and he kept hitting me for the rest of the ride.
Although, that is how I went on my first looping coaster. I was at Thorpe Park, and the guy I was with said "Ok, we'll go on Loggers Leap first". It was only when I got to the station that I realised that it was Colossus. I was an idiot back then... :p

Dad won't get on a roller coaster, so Mom was counting the inches till I was tall enough to get on a roller coaster with her. Still I didn't get on my first real coaster until I was about 13 after we moved to Florida. It was the woodie at Boardwalk and Baseball, the Florida Hurricane.

Now it lives in Arkansas and goes by the name Arkansas Twister. It's a pretty basic ride but I'm hoping to get down there someday soon to ride it again. You never forget your first.

The only thing I miss about living in Florida is having all those awesome roller coasters practically in my backyard. Well, that and the thunderstorms.