Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 20 days+

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Never!

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

Snoo

The Legend
Last time was in Kemah, Texas a few months ago. Since I got a child, no need to really.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: How often do you get drunk?

I haven't been drunk in a year and a half, and before that it was MAYBE once every 3-4 months. Probably bachelor parties/friends weddings will be it for me. Not a fan of feeling like **** the next day.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Like every couple of months I guess? I'll get really badly drunk, pass out, wake up in the morning regretting everything then do it all over again XD

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love drinking, and I enjoy getting drunk (or at least tipsy) as a way to relax. I tend to find after a week at work, I'm knackered on a Friday night and just want to be in bed by about 10:30, but it seems a waste of the limited free time I have. So several beers or a bottle or two of wine in front of a film or two is great. The alcohol perks me up and keeps me going through the films until the films are finished.

I also love going out for beers and a chat with friends.

I don't really do drinking without getting drunk though. One or two isn't enough, so I'll either drink, or not.

I do suffer hangovers, and they're getting worse as I get older. Fortunately, I'm not one to dwell on them and can function as a human being (including getting up early with children) with a hangover without it being a major upset to my life. In fact, because I've generally had such a relaxing evening and wound down, I tend to be slightly better hungover than sober.

Which leads me on to... I've not had a drink (except for a lager shandy on Friday night with Ian and Jerry) since April.

It's quite odd taking a break from something which has become almost habitual (almost, I always fight something when it becomes a regular need and change things to avoid it) for a long time. Weekends, by and large, were a few drinks Friday and Saturday evening as a "reward" for working. It wasn't every Friday and every Saturday, or every weekend, but it was certainly most.

So, how has it changed me? Not a great deal, but...

I'm less motivated to a degree. It's an odd one, but I don't really have a "hardcore" release for tension now, a way to switch off and really relax. When you're hungover, it's true that you're less likely to "do things" because you feel a bit turd, but as I say, I tend not to let it get to me. I never liked sitting around feeling ill, so I'd get up and do stuff. I'd also feel that I've had my "relaxation", so now it's time to use my spare time for something constructive.

I just don't really have that drive any more. I'm chasing relaxation in my spare time now. It's compounded a lot by the fact that by not drinking, I'm losing time because I don't have the alcohol keeping me going for longer hours. Weekend bed time is the same as weekday now, so I lose between 2-4 hours each Friday and Saturday compared to before.

Linked to this, I'm also less creative. This is something that I've noticed over the years and it's been backed up by science to a degree too. When you take any substance which causes a problem with short term memory, it increases the activity in the creative part of the brain.

The theory is something like this. Normally, your brain is absorbing everything that is happening, looking at your short term memory and deciding what to put into long term memory. It's a constant process that forms our memories and our learning.

When you interrupt the ability of the brain to move experiences from short term to long term memory, the brain tries to do it using other memories to fill in the gaps, but it's an exceptionally flawed process. What happens is that your brain starts making really odd connections in your long term memory functions. This is essentially the same thing that drives the creative process.

I either don't have a natural creative process, or it's become reliant on chemicals over the years. I can't really remember enough about my childhood to say which to be honest. I suspect a bit of both, but the nett effect is that I'm less creative and less motivated. I'm a little more boring.

Having said that, I'm healthier (losing weight), probably less annoying and a little better off.

I'm going to have a drink or ten for my 40th birthday next month, but I don't know if I'll then fall back into old patterns, or carry on. I really do enjoy drinking and being drunk, so it's hard to not do it.

I'll revisit the topic in two months time :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's drinking and then there's being drunk. I tend to drink a beer, glass of wine or a G&T almost every day, but on a Friday or Saturday night, I will get blotto drunk if the opportunity presents itself.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This past school year, I would have at least a casual beer or two every weekend, usually both Friday and Saturday nights. I'd say I got drunk probably once every other week. That's college for you, though!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Back in college? Just about every weekend. Occasional weekdays, too. I was Mr. Responsibility.

Now? Maybe every other weekend, and even then, generally not to the level I would when I was in school. I still enjoy drinking socially at bars and parties, but I've finally learned how to drink in moderation, and it's without a doubt 100x better than getting blasted. You don't feel like **** the next day, you run way less of a risk of saying or doing something stupid or embarrassing, and you actually remember the conversations you had & the people you met. It's still fun to get buzzed or even a little drunk, but getting absolutely gassed has really lost its appeal to me.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
Depends on if I go out or I'm round a friends house and we raid the alcohol stash lol. Back at uni I got drunk most evenings but now it seems more like a treat every couple months or so. :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
Antinos said:
This past school year, I would have at least a casual beer or two every weekend, usually both Friday and Saturday nights. I'd say I got drunk probably once every other week. That's college for you, though!

Hahaha I'd love to see how you lot would survive a UK university lifestyle XD

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I tend to go out and spend a full weekend partying in Manchester around once a month or so. I'll usually get moderately drunk two nights in a row (or occasionally three if I'm having a long weekend away and don't plan on doing much during the day), but I tend not to drink alcohol much at home* in the gaps between the manic weekends away.

That said, I didn't drink at all in my first 18 months at Uni. I can easily enjoy a night out when completely sober, and most people wouldn't notice a lot of difference. I tend to prefer having some alcohol in my system if I'm out clubbing these days though.

* Written with an alcoholic beverage in hand. You've caught me on one of the rare occasions when I do fancy a drink at home.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
nadroJ said:
Antinos said:

My school is known as a drinking school. I'm sure I can get by just fine across the pond.

peep

CF Legend
Antinos said:
nadroJ said:
Antinos said:

My school is known as a drinking school. I'm sure I can get by just fine across the pond.

I don't know about that. We're pretty hardcore when it comes to binge drinking :p

I don't really drink unless I'm out for a social event and I want to get drunk and relax, have a good time. I used to be out all the time, living a student lifestyle with friends that were in uni but actually working full time meant lots of alcohol and many messy nights. I rarely go out now though, mainly because I work awkward hours and spend most of my money on trips.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I like a good drink, but rarely get intoxicated to the point of having blurred memories/no memory of an evening whatsoever - that has only occurred to me three times (including twice in one week in my last week at uni this year).

I'm usually just drunk and merry with relatively good control over myself - I'd say that happens about every 2-3 weeks at university and considerably less outside of university.