What's new

How Blackpool can Improve the Big One?

tks

Strata Poster
Keep the ride as it's iconic to Blackpool, but reshape the hills after the first drop so they provide some airtime! Do something about the horrendous lapbars which give my legs cramp for some reason. Oh and make the MCBR a bit less forceful. It really does slam on the brake pedal a bit too hard.

Who designed the thing anyway?

A

Anonymous

I think it was either all Arrow or a colab of Arrow and someone within BPB's inhouse dept.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Redisign the ride so it doesn't have straight hills. These are bad for smoothness, speed and airtime. Maybe make them steeper. Make the first drop better, it is so underwhelming, and should be the highlight, but as of now it is rubbish. Reduce the power of the MCBR and redign the helix and track until the tunnel.
This will create more airtime, make the ride more thrilling and for longer, I don't understand why they slow it so much and put the pointless helix and flat bit in, surely a hill or two could have been built before the tunnel. Also, bank the track properly.

For the record, Arrow designed how PBB wanted it. The re-profiling of the drop, turn and anything else that has changed was done by Allott & Lomax.

A

Anonymous

Maily becase they still ride it even though they dont like it. or they just like to bitch nomatter what.

A

Anonymous

Jools said:
I was wondering what you guys think Blackpool could do to improve the ride and if what I'm saying here is correct.

Fill track with sand to make ride less noisy and smoother, maybe creating less friction to make the ride faster and therefore more airtime?

Heavier wheels, makes the ride faster and smoother also?

Trims don't slow the ride down so much, creating a more forecful third section of the ride.

New train from Morgan like the new track, would they be better?

Am I right?

This should make the ride a better experience and rate higher in the MHP, baring in mind:

Phantom rating: #22
Steel Dragon rating: #50
Magnum XL rating: #78 and rates highly on other polls
Steel Force rating: #85
Steel Eel: #106
PMBO rating: #228 (project: #80ish)

I think that if it were to be improved that they should improve the trains so it doesnt slow down so much on some of the hills or maybe lower some but it will never happen.

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
End of the day it was Europes Tallest fastest roller coaster!!

I think they need to pull something else down like the iron brew ride and get something else in!

A

Anonymous

Why pull down IRN BRU when its a class coaster that has something that others don't.

PMBO is prety good it can be boreing at times but it is still prety good.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
PPB arn't likely to be yanking it down any time soon, are they? It's still their iconic attraction. If you're looking for a realistic, cheap option to improving the ride it's simple in my book... Reduce the trims before the helix.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think there's a problem with adjusting the MCBR, and that problem is the final brake run, The train's fly up into that quick enough, and violent enough as it is, let alone being any quicker after adjusting the MCBR.

And I agree with most people, that after the first drop, there's nothings thats really 'intense' or remotely scary. All the drops after the first drop are about as steep as the lift hill. But changing that will never happen, people love the ride as it is, its only us entusiasts that bash it constantly.

In my opinion, its not the best coaster at the park, but it is fun, it has a high re-ride-ability factor, and thats why I like it.

I think new trains would be a good idea though.

Dave

CF Legend
As I always say, remove after the first drop and get Morgan in. Look at how well praised Phantoms Revenge is!

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
Gangster4Life said:
I agree with Snoo, take it out, and build something better (a launch coaster) :lol:

They have IRN BRU for that.
Why the heck is everybody for taking the ride apart? Its no good people saying 'I want it to be like Phantoms revenge. That is America, This is Blackpool ffs. Even if they did take it out, who would want to go?
Nothing needs to be done to PMBO apart from removing them horrid and ugly mid break runs.

Also, I dont understand people saying the pleasure beach are tight. They might have only bought in Valhalla, but my god its the best water ride in the UK.