What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

Re: "Skyrush" - Intamin Hyper - Hersheypark

^They're not all rough and bumpy, no. Most are though.

Am I the only one that thinks the rubber vest is softer than the cloth one? I rode Tornado at Bakken and thought that the cloth OTSR was horrible..

I think people are sissies and complain way the hell too much.
Normal Intamin OTSR - perfectly fine
Cheetah Hunt Intamin Restraint - perfectly fine
I305 cloth restraints - perfectly fine

Never have I had a rough ride on any intamin. Intamin has a few problems, but rough rides is definetly not one of them. If you ever were to hit your head a bit on the restraints, it would be because of rapid transitions, not a rough ride eg Maverick. Its extremely smooth, but you might hit your head a bit on the restraints.
Even then, people just need to man up and deal with it. Its not bad at all.

In terms of Skyrush, It will be smooth and even if it does have OTSR, youre not going to be hitting your head like you do on a Vekoma or Arrow ride.
I dont understand why people are saying that Intamin rides are rough.
Sure, they have other problems, like not always getting their rides to work, but next to B&M, Intamin makes the smoothest rides out, and Skyrush will be no exception.

^ Because most of them ARE! Fahrenheit and Storm Runner, while both fun, made me feel like I was being rattled throughout the entire course. Maverick, is a rough ride cause of the quick transitions and Ive watched the GP get off rubbing their necks due to not knowing how to 'ride' the ride. My first ride of Mav was absolute trash as my head got thrashed between the harness cause I couldnt even prepare myself for the transitions (still loved the ride though!).

Plus, it isnt so much as we bitch cause they hurt (sure, a lot of them do), I just find it utterly **** annoying as it causes my eyes to swim around and I then have a migraine when I get off (and I love rough rides). I dont cry oww, but i get annoyed by it quick. Arrow and Vekoma should have those issues, not some company who is fighting for number 1.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Perhaps I just dont feel any of this supposed 'rattling'.
To me, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner and Maverick were all butter smooth. I had no problem with any of the transitions.

Some of the supports went for a ride down creek when the creek flooded a bit. According to the one person, he saw one of the floating supports knock into one already up.

Switching between the hideouts'...

^ Yeah, i the keystone thrills update they said one of the support pieces had floated and hit a large footer, then rested there.

owenrita121 said:
Intamin make some of the smoothest rides in the world, so I find it very rich that you can say that they are all rough and bumpy.
It's not that they're necessarily rough. It's more that they have such sharp, snappy transitions that they tend to throw you around and bash you into the restraint unless you know the ride well enough to either brace yourself or roll with the transitions.

Storm Runner was pretty harsh. Fahrenheit got me a bit going through the corkscrews (although the rest of the ride layout was fine). iSpeed was just unpleasant from start to finish.

If you're talking about rides like Rita and Stealth, then yes the OTSRs aren't a big deal. Ride something that's a bit more twisty with those restraints, then we'll talk.

^^ It seems like this is a matter of opinion.
Because Ive been on rides that are plenty twisty (Storm Runner, Maverick, Intimidator 305) and never had a problem with any of the restraints.

On the topic of Skyrush, from what Ive seen (which hasnt been very much though), it doesnt seem to be that twisty and wont really matter if it has over the shoulder lap bars, lap bars themselves or just the plain OTSR's.

Anyways, its nice to see more supports coming along, but isnt this usually the part that goes really quickly? It seems like its still taking some time to get all the footers done and supports in and finally getting some good sections of track installed.

The Intamin OTSR's can be painful for people of a certain height range and build.

^ Fair enough then.
Im fairly tall, but fairly skinny so maybe thats why Ive never had any problems with them?

D1993 said:
Im fairly tall, but fairly skinny so maybe thats why Ive never had any problems with them?
But, so am I and I've still had pain on them. The main one being Baco, with it's first drop and Inline. It can be so intense and painful on your thighs.

Also haven't had any problems with Intamin OTSR either and I'm 6'5" although I've never ridden Furious Baco.

I love restraint discussions :lol:

Those who have never had a painful restraint experience can't comprehend how anyone could feel pain. Those who have can comprehend that maybe it's just them and others are fine, but that comprehension doesn't ease the pain you've had.

What I find weird is that I'm 6' tall, and find that most (OTS)restraints clamp me at my shoulders. So ride like Rita with strong airtime hurt because all my upper body weight is pressed against my shoulders. I can understand for shorter people it not hurting, because their thighs take most of the weight, plus they have a little give before they hit restraint.

However, I'm not quite tall enough, so I do find the lateral movements make me hit my upper neck/lower jaw on those hardened Intamin restraints. So it's a double whammy for me.

I suspect though that the fact I'm broad and fat doesn't help either. I'm jammed into the restraints, so there's very little give which I think adds to the pain factor.

The end result is that I've had a degree of "pain" on every Intamin I've been on with OTSR, though it's absolutely not restricted to Intamin.

What people really need to do though is not just immediately write off those of us who do suffer pain in the restraints as big girls blouses. It's a real issue... I may have to start a charity for those of us who suffer, it's a legitimate disability. Anyone want to help me make a Christmas charity single?

(To the tune of "Do they know it's Christmas")
#Inta-min restraints, there's no need to be afraid.
Inta-min restraints, it's just the way that you're made.
And in this world of coasters, you can have a ride of joy.
Throw your arms up in the air, for your air time!

But say a prayer, pray for the other ones.
The ones who feel pain, while you're having fun
There's a height and weight window.
And it's a window of pain and fear.

Where the only screams out-flowing, are the bitter screams of pain
And the mechanism locking on the should pads of doom
Well this ride thank God it's them, instead of you!

And there won't be thrill and comfort, at Hersheypark this year
The greatest gift they'll get this year; traction
Where neck chopping times are frequent, no taller man is safe
Do they know it's Intamin at all?

(Here's to you)
Raise lap bars for everyone.
(Here's to them)
Underneath the shoulder ones.
Do they know there's any airtime at all?

Nice lap bars, nice lap bars.
Nice lap bars.
Let them know there's still airtime again!

Repeat until end#

^^Truly brilliant. I love it. And I do know that there can be extreme pain due to OTSR, but I personally haven't really experienced much pain with Intamin coasters. However, Arrow OTSR are deadly to someone like me at 6'5" and there have been others. We can always hope...although I don't really see the need for anything more than a lapbar on Skyrush...

And I'm sure this was discussed to death somewhere earlier in this thread but what's the deal with the fat spine?