What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

davidm

Strata Poster
Wasn't this rumoured a while back - like the end of last season. Then they decided it wouldn't be open at the start of the season but would be trying to get it open later?
(Can't find that discussion though, might be making it up)

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Wasn't this rumoured a while back - like the end of last season. Then they decided it wouldn't be open at the start of the season but would be trying to get it open later?
(Can't find that discussion though, might be making it up)
Yeah, they did say it wouldn't open for the start of the season, but later in 2017.
Really a shame, I was looking forward to ride Colossos at the end of the year. I wonder what's wrong with it though that it would take an entire season to fix :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Annoying. I'm almost certainly going in the summer. I've ridden it before, but would've liked some rerides.

S

SimonSays99

Rumor in German forums has it that they have extensive damage to the woodwork.

Will

Strata Poster
I'd already cut my trip in 6 weeks from two days to one after the initial delay was announced, but this can't be good news at all :(
I see they've responded in true Merlin style by building a fence around it and whilst my German isn't the best, I could tell the facebook comments they were receiving yesterday were not the friendliest - a few people seemed to be saying they'd rather do Hansa this year. I hope they can get it sorted sooner rather than later.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Reading through the FB comments, a lot of people are actually quite upset about the fence as well for some reason? Even going so far that it's a measure to hide how broken down the ride looks and saying it's going to be demolished soon. I don't think they'll take down their biggest ride, but not sure why they would put up a fence either tbh.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
First Son of Beast, now this... Why is it that the height record for operating woodies keeps decreasing? Good thing we still have Mean Streak to look forward to...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't think they'll take down their biggest ride, but not sure why they would put up a fence either tbh.
It could be a couple of things:
  • I'm not particularly familiar with the regulations in the UK, but there are some H&S requirements in boarding up construction sites to prevent site activities straying into public spaces. It's very common to see boarding like this on construction sites in the UK, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar regulation in other countries. It means work is much better separated from public spaces - including things like flying debris or falling objects.
  • The boarding will provide better sound proofing, meaning you might be able to get away with running machinery (diggers or power tools) close to the public areas without having as much of an impact on the guest experience.
  • It would also help keep any debris from the construction contained.
That, or they're trying to keep something secret... ;)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Hopefully they will rebuild the valleys between the airtime hills. When I rode it in 2015 it was so rough it actually hurt by back on some of my rides on it. If it wasn't for that, it would be a No.1 coaster for me!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
This is awful news, one of the best coasters in Europe imo. Hopefully they do a Hex and bring it back better than ever in 2018.
But it's merlin, so they won't. **** sake merlin.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Back when I rode it (must have been in 2012 or even earlier) it was already bad. Not "it's a little rough" but jack-hammering bad on the lower parts of the hills. It says a lot when a park can't maintain a coaster that big while Six Flags can (El Toro rides like a baby as of last year).

Colossos not opening in 2017 sounds a bit like Merlin trying to shave off some bucks in maintenance...