What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

Dave

CF Legend
That is a shame, if it does have some form of woodworm/bug it will be a long process as you'll have to check everything as bugs like deathwatch beetles are pricks and hide for years inside wood eating away!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Aside from woodworms, is there any reason why Colossos seemed to have aged worse than its Plug'n'Play brothers ? I read many reports over the years rattling about Heide's woodie being quite rattly while not seeing the same complaints about the other Intamin prefabs (at least not on the same scale anyway). I rode El Toro 7 times last summer and found it fairly smooth; not perfect glossy smooth, but still really decent for a 10 year old coaster with only the turnaround after the two big camelbacks being arguably shaky.

I know Colossos is the oldest Plug'n'Play there but not by much, and the whole prefabricated track technology makes me wonder why it ends up getting vibrating like the classic wooden coasters.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Aside from woodworms, is there any reason why Colossos seemed to have aged worse than its Plug'n'Play brothers ? I read many reports over the years rattling about Heide's woodie being quite rattly while not seeing the same complaints about the other Intamin prefabs (at least not on the same scale anyway). I rode El Toro 7 times last summer and found it fairly smooth; not perfect glossy smooth, but still really decent for a 10 year old coaster with only the turnaround after the two big camelbacks being arguably shaky.

I know Colossos is the oldest Plug'n'Play there but not by much, and the whole prefabricated track technology makes me wonder why it ends up getting vibrating like the classic wooden coasters.

Merlin?

S

SimonSays99

Also dislike this new statement given by Heide-Park/Merlin to http://www.freizeitpark-welt.de/freizeitparks/heide_park/heide_park_start.php?id=2&nid=2843

The complex testing and decision-making processes tend to end.
Translation: Google Translate

This could be interpreted that there is no decision until now to keep Colossos. The site cynically closes "Heide now has the longest and most exciting construction fence for 2017" and demands a better PR citing Europa-Park as a good example.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
This is a real shame, firstly I'm visiting this year so spite, secondly, it looks like a world class coaster and with only 4 installations it'd be sad to lose one of this rare breed.

I think it'll be hard for Heide to justify repairing it if it has its corporate Merlin hat on. I think any other chain or park wouldnt hesitate to repair or even let it get to this point so soon in its working life but knowing roughly how the UK Merlin parks run there finances with delegated budgets i'd say the future looks rather bleak. I'd imagine that it'll take a hefty wad of cash to get it sorted and in the eyes of shareholders that could be used for a shiny new ghost train.

Surprised we haven't seen a petition to #savecolossos just yet, maybe CF could get the ball rolling :rolleyes:

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Do we have any solid proof, that they'll actually go so far as to tear it down? I would honestly be shocked if they did.
I've been lucky enough to ride Colossos quite a few times. I love it and would absolutely hate to see it go.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Do we have any solid proof, that they'll actually go so far as to tear it down? I would honestly be shocked if they did.
I've been lucky enough to ride Colossos quite a few times. I love it and would absolutely hate to see it go.

I wouldn't say it'll be torn down but wouldn't be surprised to see a Gwazi style story. SBNO for a few years while the future is decided until it gets to a point when it needs tearing down anyway!

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Also dislike this new statement given by Heide-Park/Merlin to http://www.freizeitpark-welt.de/freizeitparks/heide_park/heide_park_start.php?id=2&nid=2843

Translation: Google Translate

This could be interpreted that there is no decision until now to keep Colossos. The site cynically closes "Heide now has the longest and most exciting construction fence for 2017" and demands a better PR citing Europa-Park as a good example.

Forget about the cred, I HAVE to see that one-of-a-kind family-friendly construction fence!!!
Marketing much?
They still don't give out what the problem is really and leaving people in the dark is quite annoying. Demolishing Colossos would be a bad move, even for Merlin.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
is it absolutely confirmed that it won't open this season then? - my German skills and google translate can't seem to find where it says "not open at all"..

Will

Strata Poster
^
Like anything, that's going to be subjective - but for me, it's always Colossos.
Which frustrates me, because I've only been on it once, and it looks like it will stay that way for the forseeable :(

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Yeah Colossos for me too. The sheer size does it for me. I like 'em big!
Balder can be amazing too, but it might depend on where you're sitting, what time of day it is, how many riders are on it, what the weather's like etc...
Colossos is a bit more guaranteed.
Well... was.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
According to the German forum CoasterFriends.de Heide Park managers and Merlin executives are meeting at the end of June to make the final decision over Colossos' future.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
^ I'd say it was, but a lot of people seemed to be intimidated by it as well. It is a fun woodie, wouldn't ride it all day long though. Plus it often got down time when I was visiting or didn't open at all when the temperatures were too low.

Ethan

Strata Poster
It was very popular when I rode it, although on the days I was there, it was the least popular of all the major attractions I'd say. If they remove Colossos and not just fix it up I swear I will lose all faith in Merlin.

CoasterB

Roller Poster
If their planning on getting rid of this ride, and the theres a petition going to save it, id sign it! Its one of my favourite coasters here in Europe, It needs to be fixed or something

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Makes me wonder if there are more serious issues with the structure of the coaster if they're considering removing it altogether. I mean, there are plenty of less popular, worse rides in the park (looking at you, Limit) that you'd scrap first. They must be facing one hell of a repair bill.