What's new

Gröna Lund | Monster | B&M Invert | 2021

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm leaning towards it having the newer vests that don't lock.

Do Banshee's vests lock or are they the newer version that does not? If so, this new coaster will likely be a better experience if the vests do not lock down.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
So what you're really saying is every Cedar Fair modification to B&Ms need die-off. :p

Vest restraints, hyper coaster stadium seating, hyper coaster seatbelts...
Oh, don't get me started on seat belts on hypers. Killing capacity for the sake of insurance costs is Cedar Fair's way to piss me off.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I'm leaning towards it having the newer vests that don't lock.

Do Banshee's vests lock or are they the newer version that does not? If so, this new coaster will likely be a better experience if the vests do not lock down.
I recall reading somewhere that new gen invert trains are a bit wider, so if Grona Lund work with tight clearances they might want to avoid those vests (wishful thinking).

Matt N

CF Legend
For clarification, is it the newer ones that don’t lock, or the older ones? Valkyria has the new ones, and they are apparently much better, so if the Grona Lund invert has them, then it should still be fun!

Trax

Hyper Poster
Can someone explain to me why most people prefer OTSR?
Sure, the vests have the habit to close down to a certain point, but I never thought of it as a big problem. I believe some rides do lock them after leaving the station, so that would not be an issue for every ride.
But OTSRs are really uncomfortable if you are ~6"+ (they really hurt my shoulders) , they stop pretty much every movement, they bash your ears, and they block your views. I'd rather take a comfy softvest which closes down than an ancient OTSR.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Sure, the vests have the habit to close down to a certain point, but I never thought of it as a big problem. I believe some rides do lock them after leaving the station, so that would not be an issue for every ride.
But OTSRs are really uncomfortable if you are ~6"+ (they really hurt my shoulders) , they stop pretty much every movement, they bash your ears, and they block your views. I'd rather take a comfy softvest which closes down than an ancient OTSR.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I heard so many complaints about the vest restraints on the SeaWorld Skyrocket II's before I rode Tigris, and I ended up having no issues with them (other than getting out of them,, but that was a minor inconvenience).

Trax

Hyper Poster
I haven't done a SR II with those vests, but I know that I won't like them, as the one I did just used a lap bar. I think we can all agree that Lap-bar > other restraints

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Every time a new B&M invert or dive coaster goes up I always forget that there is a possibility it could have vest restraints.

And then my excitement is ruined.

Hoping for OTSRs.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'm finding more shoulder and arm freedom when its vests, and you can see out the sides so on an invert it has its plus points. Positive forces are not effected either and is anyone expecting this to have otherwise been an airtime machine?

A dive machine can have the extra tingle if you have some give but its not the sole reason the mini dives are not the same.

Any restraint that increases its hold during the ride can cause issues so its not just a vest thing. Yes, ideally a lap bar all the way but even a few of those got it wrong in the earlier iterations.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I don't really have an issue with the vest restraints, except for when they lock. Swarm and Wild Eagle are the only I know that lock (or at least the only ones where it's very noticeable and can get uncomfortable). I probably still prefer the old school OTSRs as I've never had an issue with them, but the new vests, for the most part, aren't that bad.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Personally I don't think them because of one major factor - boobs. They're incredibly uncomfortable to anybody who has even a hint of tit.

Plus I will usually wear my hair down 9 times out of 10 at a park and those horrific vest restraints catch my hair every damn time. Please the ones that lock can lead to an extremely claustrophobic ride if they lock in too tightly - they're so restrictive of movement!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
None of the vest restraints lock anymore. B&M modified their locking mechanism for the 2014 season and retrofitted the rides that opened in prior operating years (read: Gatekeeper's, X-Flight's, and Wild Eagle's restraints no longer lock. I cannot speak for Raptor at Gardaland though).

Matt N

CF Legend
By locking, do you guys mean how they tighten during the ride? Swarm’s still tightened noticeably last time I rode it in August 2019, so I’m not sure if Merlin had their wing coasters retrofitted.

To be honest, I don’t actually dislike B&M’s vest restraints. While they do tighten, they’re not the only restraints I’ve known to do that, and I wouldn’t say it majorly inhibits my enjoyment of the ride, personally. Olympia Looping’s shoulder bars tightened to a far more enjoyment-restricting degree for me, and even the Mack lap bars on Icon do tighten as the ride goes on, although as with Swarm, I don’t find this tightening inhibits the enjoyment for me.

What is it that everyone seems to hate so much about them on Inverted Coasters and Dive Coasters?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
By locking, do you guys mean how they tighten during the ride? Swarm’s still tightened noticeably last time I rode it in August 2019, so I’m not sure if Merlin had their wing coasters retrofitted.

To be honest, I don’t actually dislike B&M’s vest restraints. While they do tighten, they’re not the only restraints I’ve known to do that, and I wouldn’t say it majorly inhibits my enjoyment of the ride, personally. Olympia Looping’s shoulder bars tightened to a far more enjoyment-restricting degree for me, and even the Mack lap bars on Icon do tighten as the ride goes on, although as with Swarm, I don’t find this tightening inhibits the enjoyment for me.

What is it that everyone seems to hate so much about them on Inverted Coasters and Dive Coasters?
Vests on Dive coasters remove any potential airtime from the drop, basically making the ride redundant.

I don't really see any issue with the newer vests on other B&M models though. You won't see me riding a lapbar-only Flying coaster anytime soon.

Jodon

Roller Poster
None of the vest restraints lock anymore. B&M modified their locking mechanism for the 2014 season and retrofitted the rides that opened in prior operating years (read: Gatekeeper's, X-Flight's, and Wild Eagle's restraints no longer lock. I cannot speak for Raptor at Gardaland though).
FYI, X-Flight's, at SFGAm, restraints still lock. The park has the ability to remove the locking mechanism, but has not spent the time or money to do so.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Vests on Dive coasters remove any potential airtime from the drop, basically making the ride redundant.

I don't really see any issue with the newer vests on other B&M models though. You won't see me riding a lapbar-only Flying coaster anytime soon.

Have you ridden Valkyria? It defo isn't an redundant ride, probably one of my favourite B&Ms.

I'm intrigued to see how this turns out. I can't beleive this thread was started in 2017 and we're still nowhere near seeing completion. I wouldn't put it past B&M to use a 2-seated train as the is super wide on the new gens, and I don't think Gronalund needs a massive capacity beast and we've seen them play with 2 seaters wit their family inverts. The clearances just seem abit tight.

Still one of my all time most anticipated coasters at the moment. Can you IMAGINE a B&M Invert getting built in your city centre, the thing of dreams <3.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've seen this argument mentioned in the past but I'm unable to buy it. Are you talking about your ass physically rising out the seat? Ok, but even if vest restraints are more restrictive doesn't mean the airtime isn't there. That's like saying Skyrush doesn't have any airtime because the lap bar prevents you from rising out of your seat.

Restraints don't play a factor of whether a ride has airtime or not, rather that amount of freedom you have. Vest restraints or not, the airtime is still there. The negative g force doesn't magically go away.

And honestly at the end of the day, I don't find the first drop of Valravn much different from that of Sheikra or Griffon. They're all fun.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Vests on Dive coasters remove any potential airtime from the drop

yeah this isn't really true. Yukon Striker's drop has plenty of airtime even with the vests. You may not get the extremely quick pop you did with the old OSTR's but those old OTSR's came with significant headbashing for some vertically challenged people. Neither system was perfect and each has their own pro's and cons. It's gonna come down to personal preference as long as the vests don't lock.