What's new

Goon Survey 2021

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We did this in 2020 for Roller Coaster Day, so we're doing it again!

Please take a few mins to have a go at this survey and please do share it with your friends!

goonsurvey2021-300x300.jpg

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Before anybody says “this is missing” or “why didn’t you include that?”…I say sorry not sorry. It’s a bit of fun created and compiled in my spare time…please take it at face value!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Before anybody says “this is missing” or “why didn’t you include that?”…I say sorry not sorry. It’s a bit of fun created and compiled in my spare time…please take it at face value!
I mean if there's one year that 0 should have been given as an option for parks visited this was it 😂 thankfully I've managed 1 at least.

Dar

Hyper Poster
It's much more revealing if you smash through like word association and just go with your gut instinct!

• Love
Reactions: Ian

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

I'd go as far as a "P155 off"!

Ps - you missed "depends on the coaster" from the best place to sit options..

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm one of those who really needed a "0" option for the "how many park visits did you manage in the past year?" question
I’m going to reciprocate.

I see you point, but you’re a coaster/theme park enthusiast. Nearly all parks have been open in the last year so, exceptional
circumstances aside, surely going to one park has been possible? If not, I’m sorry for insinuating it should be.

TilenB

Strata Poster

I see you point, but you’re a coaster/theme park enthusiast. Nearly all parks have been open in the last year so, exceptional
circumstances aside, surely going to one park has been possible? If not, I’m sorry for insinuating it should be.
I personally haven't travelled further than a 2h drive from where I live in the past 18 months. And the nearest sizable theme park is about a 4h drive from my house.

It's not that I wouldn't go to a theme park if I had one close to me, but with the pandemic still going on I'm a bit hesitant to really commit to booking a trip to pretty much anywhere abroad, since I never know what sort of restrictions will just pop up from nowhere in a day.

And yeah, I'm also a bit hesitant to go to where large crowds gather nowadays. After months of isolation it just kind of brings a sort of anxiety that wasn't there pre-covid. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are others on the forums that also feel the same as I do.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

It's been possible but none of the UK parks have appealed to me enough to warrant a visit this past year or so. I would've liked to go abroad but it seemed like too much faff especially if circumstances change whilst away.

Plus I didn't fancy wearing a mask on rides, but I think that rule has changed now so I might finally visit a park soon.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Some interesting takeaways there...

My own two cents on a couple of them:
  • Steel trumping the material question is obvious to me. However good a good woodie is, most of our top tens are steel and I think there's so much more than can be done with steel that it's bound to tickle more pickles. Not to mention that most [good] hybirds are steel anyway... ;)
  • It would be amazing to ask the "record breaking" question to a good chunk of GP. I wonder what the average punter at Alton Towers or Cedar Point would say in response to that. I think all that bull**** "fastest inverted coaster on the east coast" records completely wash over us, but I wonder how much of an impact that marketing has. My feeling is probably more than we give it credit for - after all marketing is big business and parks wouldn't push those things if they weren't drawing more people through the gates. Good to see the relative solidarity among followers of CF, though.
  • Innovation is an interesting question. I think B&M are definitely one of the best manufacturers, but innovative? I'm not really sure. I completely understand the others, and could probably stump up a reasonable argument for each of them being the most innovative, but I'm impressed B&M managed third place here. I'm glad though, I love B&M.
  • I think your reading of the season pass ownership isn't a bad assessment, actually. I've never owned a season pass, but if I lived close(r) to a park, I think this would for sure have been the year I'd have gotten one. Would have at least given me the coaster fix here and there.
  • The Club Trips questions is interesting. Does this mean there's little appetite for CF-Lives in 2022? Should we have a rethink about what sorts of CF-Lives we organise (single days vs multiple days, etc), how we organise them, if we bother organising them at all? Maybe we need to let the world have another six months of plodding along first...
  • I very, very rarely buy merch - so I'd be one of those "nothing" people. The honest answer is that I think most theme park merch is a bit naff. I'm not a big fan of overly complex designs with lots of words (thinking back to the stat-heavy Six Flags merch you used to see) and equally don't like the "I survived..." stuff. A decent baseball cap or clean/slick looking shirt (all for a decent ride, of course) would probably tempt me in. Generally don't bother with mugs, models, ORPs and the like as they'll only get left in the bottom of a drawer and become clutter.

Awesome stuff - enjoyed reading this again. Nice little tradition you've got going there. I'll be more prepared with the promo banners next year! :p

PS. Excel coaster counting is the only true way. ;)