What's new

Good "first upside down coasters?"

Unlike almost everyone else mine was on a stand up- Shockwave at Drayton. I'm glad my first inversion was the classic vertical loop.

Edward M said:
I'll agree with Scorpion and just about any 1 loop Schwarkopf. My first was supposed to be Shockwave at SFOT when I was 6 but it was closed so I rode Flashback instead. I thought 6 inversions was such a big deal at the time.

This, being from tampa scorpion is what started it all back in 97-98. after that day i couldnt wait to be tall enough for month/kumba

My first one was 'Wervelwind' in Bobbejaanland, which is now Tornado in Bosque Mágico in Mexico. It was a Vekoma Whirlwind, so the perfect rollercoaster for having your first 'upsidedown' coaster.

Shockwave at Drayton Manor was mine and wouldn't recommend it to anyone! The hang-time and standing up sensation is enough to put anyone off, let alone the violent nature of it.

I would say Revolution at Blackpool is a good shout, it's short, only has one loop, not intense by any means and you get to experience a loop backwards too! It's easy to build the courage up to after a couple of rides on Dipper and Nash, and then you can try and brave the bigger Coasters like Infusion and Big One!

ThomVD said:
I don't think Blue Fire would be particularly good for a first time looping coaster, at least not if you're scared to go upside down. Lapbars only plus the crazy heartline roll make it a bit too much. My first looping coaster was Python in the Efteling and I thought it was perfect for a first time. Not too rough, pretty comfy OTSR's, and the most basic inversions (looping, corkscrew).

Yeah, but I thought that Blue Fire is good for adrenaline-seeking kids :--D

Mine was Kraken and I loved it. I'd recommend a B&M for a first inversion, they do them brilliantly! Alternatively - Schwarzkopt are equally smooth and forceful.

Re: Good "first upside down coasters?"

Mine was Colossus at Thorpe Park. Certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first looper! Horrid thing!

My first upside down coaster was Rage at Adventure Island, it is quite small , and is quite a smooth Eurofighter as well. Only 3 inversions (that over-banked turn *does* count) which don't look too imposing, plus the location and theming also makes it stand out much more as a family ride.

We have a ride here called "Revolution." It is the first upside-down roller coaster in the US. One inversion. After that, you'll want to ride the Smiler!

^ Most know that already tbh. :/

Any 1 loop Schwarzkopf coaster is good.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

My brothers first upside down cred was Magic Mountain at Gardaland, its a brilliant looper, the restraints are so comfortable, we both loved it. My first upside down cred was at Hayling Island, that wretched gold mine coaster, horrid experience!

^ Magic Mountain was also my first. I think that these Vekoma double loop corkscrews are pretty good coasters for a starter.

caffeine_demon said:
Jordanovichy said:
My first was Turbo on Brighton Pier but given that you're in America so I'd assume that's quite out of your reach ;)

Owch - surprised that didn't put you off coasters for good!

Mine was corky at Alton!

ECG stole my answer.
Mine was Corkscrew at Myrtle Beach, SC.

Like ThomVD said, I too would suggest Python at the Efteling or possibly Kanonen at Liseberg (despite lots of people saying it's rough and uncomfortable I couldn't agree less, this isn't something that I've ever experienced).
If you're looking for an inverted one I'd say Black Mamba at Phantasialand.

My first one was Rock n Rollercoaster at MGM studios, I thought it was a good one as I didn't really know when to expect it!

Indiana Jones at Disneyland Paris was my first inversion. Did it when I was 8 but didn't actually realise it had an inversion since it's so hidden behind the rockwork. Took me a little by surprise! Was definitely a good first looper though, I think any coaster with just one or two simple inversions is good for the first time.