What's new

Glenwood Caverns | Defiance | Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter | 2022

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
It could be a new world's steepest with a 122 degrees drop? You'd totally be able to tell the difference of that extra 0.5 degrees of drop over TMNT right? Right? Maybe they'll kill two birds with one stone and go for inversions record as well?

Its the challenging location bit that intrigues me. Yeah they could be talking terrain (SDC?). They could be talking limited space (CP?). Or maybe they're talking a mall coaster. They can be a challenging location to build. Isn't Miami getting a dream mall? This could be a slightly customised TMNT with a 0.5 degree extra steepness of the drop?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Perhaps they could try and go for the world's tallest dive coaster (same style as Hangtime), and also try and go for the steepest and inversion records? Perhaps it could also have at least one launch as well? World's first launched dive coaster anyone? I don't think it would be too hard to combine Takabisha and Smiler.

(And yes, I know Cedar Point has Valravn but I think it could be different enough if that's where it's going.)

Peet

Giga Poster
My money's on the steepness record too. They'll just keep making drops which are a degree or 2 steeper each time until they get to the "180 degree drop" then realise that S&S already did that back in 2005 and Gardaland had the record all along.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Honestly, Smiler with lap-bars and a separate load/offload station would be a perfect ride in my book.

I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I think the only Gerstlauer with a separate load and offload is Saw*. And I seem to recall that that caused quite a few issues for them and they've been put off doing it since. So it might very much be wishful thinking to see a Gerstlauer with such a set up again.

*Whilst writing this I remembered that their Bobsleds have a load/offload set up, so already I'm wrong. Maybe the issue was specifically with Eurofighters.. The Bobsled set up could be different making it easier to get such a thing to work?
But outside of Saw, I don't any other non-Bobsled Gerstlauer has load/offload?

I'm rambling, but yeah - I'd be surprised if whatever this is ends up having a separate load and offload.

As for what it is...one would hope that with the push of "one-of-a-kind", it's not just Smiler+1 or TMNT+0.5º. But those would be the front runners right now given such little info.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I think the only Gerstlauer with a separate load and offload is Saw*.
Yes, that is wrong. Kärnan does, and Smiler was originally designed to by Gerstlauer. Also doesn't Mystery Mine also have it?

Also I think the steepest a coaster drop can be is 135°, because anything over that would be an inversion in my book (closer to being inverted than vertical).

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Very intriguing. I don't see the inversion record being beaten - 15+ is just too much surely,
The 'One-of-a-kind' is what stands out for me. Potentially unique terrain I'm thinking

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Has anyone done a launched Gerst? Or a Eurofighter/Infinity with switch track and a reverse section maybe?

Edit: What I wouldn't pay for a backwards ride on Saw and Smiler now :\ 🤢

UP87

Mega Poster
Has anyone done a launched Gerst? Or a Eurofighter/Infinity with switch track and a reverse section maybe?
Yeah sure... both... Goldrush, Novgorod, Fury... Nice coasters.

But that won't be the record. I doubt they'd do the fastest acceleration or the highest speed. Looking at kind of classic records Gerstlauer has we'd be with steepest drop or most inversions. It could be some stupid record though... or some record they steal from another manufacturer. Biggest loop? I don't know.

Coasterwaffle

Roller Poster
Maybe fastest acceleration backwards? I mean I could see Gerstlauer going for that record because they have build a lot of triple launch coasters already but I honestly don't think that will be it.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Hopefully it’ll be a basic, worthwhile record, such as tallest, fastest, longest etc IN THE WORLD... and not something lame like “the longest red coaster above water in this county”
This is key right - it says it’ll be a record-breaking coaster that will be known around the world, not that it’ll actually break a world record.

It could be most inversions in the US for example, but beating The Smiler’s record seems a bit too far, and Gerst won’t be going for height or length records here surely.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I think the only Gerstlauer with a separate load and offload is Saw*. And I seem to recall that that caused quite a few issues for them and they've been put off doing it since. So it might very much be wishful thinking to see a Gerstlauer with such a set up again.

*Whilst writing this I remembered that their Bobsleds have a load/offload set up, so already I'm wrong. Maybe the issue was specifically with Eurofighters.. The Bobsled set up could be different making it easier to get such a thing to work?
But outside of Saw, I don't any other non-Bobsled Gerstlauer has load/offload?

I'm rambling, but yeah - I'd be surprised if whatever this is ends up having a separate load and offload.

As for what it is...one would hope that with the push of "one-of-a-kind", it's not just Smiler+1 or TMNT+0.5º. But those would be the front runners right now given such little info.
Are you thinking of Saw’s dual dispatch feature, where two cars are loaded and dispatched at once? I can think of numerous Gerstlauers that have load/offload, but I can only think of Saw where it does dual dispatch. The only other coaster I can think of that does this is Oblivion at Alton Towers.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Are you thinking of Saw’s dual dispatch feature, where two cars are loaded and dispatched at once? I can think of numerous Gerstlauers that have load/offload, but I can only think of Saw where it does dual dispatch. The only other coaster I can think of that does this is Oblivion at Alton Towers.
A few Intamin and Mack coasters also do it. Cheetah Hunt and Maverick come to mind, as well as Matterhorn Blitz at Europa. But yeah, duel dispatch is rather uncommon, often used when trains seat 16 passengers or less each.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Awhile back IMAscore announced that they are working on a "Dream come true" project for Cedar Point. Could that be this Gerstlauer?

I suppose the IMAscore could also be related to the 150th celebration or Snake Rive Expedition, but if that were the case why not just say so as both of those things have already been publicized?