What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

tks

Strata Poster
Like A Prayer, whole stadium on their feet, choir singing, gospel lady belting it out, arms in the air, raining. One of the best moments of my life <3

Madonna was amazing. There were a couple of questionable song choices, but she sang some classics, I fell in love with some songs from the new album that I was edgy on before. No sound problems what-so-ever (gutted Hyde Park). It seemed a smaller production than in previous tours, a sign of the times I guess. Plus she's moving pretty fast around countries, doing one gig in each city rather than 4 shows at the 02.

Perhaps when Gavin Jones get's back from his little Swiss holiday he will fill you all in on the ticket fiasco..

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The only real fiasco will be when I try and pay my credit card bill later. Plus, I'd managed to sort it before you even arrived, bitch.

To fill everyone in:

When I was packing to go away for the week (Edinburgh and Geneva, in Geneva now), I put the envelope with the Madonna tickets in my bag, completely forgetting that I'd bought them in two sets of two. I'd checked the envelope, seen 4 "tickets" in it and went on my merry way. Anyway, about 10 minutes outside Edinburgh that I had a horrible realisation that I actually only had two tickets with me (the other "tickets" were receipts etc., which I should have known/checked since I get tickets through all the time).

Anyway, that's not really the point. I'm not dumb enough to mistake receipts for tickets, but I am dumb enough to completely forget that the tickets I'd booked six months prior were ordered in two lots, and thus sent in two envelopes.

Cue the poor guy at Ticketmaster having to deal with a hysterical fag over the phone. Because of the kind of tickets they were, it wasn't possible to replace them, though to be fair on the guy he did try and even got someone from another department to phone me back about half an hour later, still with no luck though.

So I had to buy two more tickets, only there were none left in the general standing area, so I had to buy more expensive ones in the Gold Circle area. Now, this is what pisses me off. When I originally ordered the tickets, these weren't available. The bastards were clearly holding them back.

Anyway, bit of a nightmare, but I was just glad I was able to get it sorted pretty much straight away and was able to enjoy the Friday night and Saturday before the concert.

It was **** ing amazing though. I've been desperate to see Madonna since I was 8 years old, but just never had the chance before. As Ed said, the show wasn't quite as "big" as some of her previous ones; there was a lot more use of massive background screens rather than before, but I guess a lot of people are going that way since the technology of those screens these days is phenomenal.

There were a couple of odd, actually quite self-indulgent, song choices (Candy Shop for one - she really could have replaced that with a big crowd pleaser), but there was a decent mix of old and new including some absolute classics.

Highlights:

The entrance - smashing through a church window with an assault rifle straight into Girl Gone Wild

Express Yourself/Born This Way mash up. Total bitch slap to Gaga, but brilliantly fun/campy as well.

Give Me All Your Luvin' - Drummers suspended from the roof, fab cheerleading costumes; so much fun.

Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart - **** ing CLASSIC tunes.

VOGUE!!!!!!! - The best version she's ever done of it in my opinion; the costumes were amazing.

Like a Prayer - My all-time favourite Madonna track, and performed to PERFECTION. Started raining just as the song was starting as well, which was somehow just perfect. My friend Kelly was in tears at this point.

I've never seen the point of cameras at a concert as I'd much rather enjoy myself than watch it through a 2 inch screen all in the name of YouTube bragging rights, but I had my camera in my pocket (we'd been out around Edinburgh all day), so I pulled it out a few times, held it in the general direction of Madge and took a few snaps:

560891_10151973077235188_888112301_n.jpg

418323_10151973075680188_129508943_n.jpg

528959_10151973076820188_876684066_n.jpg

599489_10151973076305188_1546266738_n.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Diamanda Galas on Wednesday night was AMAZING! It was just her and a piano (never actually realised what a fantastic pianist she is) for a couple of hours. She's not an easy listen by any stretch of the imagination, but she's so captivating to watch and her vocal range is incredible. I've got no idea how she makes some of those sounds (it sounded almost like two voices coming out of her at once in places), or she still manages to do it at age 56 when most other singers' voices have well and truely gone by then. Stunning, stunning show.

Then after my very artsy concert, last night I saw Jedward, Loreen, a bunch of other Eurovision contestants and a **** load of Swedish pop singers, who were mostly really fun actually. As a last minute night out it was all quite a good laugh, though when Jedward are the headliners over some really well-known, local singers, there's a problem somewhere.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Coheed and Cambria, Acoustic and Full Electric set, November! My favourite band ever and finally seeing them after 5 years! No words can express how excited I am for this. <3

The only band that beats Dream Theater for me, the mix of Progressive Metal with their sound and his voice is unbelievable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljudZ9YKVA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RfHPR2hy8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Luxornv

Mega Poster
I went to see Coldplay on one of their final North American shows in this tour when they came to Chicago. They are really good live. One cool thing that they did was handing out LED wristbands which then flashed at certain parts of certain songs. It was a nice, free, souvenir to have. While I like the band a lot, I'm not paying $40 for a t-shirt from the event. I'm reluctant to pay $25 for a souvenir shirt. The other thing I liked is that they just played their songs. I'm a U2 fan also, and Bono preaches about all of his causes and all the inhumanity in the world throughout the show. That's nice and all that he wants to do something, but that's not what I paid to hear. Coldplay didn't do any of that and just played their songs. This show was cool because a few fans were holding up signs, begging them to play Amsterdam. The band partially obliged, but couldn't remember the whole song since they haven't recently practiced it. Chris Martin also felt he messed up a part of Paradise, so he just started over and we got a bonus half a song. Now they are heading out to Europe, so if any of you are near any of the shows, I'd recommend going.

davidm

Strata Poster
Just got back from RADIOHEAD at Manchester Arena.

They were very good, great lights'n'stuff too.

I saw them (at the same place) about 15 years ago and I think back then I knew every song... this time notsomuch - I seem to have stopped listening to them properly in about 2002 (still buy the CDs though)

According to setlist.fm
1997 said:
Airbag
Karma Police
The Bends
Exit Music (for a Film)
Talk Show Host
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Climbing Up the Walls
Creep
My Iron Lung
Lucky
Planet Telex
Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
No Surprises
Bones
Just
Paranoid Android
Fake Plastic Trees
Electioneering
Lurgee
(Nice Dream)
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
2012 said:
Lotus Flower
Airbag
Bloom
The Daily Mail
Myxomatosis
The Gloaming
Separator
These Are My Twisted Words
Pyramid Song
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Reckoner
There There
The National Anthem
(with "Hunting Bears" outro)
Feral
Paranoid Android
--
You and Whose Army?
Ful Stop
Morning Mr. Magpie
Planet Telex
How to Disappear Completely
--
Give Up the Ghost
Everything In Its Right Place
--
Idioteque
So yep - about 3 of tonights set! :-(

Still a good time though!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Azealia Banks earlier this week was FIIIIEEEEEERRRRCE.

She only did about an hour, but I guess she's only got one EP and a mixtape out so far, so she hasn't got loads of material to do yet. She was fab though, as was the support act whose name now completely escapes me.

What wasn't quite so fab was the crowd there. Ed and I were the blackest people in the place, and though I should have been flattered, having my arse grabbed by a 15/16 year old was all rather unnecessary.

SoCalCoaster521

Roller Poster
The Union Underground (live at a WWE Raw show in Anaheim back in 2002)
The Fenians
Blue October
The Parlotones
Like A Storm
Taddy Porter
Alter Bridge
Strike First
Theory of a Deadman
Adelitas Way
New Medicine (seen twice)
Shinedown
The Fail Safe Project (seen twice)
Lola Black
Pop Evil
Styx
The Dreaming
Otherwise
Red Line Chemistry
Framework
VanMarter Project
Evolutions PerMinute

Most recent concert I saw was New Medicine, Framework, VanMarter Project and Evolutions PerMinute. New Meds was epic, and it was the second time I've seen em this year. Framework and Evolutions were pretty damned poopty, didn't care for them at all. VanMarter on the other hand was pretty awesome, and made me and my group all shell out $10 for signed copies of their album.

My favorite concert I think has to be Shinedown, New Medicine and Adelitas Way down in Boise earlier this year (March). The atmosphere and energy for the show was way awesome and stayed consistent the entire night. The venue was pretty awesome too. The show was in Boise, Idaho at the Knitting Factory. The special thing about this concert house is that it only holds about 600 max, it's a VERY SMALL room, with a two semi-level design and a 2nd floor balcony. The first floor has the main floor, then about 10 feet from the stage, it raises about 5 feet to form the rest of the first floor, putting that level on the same level as the stage, which makes for a great vantage point. But yeah, put Shinedown, Adelitas Way and New Medicine in a small, intimate, and sold out room, and it makes for one hell of a show.

Seeing Alter Bridge was a dream come true for me and one that will stick in my mind forever. AB is my favorite band and I've been following them since they started back in '04. Myles Kennedy hands down is my favorite singer ever and Mark Tremonti is my favorite guitarist. The awesome thing about the show is that Myles personally handed me a signed used pick during the show, and Scott Phillips threw me a signed drumstick after the show. The show had a fantastic opener, Like a Storm. It was my first time hearing their material, and they got me hooked. Now, the reason this show wasn't my favorite is due to the 2nd opener of the night, Taddy Porter. Taddy Porter SUCKED. He was high, drunk, and was plain poopty. He had no stage presense, was putting no effort into anything, and well, he sucked!

The next show I got coming up is Hoobastank and 3 Pill Morning on the 12th. Should I be looking forward to this?

peep

CF Legend
I saw Scissor Sisters last week in London's Roundhouse. I've never been to that venue before, I can see why it's popular, really nice venue and very intimate.

The band were epic, they played so much off their 1st album which made me happy because it's the one I've listened to the most. There was a section where I felt like I needed to be high to enjoy it. The band has an absolutely amazing energy though and it was so infectious, they are also really close to the fans that seem to follow them about over the years, even knew their names which I thought was amazing. They also sounded amazing, just generally awesome.

They ended with a special mega-extended encore because it was their last show in London ("Our second home") for a while as they're going away for a bit. Such a blast, shame it's their last show for a while now.

Now booked up to see Prodigy again in December which I'm thrilled to bits about because they're epic live and I'll be seeing them in one of my favourite venues - Brixton Academy

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I forgot this topic existed. Anyway, Ben and I went to see Joan Rivers a few weeks ago in Birmingham. It was obviously a comedy gig, where most posts in here are music, but it's the best place to mention it I guess.

She was brilliant. Just pure, bitchy, inappropriate filth from start to finish. Love her.

Gigs coming up in the next few months:

Mika
P!nk
Jessie Ware
Lana Del Rey

Frank

Roller Poster
I was at that Joan Rivers gig! Third row from the front, slap-bang in the middle, absolutly terrifying.

The support were pretty good too, especially the song about Nando's.

Ben

CF Legend
OMG, she was amaziinnggg <3

"It's like, three steps, you can hop, but, no, no, we'll take the **** ramp!"

"You know who I hate? CRIPPLES!"

Kebab

Giga Poster
Saw Coheed and Cambria the other night for the first time ever, reminded me of why they are my favourite band. Brilliant show!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSyatjWo1E[/youtube]