What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
tks said:
Another chance to pay lots of money to see an overated band.

How are Muse over rated? They are probably the best band of the 21st century. Matt Belamy has a fantastic voice and an ear for making really unconventional music that has a real beauty to it.

Listen to their Showbiz or Absoloution albums. Most people go for Origin of Symmetry or BH&R.

I will try and get tickets.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
danielfitzgerald99 said:
tks said:
Another chance to pay lots of money to see an overated band.

How are Muse over rated? They are probably the best band of the 21st century. Matt Belamy has a fantastic voice and an ear for making really unconventional music that has a real beauty to it.

I liked the two or three "big" tracks I'd heard, thought they were something really different and special.

Then I listened to more of their stuff, and realised that it's all just the same "different and special" repeated ad infinitum. While this isn't really an issue, most of the time you like a band because their particular style does something for you, it IS an issue if you then try to force that down everyone elses throat as being "the greatest thing ever". Just because something is different, doesn't mean it's the best thing. It just means it's a different sound.

I'm not really knocking Muse, I think they're good musicians, and if you like their sound, then you'll get a huge amount from them - fine. However, I can understand tks saying they're over-rated, because their songs don't massively vary. It's Nirvana syndrome. They only produced three songs and lots of variations of those songs - hence Nirvana are also over-rated.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I am not trying to force everyone to like Muse. I am just saying that I think the appraisal they get is not undeserved.

I must agree with you on Nirvana, although their unplugged album was fantastic. I think they worked better as an accoustic band because it just compliments Kurt's stripped back, simplistic style.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
I'm sat waiting already, I just know the ticketmaster website is gonna cock up or whatever lol.

45 Minutes to go :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Smithy said:
Muse are pants.

As is Britney. Mimed most of the songs, and the show wasn't that great either.

See Muse play all their songs live and actually sing them

Muse > Britney

;)

Plus I think I've got tickets to see them for the 5th time.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Dave said:
Smithy said:
Muse are pants.

As is Britney. Mimed most of the songs, and the show wasn't that great either.

See Muse play all their songs live and actually sing them

I've heard, but not seen them live. Overrated, overhyped, and just not my cup of tea. Nirvana syndrome as Furie alluded to.

Muse > Britney

Your point being?

Dave

CF Legend
How is it Nirvana syndrome, that only applies when the lead singer (or any band member) kills themsleves or dies, this gives them more hype.

Muse are overplayed but only by the people that have only heard songs like Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dave, I'm talking Nirvana in 1991. Exactly the same syndrome Dave.

I remember walking from flat to flat hearing Nevermind being played all over. Everyone raving about it. The problem was, as you walked from one section another, it was hard to work out which song was being played - because they all sound so familiar. They have their "best" versions of each song, but they are all essentially the same thing.

YES - if you listen to it a lot, you can tell the difference, but you'd only do that if you really liked the initial sound. It's a bit like looking at a field of roses and saying that this one here is prettier than that one there. To most people not interested in flowers, they'd all look as good as each other, but maybe a particularly large one would catch their eye.

See, I like Muse as I like Nirvana, but not enough to start to try and work out the real difference between their songs. Listening to their albums to me is like listening to a single long song with a couple of bits where it's better. The difference between the songs just isn't enough for me to invest time in them, it all becomes a blur. That's why people cherry pick and only listen to the "hits" over and over.

Don't be offended by it, it's just the way it is. I'm happy to admit I like a fair few bands in exactly the same situation - it's just a realistic outlook on life and not a slur on your personal tastes. If you're offended that somebody thinks a band you're into is over-rated, then it's likely that they are and the defensiveness comes from the fact you feel you're being criticised for being a sheep. It's not that at all, but people who aren't "fans" don't feel they should be belittled because "they don't understand the musical genius". It's just a defensive response and it's irritating.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Still no gigs for me boohoooooo. No Donington either! I'm gonna go nuts when I finally get to a gig tehe.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I went and saw The Gaslight Anthem at the London Forum on Thursday. The support bands were both good. White Belt Yellow Tag and Mando Diao.

TGA did a brilliant set with everything you could want. Most of their songs got an airing. I was in the front row, right in front of Brian Fallon. A good sing along gig. I nearly missed the last train back though. Woops!

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Damn it! I wish I could have gone to Download but it coincided with my exams and lack of finances. Korn absoloutley layed waste to it, looking at the youtube videos and they played some really old school songs like Chi and Divine.

Anyway, I got two tickets to the YouMeAtSix show for the Kerrang week of rock thing at the forum in London. They are filming the gig too. I've see them before but not properly because at the time they were opening for Fall Out Boy at Wembley and I didn't know the songs. I couldn't hear them anyway. I know all their stuff now and have been playing it obsessivley since January so this should be fun.

Matt

Roller Poster
danielfitzgerald99 said:
Matt said:
Saw Airbourne at the Astoria tonight - and due to a fuck up by live nation with the guestlist - i'm going again tomorrow, AAA and to the after show party! Awesome.

You lucky git. I would kill to see Airbourne one of the only new band with any credibilty. I am sick of freakin bands like tw*ts in glass houses and youandmehavinggaysexatsix.

Airbourne are the torch bearers for the next generation and will be the heirs to AC/DC's throne....Provided they don't die from liver failures.

And looking at your above post...oh dear Dan, oh dear...

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Jamie T at the iTunes festival next wednesday :D

Enter Shikari at Southampton Guildhall on the 6th October :D:D

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Matt said:
danielfitzgerald99 said:
Matt said:
Saw Airbourne at the Astoria tonight - and due to a fuck up by live nation with the guestlist - i'm going again tomorrow, AAA and to the after show party! Awesome.

You lucky git. I would kill to see Airbourne one of the only new band with any credibilty. I am sick of freakin bands like tw*ts in glass houses and youandmehavinggaysexatsix.

Airbourne are the torch bearers for the next generation and will be the heirs to AC/DC's throne....Provided they don't die from liver failures.

And looking at your above post...oh dear Dan, oh dear...

Yes Oh dear, but the only thing I was judging that by was a support slot with poor sound and a lame crowd response. I couldn't hear them, the crow weren't into it and they just looked like a bunch of wannabe scene kids so I dismissed them.

I only gave the album a few plays after having them forced down my throat by Kerrang on a weekly basis. I thought I would give them another chance.

I still think KIGH suck balls though.