What's new

Furious Baco Restraint Failure

In related news, the cable is being changed:

th720_0127b6f06fda470b1317bbf3dcff026a.jpg

Do you think PA could ask Intamin to swap the harnesses for those on I305? They look comfortable and sure would alleviate the pain...

Source: PA-Commmunity.com

Oriolat2 said:
Do you think PA could ask Intamin to swap the harnesses for those on I305? They look comfortable and sure would alleviate the pain...

I think at this late stage in the game it would be more a case of buying new restraints than simply swapping them. If there was a genuine, general defect in the design, which was identified soon after the ride opened, then yeah I could see it being possible.

One freak incident years after the fact, though? Not a chance.

Is it possible that the cable snapped and caught the restraint and that is why it broke?

UC said:
As well as the fact that buying new restraints would necessitate a period of testing and certification that I'm sure the park doesn't want to keep the ride down for.

Considering PA is shut almost two months, there's certainly enough time for them to do all of this...

UC said:
No.

That isn't how the cable works. The cable can fray and shatter, but it doesn't "snap," per a safety feature.

Otherwise, you'd be setting yourself up for a "Ghost Ship" style massacre every time a cable snap (not an uncommon event) happens.

Tell that to those on Xcelerator. Wasn't that a proper snap?

^ But, didn't the cable on Xcelerator actually whip one of the seats and break it? Like, you can actually see the headrest get knocked out of place.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLg6eh4E-nk[/youtube]

I always thought it was the cable that did that, rather than the 'safety feature'. I can't see a few little fragments hitting it with that much force.

I've been on park today and did notice a fair amount of staff up on the loading platform today, but didn't know they were working on the launch/cable.

I spoke to a contact at PA today via email who tells me they plan to be testing it tomorrow but if that happens or not remains to be seen.

UC, I don't understand why a cable can't destroy a restraint if it can destroy fiberglass?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Joey said:
UC, I don't understand why a cable can't destroy a restraint if it can destroy fiberglass?

It's because the cable doesn't reach back that far, just fragments of the cable that have "shattered". If it could have destroyed a metal restraint, it could have flayed the face off somebody with no problem (and after the restraint would have carried on carving through the guys shoulder).

The fragments that hit in the Xcellerator incident hurt guests, but it's just cuts and bruises to the skin. If the cable itself had reached back far enough to hit a restraint, you'd be looking at dead people.

I'm really intrigued by the science behind the cable design to make it "safe", but not enough to need an engineering lecture about it - it's one of those "oh, that's interesting" things I'm happy to live in ignorance of the workings of ;)

Furius Baco re-opened yesterday, and was on two trains.

It was running great as always (IMO), but did have a few breakdowns during the day.