What's new

Furious Baco Restraint Failure

gavin said:
^Surely there's no real pressure on the restraint unless there's someone sitting in it, right?

To me, that would suggest that someone must have been riding at the time.
I dunno, no one touches that part of the restraint.

Here's what I think has happened...

When guests are pulling into a station, they have a tendency of pushing on restraints before they have been unlocked. And worse, I've seen people violently push and shake them for no other reason than excitement. I think, over time, people have pushed on that part of the restraint and weakened it. And then one day, someone did it and it just snapped. I'm kinda surprised it's not happened more often, actually. Why that one snapped though, who knows. Maybe the vibrating on Baco has weakened it, maybe that restraint was just built badly.

Either way, it's another "lol Intamin" to add to the pile. This **** shouldn't happen. Hopefully Baco will get new restraints now!

I like Baco too. Whoever said about PA not being neglectful... Really? It is in Spain.

Joey said:

Maybe not, but you're still putting pressure on it in some form, surely, even if it's indirectly through the parts of the restraint that are touching you?

And besides, your theory still includes someone pushing against the, possibly weakened, restraint.

My point is that I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened on an empty seat.

Not only that but I supposed people who hold on around their necks and pull down on it might have had an effect over time.

gavin said:
Joey said:

Maybe not, but you're still putting pressure on it in some form, surely, even if it's indirectly through the parts of the restraint that are touching you?

And besides, your theory still includes someone pushing against the, possibly weakened, restraint.

My point is that I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened on an empty seat.
I don't know what pressure it would have on it unless someone was actually pushing on it for the **** of it.

I doubt it happened with no one in it, either... But I don't think it's out of the question, is what I meant. Maybe... the... temperature varied and... that ....restraint was badly made, and...snap? I dunno.

Since this has apparently happened twice on the same ride though, I bet it's down to the vibrating more than anything, weakening it? Worrying regardless.

Lofty said:
Ollie said:
It was only the other week when one of the wheels completely disintegrated and came off the train. Hopefully noone was in the seat when the restraint broke. Although I'm sure if they were and they got injured we'd have heard about it by now.
The wheel never fell off. Me and Oriol where at the park and witnessed that "incident". It was part of the rubber that came off.

This restraint accident happened ages ago on the back car at the park. I'm adamant it did.
Wheels delaminating is actually a pretty common thing:

See http://bannister.org/coasters/trips/2010/0529.htm

The maintenance staff can also replace car wheels within five minutes, something which is occasionally needed during the day when one delaminates unexpectedly as pictured above; the loud clanking noise made by such a failure would be completely impossible for anyone to miss.

0529lnmwheel.jpg

The last time I went to PA was in 2007, and Baco was closed on all 3 of my trips (the whole supports issue). However, I'm going back in two weeks (two weeks today in fact). Is it back open yet?

Sent from my iPad

Gazza said:
the loud clanking noise made by such a failure would be completely impossible for anyone to miss.

0529lnmwheel.jpg

That's what we heard. A loud "bang" and then there was a constant clanking noise everytime the train went around the circuit. Oddly, no ride attendant noticed it until we went up to the station to tell them...

Joey said:
Ehhh on the majority of Intamins it's only the over-the-shoulder vest that holds me in! The lapbar is usually 1-4 inches above my waist!!

Joey said:

When guests are pulling into a station, they have a tendency of pushing on restraints before they have been unlocked. And worse, I've seen people violently push and shake them for no other reason than excitement. I think, over time, people have pushed on that part of the restraint and weakened it. And then one day, someone did it and it just snapped. I'm kinda surprised it's not happened more often, actually. Why that one snapped though, who knows. Maybe the vibrating on Baco has weakened it, maybe that restraint was just built badly.
Well it doesn't sound very good if some guests "shaking" the restraints can cause them to break. Especially since more people probably have the same problem as me (I'm "only" 1.87m and max limit on Intamins is 1.95m) and are hold in solely by the vest and not have the lapbar even touching them.. I'm genuineley scared of riding an Intamin with otsr's again! What if it happened on the first strong airtime hill after the launch on Baco? If it was me in that seat I would most ceratinly slip out of the train and die! :eek:

No wonder we have not seen more Intamin wingriders. This thing sounds like the biggest problem child since SOB. Intamin, though, does seem to be getting better with their restraints. Me and the other four people I was with all liked the Skyrush-style restraints, so if they improve a little on that design then they might be the new style for Intamin.

UC said:
I think what's important to note here is that none of the other Intamin rides with this restraint style have closed.

Can nobody else honestly remember Stealth having the same restraint snapping issue and having them replaced with a new metal?

It's not the kind of thing I dream about!!!!!!

It was when the other UC was working at Thorpe.

UC makes a good point. When there was the problem with the X-car trains, wasn't it intially thought that all coasters running the 2 car trains would be affected? It is strange how the restraint has snapped in such a way though. It would be interesting to find out some more about the incident.

UC said:
^That isn't my point. I'm not saying there haven't been issues in the past.

My point is that nothing has come to the other rides due to this restraint failure. If this was truly a design issue, you can bet rides like Kindga Ka, Storm Runner, Kanonen, etc. would have been closed down. This is not a "sweep it under the rug, we'll deal with it quietly" kind of issue.

I just want to know if I'm going insane!!! :lol:

Undead Creature said that they redesigned the restraints with a new metal compound. I don't know if they retrofitted any other coasters as part of a maintenance schedule or if Stealth had a new compound that they were trying. I don't even know if it happened, it just seems that if it did, there's precedence - inconsequential or not - a kind of "it happens like wheels shedding" thing :)

Joey said:

When guests are pulling into a station, they have a tendency of pushing on restraints before they have been unlocked.

I have to admit, where the harness snapped is exactly where I push to check the harness is locked properly :oops: Its my OCD I cant help it :) check it once then check it again. I dont go mad on it but do give it a bit of a push. It’s the only place on this type of harness you can push.

Plus on Baco, i found it so rough at some points I was holding onto the area where it snapped whilst going round the track to stop my body rattling around in the seat. My other half also said she did this. Maybe over time with lots of OCD people (like me :) ) and people using the harness to push themselves back in the seat on a ride which can be quite rough was enough to finally give way.

Its a popular place to hold...

Its quite a slow inversion (from what I remember) so all you body weight it push down on that area of the harness

Capture.jpg

Why does practically everyone who likes to double-check things and not live in a complete **** ing pig sty have to claim OCD these days?

Is it the new ADD, which in turn was the new dyslexia?

andrus said:
Joey said:
Ehhh on the majority of Intamins it's only the over-the-shoulder vest that holds me in! The lapbar is usually 1-4 inches above my waist!!

Joey said:

Well it doesn't sound very good if some guests "shaking" the restraints can cause them to break. Especially since more people probably have the same problem as me (I'm "only" 1.87m and max limit on Intamins is 1.95m) and are hold in solely by the vest and not have the lapbar even touching them.. I'm genuineley scared of riding an Intamin with otsr's again! What if it happened on the first strong airtime hill after the launch on Baco? If it was me in that seat I would most ceratinly slip out of the train and die! :eek:
No. Unless you have massive tits, you do not touch where this broke. You may touch the top of it, with your shoulders... Maybe, I'm skeptical, but there is no way you touch the bit that just forward.

Besides, even if by magic the whole shoulder bit broke off, unless your knees bend the wrong way, you'd find it hard to get out if the lapbar. You'd be thrown around, for sure, but you can't get out because legs don't bend that way. Maybe actively trying to get out you could, but why would you do that? I can get my torso out of B&M OSTRs, if I want to. My legs came though, because knees.

And I don't think shaking has done it, as such. I think its a freak incident where the restraint has been repeatedly weakened by pushing, shaking, pulling and general battering unforeseen when it was designed. It shouldn't have happened, but its not caused by normal operation as such. Maybe a temperature change aggravated it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Joey said:
You may touch the top of it, with your shoulders... Maybe, I'm skeptical

The bruises on my shoulders after ever Intamin OTSR ride say you're wrong to be sceptical. We don't all have middle names of Dopey, Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, Grumpy or Doc ;)

However, you're right that this isn't cause the restraints to break where they did :)