What's new

Furious Baco Restraint Failure

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Going to start a new topic for this one as it seems like slightly more of a big deal to just leave in that general PA topic:

Oriolat2 said:
Furius Baco news:

The ride has been closed this past weekend due to restraint that came broken to the station. Apparently, the cable has also snapped, like Rita's, with no injuries... A new cable is on its way (unlike Alton, that always have a spare one).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_zC3D7XMOY[/youtube]

As much as I love the ride, I honestly think PA should make a decision, shut the ride and work with Intamin to solve the problems that have plagued the ride since day 1 (mainly the trains).

^ It's never nice to hear about your favorite coaster having incidents.

And I totally agree that they should start talking to Intamin about it.

Well it's no shock given how much that ride bounces you round the track. It really is an awful design.

Was the restraint snapping during testing or park opening hours? It seems rather severe! :eek:

^Surely there's no real pressure on the restraint unless there's someone sitting in it, right?

To me, that would suggest that someone must have been riding at the time.

It was only the other week when one of the wheels completely disintegrated and came off the train. Hopefully noone was in the seat when the restraint broke. Although I'm sure if they were and they got injured we'd have heard about it by now.

LOL. It's shaking itself to pieces.

PA should sell it for scrap and look back fondly on the good few years it had when it opened. :lol:

I heard that there was a man riding in that seat when the harness snapped, he apparently was scared :dontswear:less about it which I can understand when something like that happens.

That is bizarre.

I just assumed there was a strip of metal that helped maintain rigidity within the restraint, similar to steel inside a a tire.

Surely this is a weird case circumstance; think about how many Intamin roller coasters there are with a similar style restraint.

Hyde244 said:
That is bizarre.

I just assumed there was a strip of metal that helped maintain rigidity within the restraint, similar to steel inside a a tire.

Surely this is a weird case circumstance; think about how many Intamin roller coasters there are with a similar style restraint.

There is a strip of metal, or a solid piece of plastic for comfort. I'm hoping this would just be a standalone case with the OTSRs, because they have had a perfect track record until this incident.

These restrains may have a "perfect track record" but Intamin certainly has had numerous issues with restraints over the years. Yes, sure it's mostly from idiotic ride attendants and idiotic riders leaving the damn things open, but the Intamin OTSRs have been redesigned how many times? ...and then there's the redesigned restraints on I-305, and Skyrush, and so on.

I'd certainly say that Intamin has plenty of trouble getting restraints right. Between sensor-less trains, (often) painful restraints and now a restraint failure, if I was a park operator, I'd certainly think twice about choosing Intamin to provide my next major attraction.

But I'm sure the fanboyz will just blame the park's maintenance crew.

Quite stange that the restaint snapped off cleanly in two locations and the cable snapped. Spooky stuff.

Was it both sides of the restraint that snapped or just the one? Didn't Stealth also have this issue and required retrofitting with new shoulder pieces with better metal?

Hixee said:
LOL. It's shaking itself to pieces.

PA should sell it for scrap

Fixed for you Hixee ;)

Hasn't this happened before on Baco? Someone posted a pic a couple of years back where the straps had snapped in the same way.

Ollie said:
It was only the other week when one of the wheels completely disintegrated and came off the train. Hopefully noone was in the seat when the restraint broke. Although I'm sure if they were and they got injured we'd have heard about it by now.
The wheel never fell off. Me and Oriol where at the park and witnessed that "incident". It was part of the rubber that came off.

This restraint accident happened ages ago on the back car at the park. I'm adamant it did.

The wheel thing isn't much of a big deal (even if a whole wheel did come off) really. It happens, and usually doesn't spite anyone. Obviously, a bogie coming off is a huge problem though.

It is a bit embarrasing having so many incidents so close together though. Bad luck? I can't see a park like PA being negligent. The only one of the 3 'incidents' which causes concern is the restraint, but I don't really know enough about them to judge anyone. It could have just been a dodgy restraint that the park couldn't have done anything about? Dunno...

On the subject of a cable snap, has that been confirmed? And if so, how long does it usually take PA to get Baco back open?

The person wouldn't have come out though, so, eh. It's bad, but, not life or death.

And Baco's soooo fab <3