What's new

Formula Rossa SBNO

Actually a pretty valid idea. It's becoming increasingly more trusted on major civil engineering projects (buildings/bridges/pylons/railways/etc) - much quicker and safer, and the camera technology (resolutions, filters for infrared, image processing algorithms, repeatability, etc) are becoming so good that it's an amazing first step. You can very quickly hone in on "okay, this is the bit we need to send a person up to" - rather than "guess you're inspecting the entire structure by eye".

Not bulletproof just yet, but getting there.

The suggestion was half-humorous, half-serious, as I wasn't sure how common they were in the engineering field, but that's interesting to hear. Thanks!

So I get Falcons Flights is a crazy, innovative, mind boggling coaster project. But aren't these "technical elements" just LSM launches? Which have been used for years. The coaster might get through a few wheels more quickly than the average coaster and have to run in much higher temparatures. But surely a ride like Voltron is much more complicated than this? Idk, I feel like it will be fine.
LSM launches with their beefy power supply, a chain lift, several sets of block brakes, literal miles of track with every sensor that entails, all having to communicate with a central ride system with parts spread across the entire park. Just imagine how many miles of wiring will be associated with this coaster. And then the wear and tear of the trains and tracks with such ludicrious speeds involved. At desert temperatures. A coaster is a system with a lot of things that can go wrong, and the conditions for operating is that none of them go wrong. Falcon's Flight has both more things going on than usual, and an operational situation that tends to cause stuff to go wrong.

LSM launches with their beefy power supply, a chain lift, several sets of block brakes, literal miles of track with every sensor that entails, all having to communicate with a central ride system with parts spread across the entire park. Just imagine how many miles of wiring will be associated with this coaster. And then the wear and tear of the trains and tracks with such ludicrious speeds involved. At desert temperatures. A coaster is a system with a lot of things that can go wrong, and the conditions for operating is that none of them go wrong. Falcon's Flight has both more things going on than usual, and an operational situation that tends to cause stuff to go wrong.
All sounds fine to me. They will smash it 💪🏻

It'll be interesting to see what they choose to do with it.

Obviously, with Falcon's Flight opening, it's set to lose the world's fastest coaster record, but only by 6mph. Given the ride hits a set of brakes not long after the launch, I wonder how feasible is it for them to modify the launch to try and break that record? I wouldn't be surprised if the thought has at least crossed their mind.
Should they go for a "fastest launch/accelerator coaster tag? Does losing the record matter?

Replacing a launch cable is standard maintenance. But if, following a snapped cable, there's damage to a train, and potentially to the machinery responsible for launching the ride, that will be significantly more expensive.