What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's a Huss Enterprise :)

Blackpool had one for a few years. It wandered around the park here and there. I seem to remember it by the Revolution at one point, and also down by the Fun House (in the corner opposite Water Chute).

Though I may be wrong and thinking of the Pirate Ship :)

However, they 100% had a standard Enterprise. It was the first one I ever went on :)

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I kind of expected it to be Huss, they are the most common. But I heard there were a few different types going round fairs in the 80's and thought BPB possibly bought one of the different manufactured Enterprises.

Well thank you for informing me furie, I am also trying to make out what that large pointy thing would be in the second photograph. To the left of the picture, that is.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"Probably along with the Airplane coaster, known as the most intense ride ever built. In a way to me it almost looks like Schwarzkopf travelling designs."

wow - just insane!

bazpa

Hyper Poster
I remember the "Starship Enterprise" ride being round the left hand corner of the Funhouse by the Water Chute/Vikingar. It was my first Enterprise ride too.

A

Anonymous

HAHA! Really nice coaster videos you found. Those old coasters used to be death traps. But they thrilled most of the world. And now look what has happened to roller coasters: the most popular attraction at a amusement park

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
bazpa said:
I remember the "Starship Enterprise" ride being round the left hand corner of the Funhouse by the Water Chute/Vikingar. It was my first Enterprise ride too.

If that's the case and my memory is right (I trust Baz's memory more than mine as I was about 12, he was about 87 :p ) - then:

Omerod said:
Well thank you for informing me furie, I am also trying to make out what that large pointy thing would be in the second photograph. To the left of the picture, that is.

I think it's the old Cable Car station, or there was a junior fun house in that same area. There was a glass, triangular building that stuck out like that right there. I think it's gone now, replaced by a log cabin type affair or something.

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Could it be the base for this thing in the bottom right hand corner of the pic on what was the Tom Sawyer ride loading station?

uk58mi3.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ormerod said:
Looks like a chapel roof of something. Sticks out just a tad!

I'm thick, ignore me. I was looking at the top photo for some reason LOL!

I think Bazpa is probably right - was something to do with the old Tom Sawyer ride :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Ben said:
rollermonkey said:
Oh, and those 4-bench trains on the triple racer look so weird. Are there any surviving coasters that use 4-bench trains?

Big Dipper and Roller Coaster at Blackpool do! I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but, I'm sure there are some.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if those were 3-bench or 4.

Though I might just add my two pence, "Rollercoaster" at Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach has 5 bench trains (it has 6 trains too!)

Whilst we're on the subject of history, Skegness has a pretty interesting history with rides. There used to be (from what I worked out form pictures) 3 wooden coasters on the sea front, one of them actually on the beach:

figure_8_amusement_ride.gif

ent4.jpg

And that Enterprise was actually buit by Skegness Pier in 1980!?! Apparently, it now travels round fair circuit as an 'inverted' enterprise! I've certainly never seen it!

bazpa

Hyper Poster
I remember the Enterprise on the pier at Skegness (god I'm making myself old in this topic) I keep hoping it'll return someday.

I don't know anything about the coasters though, except for hearing that Billy Butlin used to own all the funfairs in the area before he turned to the Holiday camps.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I'll probably have to dish a few Texas Tornado pics out from Frontierland Morecambe.

Since woodies are rare in this country it would be nice to remind ourselves of the ones we used to offer.

Martyn B

CF Legend
bazpa said:
I remember the Enterprise on the pier at Skegness (god I'm making myself old in this topic) I keep hoping it'll return someday.

I don't know anything about the coasters though, except for hearing that Billy Butlin used to own all the funfairs in the area before he turned to the Holiday camps.

What was the deal with the pier back then, did it use to be its own little amusment park? If you search Skegness Pier in Google images, quite a few pics of fair ground rides pop up.

And I think it was Billy Butlin that used to own what is now Botton's Pleasure Beach, but thats it, as far as I'm aware.

I too would like that Enterprise to return one, for the main reason of wanting to ride an inverted Enterprise!

Ollie

CF Legend
^Wow. You can see how much the loops throw around the riders on that. Great old footage though. :)

CMonster

Giga Poster
Ah, you've got to miss the good ol' days, the days where heartlining was laughed at and nobody really cared about the wellfare of the riders. :wink:

And, lol at ^^ video, those kids look like they're about to cry. :lol: