What's new

Energylandia | Abyssus | Vekoma Shockwave+ | 2021

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Looking at recent news about Poland and their thoughts of LGBT folk, I think some of us will sadly have to stay clear of Energylandia and Poland itself :(
It’s not the people though, it’s the government, the majority of the people disagree with it :(

That being said I don’t blame anyone, me and my mate (both straight) were being our usual selves, pissing around, kinda flirting with each other, in the bar at Western Camp, and it visibly made the waitress uncomfortable :( we had to check ourselves :/

Lofty

CF Legend
To be fair, my partner and I (same-sex) would still go. Just as we'd still go to Dubai etc...

At the end of the day, yes, it's barbaric and incredibly dated to have the mindset on same-sex marriages that these places have, but it just means that we, as LGBTQ+ people just need to be cautious and respectful of the local culture and beliefs.

Peet

Giga Poster
Where as I, as a straight bloke, would be tempted to go there, deliberately camp it up a bit and pretend to be gay, just to piss 'em off! ?

Does that make me a bad person? ?
Maybe, but I would love to see it!

Seriously though it is shocking that the government of a country so close to home is so backward with its views on diversity that it makes LGBTQ+ people think twice about visiting. Not cool, Poland, not cool.

(Not a criticism at all of any Polish folks who support LBGTQ+ rights)

Lofty

CF Legend
Where as I, as a straight bloke, would be tempted to go there, deliberately camp it up a bit and pretend to be gay, just to piss 'em off! ?

Does that make me a bad person? ?
Well, 'pretending to be gay' makes you a bad person, yes... ?

I get your intentions are in a good place - but it's aggravating that a lot of 'straight blokes' deem being gay as camp, it's quite annoying. I wouldn't exactly consider myself or my partner as camp, yet, we can be judged and threatened in public for sharing any kinds of affection that 'normal' (straight) couples can without even a second glance.

So, please don't go and 'camp' it up and fit society's stereotypical ideology of a gay person, thanks ;)

munshun

Roller Poster
Looking at recent news about Poland and their thoughts of LGBT folk, I think some of us will sadly have to stay clear of Energylandia and Poland itself :(
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm from Poland and I can promise you, that probably no one here would care about your orientation ?
Don't get into politics so much, because whole LGBT thing was just caused by ellection of our president and his poor strategy and PR skills ? Don't forget, that western media are ofter not so objective obout my country, just because our government is lame ?

Ethan

Strata Poster
It's not just the people/public I'm thinking about. It's the same reason I don't visit places like Dubai, Russia etc. Why would I want to be a tourist, and spend my hard-earned tourist money, in a country run by those who villainize me?

I'll pass, thanks.

munshun

Roller Poster
It's not just the people/public I'm thinking about. It's the same reason I don't visit places like Dubai, Russia etc. Why would I want to be a tourist, and spend my hard-earned tourist money, in a country run by those who villainize me?

I'll pass, thanks.
Stigmatization of whole country, just because of the stupid few, who runs it, is in your opinion fair? Remind me, please, how exactly LGBT community is villainize in Poland. So you believe that your hard-earned tourist money spent on tourism would go to polish government, not to normal polish people running their businesses? Did you really compred Poland to dictatorships like Russia or UAE? I can see now, that your knowledge about Poland isn't fact based, but it's rather effect of hostile narration present in some western media. Then maybe you actually should pass, especially before doing some actual research about things you're trying to discuss.
Therefore, I'll also pass, especially on this futile offtopic. Let's get back to coasters ?

Howie

Donkey in a hat

So, please don't go and 'camp' it up and fit society's stereotypical ideology of a gay person, thanks ;)

Of course, I wouldn't really go to Poland and pretend to be gay by camping it up, that would be stupid and irresponsible, I was trying to be all trendy, post-modern and ironic!
My bad. Soz. ?

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
Remind me, please, how exactly LGBT community is villainize in Poland.
What? Have you seen what's being said there? Telling the public he's "protecting" kids from LGBT people, making them out to be monsters.

Did you really compred Poland to dictatorships like Russia or UAE?
Nope. I'm saying it's the same reason that I won't be visiting. Me deciding not to visit a country shouldn't keep you up at night.

Thing is, and you might not like to hear this, but straight people don't have to think about things like this. You can just visit a country and not have to worry about attitudes of people and governments towards something you can't change. It's sad that the UK government has a part of their website about travel advice for LGBT people, but it's necessary.

I can see now, that your knowledge about Poland isn't fact based, but it's rather effect of hostile narration present in some western media
Ohhh, you're one of those people. I get it now. I'll remember not to put value on your posts in the future.

munshun

Roller Poster
What? Have you seen what's being said there? Telling the public he's "protecting" kids from LGBT people, making them out to be monsters.
Any propaganda can be harmfull, especially for children. You can't be too carefull with them. You really think, that anyone with anything more than poo in their heads took LGBT people as a monters after this statement? How low do you value polish people? And why?

Me deciding not to visit a country shouldn't keep you up at night.

No warries, couldn't care less about YOUR visit ?
I just thought, that some stupid comments in politics should't be taken seriously by any reasonable person and be an excuse to stigmatise whole nation or country.
Ohhh, you're one of those people. I get it now. I'll remember not to put value on your posts in the future.

THOSE people?! Wow, I wasn't expecting such a term from someone who supposedly values tolerance. Hypocrisy, sounds familiar? If I would have same faith in some polish media, that you have in some, that your country offers, I might take presidents moronic statement seriously, but I don't, because of something called common sense. You should try it sometimes, it's really useful.

Anyway, I won't try to convince YOU, that you are welcome here, despite it's true, but to anyone, who is curious - Poland is really nice country and you can safely visit us, regardless of your orientation, beliefs or whatever else ?

Last edited:

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Wait, you are saying that the government's view on lgbt people is not shared by the majority of the people. But you are then insisting on not comparing Poland to a dictatorship. Remind me who just elected again that president then, if not the majority ?

munshun

Roller Poster
Wait, you are saying that the government's view on lgbt people is not shared by the majority of the people. But you are then insisting on not comparing Poland to a dictatorship. Remind me who just elected again that president then, if not the majority ?
Imagine, that you can disagree with someone on some things and agree on others. Probably there are more things majority agrees with than the ones with which they disagree. I can only remind you that stand in LGBT topic might just not be the most important thing when you are choosing president ?

Ben

CF Legend
I hope everyone that’s cancelling Poland for their nutjob leader is also cancelling America and won’t be going to Orlando any time soon... I mean you ain’t far off having to leave the UK at this rate.

I’ll be sashaying on the first flight over I can and getting the creds. Me riding an RMC is not going to make any difference on their political situation. If it bothers you that much maybe research LGTBQ+ hotels and businesses over there you can support by staying at.

And we’re also not going to resolve it in a thread about a theme park so maybe let’s just talk about how amazing the cred looks eh.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just a quick warning - this is wandering a little far off topic now.

LGBTQ+ rights in Poland (or everywhere for that matter) are very important, but I'm not entirely sure this thread is the place for it. Or at least, not in this catty backwards and forwards way it is now.

I'll be with @Ben on his flight, joining him in solidarity... on the back row of the RMC.

If we could steer this back towards the cred, I'd appreciate it.

Stevie

Roller Poster

I get your intentions are in a good place - but it's aggravating that a lot of 'straight blokes' deem being gay as camp, it's quite annoying. I wouldn't exactly consider myself or my partner as camp, yet, we can be judged and threatened in public for sharing any kinds of affection that 'normal' (straight) couples can without even a second glance.

Lofty, thank you for this.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Come on man... Some of us ‘straights’ have been camping it up for years... We don’t mean any harm by it, no prejudice, just a bit of fun we have with each other...

Please don’t take our casual flirting with each other away from us... We can’t afford to lose that, we’re already too scared to flirt with any member of the opposite sex for fear of crossing the invisible lines between fun and Inappropriate, or flirtation and harassment ??

Edit:

to steer it back have another of the very long range poor construction photos I took..

7B216460-454F-45CF-A0F9-A649676C178F.jpeg