What's new

Election 2010!

Slayed said:
I'm not having this "hype" claim against the LDs though - they've had sod all money and hardly any advertising, versus a monstrous rich media campaign and attack from the CONs for weeks!

It's not "hype" for polls to show a rise in support, or to finally get a fair crack at TV exposure! Jesus.
I'm guessing that's a dig at me for what I put on Twitter last night.

Yes, the Tories had media hype, but the Lib Dems certainly had hype. "I agree with Nick", "Cleggmania", Lib Dem flash mobs, "It's Nick Clegg's fault" was all hype! Look up the word, it describes it well! And I put "over hype" as the hype never materialised into actual wins. All mouth no trousers you could say.

I'm pretty cheesed off that the Lib Dems took Eastleigh. All of the surrounding constituencies turned blue last night (they used to be yellow) but Eastleigh didn't. Eastleigh is very working class but won't vote Labour, so the Lib Dems are the obvious choice. Also, Hune is a high profile Lib Dem so we're stuck with him.

Finally, my last comment in this topic will be about this proposed Con-Lib shack-up.

Although I would have preferred a Tory majority, this is probably the next best thing. Where the Tories are weak (namely social issues), the Lib Dem principles are stronger, where the Lib Dems are weak (crime, defense, immigration to name just three), the Tories are stronger. And anything is better than Labour.

Labour.

Labour/LibDem.

Conservative minority.

In that order.

Anything that gives those Tory ****s any sort of majority power to force through polciies signals four years of absolute horror.

And as for the dismal showing for Lib Dem. It just goes to show how many fickle, easily manipulated undecided voters there are out there. One week, second favourite, next week, losing seats on their last showing. Core support figures hardly changed and the fickle voters moved along.

Or what happens when the Tories bombarded your letter box with stupid propaganda all funded by Ashcroft the smooth ****. I hope he gets ****ing taxed the arsewipe.

Yes.

There goes Gordon Brown.....I feel sorry for him :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 672859.stm

Now I'm sure this guy will be the Labour leader, Blair mk2

embarrasing+miliband+banana.jpg

^Hah, that thumbnail for the video has caught Brown mid way through his weird inhale thing he does. Once you spot it, you can't stop spotting it!

I'm breaking my silence on this topic once again (and probably won't be for the last time!).

The chances of a Lab-Lib government has increased 10 fold. Boooo! Now will Cl*gg flip-flop and show his true colours by backing the party that didn't get the most votes or stick to his words and principles and back the Tories?

If Labour somehow remain in power, as much as it pains me to say it, I'd rather see Cl*gg take up the PM post than the new Labour leader.

I'm aware that we don't vote for the leader of a party to be our PM, we vote for the party, but at least when people put their X next to the Lib Dems, they knew who they were backing to be in power. It'll make the whole leaders debates a farce. Nobody can say they voted on 6th May without thinking which leader they wanted to lead the country.

For the sake of politics and our country, if the new Labour leader does end up being an "unelected" PM then they must call another general election (where hopefully the Tories get a majority :p).

I would hate the prospect of five years of having another Gordon Brown scenario.

It really annoys me that all the Cons people are now calling Clegg a backstabbing bastard, grow a pair eh?

What he said was that the party with the most votes should be given a chance, that's right a chance to govern. Something that he has given David Cameron by talking with him first, but clearly they have been unable to agree.

And yes Ian, it makes a mockery of the leader debates, but it doesn't make a mockery of the system as you're trying to make it out as. What you said yourself is fact, we're voting for the political party that we want in power, not the leader of the party. It's just a mindset that the media has twisted into it.

A good thing to come out of this should be that the Liberal Democrats get in next time, as Clegg is sure to agree to form a coalition with Labour on the basis that the voting system becomes proportional representation for Parliament. Then Ian will it mean we're voting for the leader AND the party, which makes somewhat more sense in these modern times. :D

nealbie said:
It really annoys me that all the Cons people are now calling Clegg a backstabbing bastard, grow a pair eh?
Name a Tory who has said that. I'm just wondering if Cl*gg will keep to his words he said before the election.
What he said was that the party with the most votes should be given a chance, that's right a chance to govern. Something that he has given David Cameron by talking with him first, but clearly they have been unable to agree.
Exactly! A chance to govern, nothing about talking! Governing!
And yes Ian, it makes a mockery of the leader debates, but it doesn't make a mockery of the system as you're trying to make it out as. What you said yourself is fact, we're voting for the political party that we want in power, not the leader of the party. It's just a mindset that the media has twisted into it.
I agree, but as I said, who actually votes soley for the local candidate without thinking of who they want as Prime Minsiter? Nobody, or at least very few people.

This election was fought and voted with the current system, so it's only fair they rule, even as a minority. I do agree the political system need to change.

This is exactly why I've grown to hate discussing this with people. Politics is a matter of opinion and no matter what somebody says or does, people will never change their mind. Nobody can have an interest in politics with an open mind, there's always some bugbear. I'm biased towards the Tories, dislike Labour and Lib Dems and that is unlikely to ever change.

So as I said before (and I mean it this time), I'm not going to post in this topic again - or tweet about it - as it appears I get mocked for what I believe in. And that's the worst thing about it. :(

Ian I can see why people now used to keep it quiet who they voted for. I was made to feel bad about who I voted for by people at work and my mum.

Everyone has different views and they should be respected. I know I said a few things to people which I now regret.

No Con I know has moaned about the talks, it's the Libs who are going mad.

I do agree with what the Scots are saying though, how can you have two parties that both lost seats form a party together.

Martyn said:
^Hah, that thumbnail for the video has caught Brown mid way through his weird inhale thing he does. Once you spot it, you can't stop spotting it!

Damn you! :lol:

I kept being told I'm wasting my vote, hence why the majority of people at the pub voted conservative (young and old), without really knowing their many of their policies.

Dave, you can never waste a vote. You can only waste a chance, and that can only be done by not voting at all.

A vote gives you the air to voice your opinion. By not voting, you are essentially giving a vote to those still in power, even if you disagree with them.

ciallkennett said:
Dave, you can never waste a vote. You can only waste a chance, and that can only be done by not voting at all.

A vote gives you the air to voice your opinion. By not voting, you are essentially giving a vote to those still in power, even if you disagree with them.

I wasn't saying I was wasting a vote. People kept saying that to me, and your response is pretty much what I said, but in a condensed way as you do after a few drinks.

No vote is wasted, what is a waste is when people do not vote and they can.

2 people I work with did not vote and they sit there and moan about what is happening at the moment, well had they voted then they could comment but I told them to shut up lol.

Ian said:
I'm guessing that's a dig at me for what I put on Twitter last night.
Not entirely, it was a sentiment I'd heard repeated a few times as the LD result became apparent. Sorry if it came across as aggressive, it was late and I was tired!

Ian said:
Yes, the Tories had media hype, but the Lib Dems certainly had hype. "I agree with Nick", "Cleggmania", Lib Dem flash mobs, "It's Nick Clegg's fault" was all hype! Look up the word, it describes it well! And I put "over hype" as the hype never materialised into actual wins. All mouth no trousers you could say.
I did!

"Hype, noun
- exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
- an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
- a swindle, deception, or trick."

That definition doesn't apply to LD anything like as much as it does to CON or LAB. I think you're confusing Twitter (and the news media) with "hype".

And you're an annoyed Tory :p.

I'm VERY surprised that Labour have effectively imploded in the last 24 hours and chosen to go into opposition - that shows a very unhealthy party.

Oh well, Cameron for PM and possibly Clegg for Deputy PM then!

I think they're thinking of their long-term future Slayed.

If Labour were to go all out to nab the Lib Dems then it will make them look like power-mad people clutching onto control, which will damage them more than sitting in opposition for this term - in my opinion. :)

Gordon Brown has just left Buckingham Palace and has resigned officially and we are now leaderless.

In 15 minutes David Cameron will become the next Prime Minister.