Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Could it be as simple as relaxation in an updated Dutch safety standard meaning the parks can take advantage of the full capability of the available technology?

It's good news either way, to my mind.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
According to Looopings, Baron is having its height restriction reduced to 1.32m, in a similar case to Fenix: https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/11808/Efteling-verlaagt-minimumlengte-voor-achtbaan-Baron-1898.html

There will be some seats which aren't suitable for those between 1.32-1.4m, intended for 'larger guests'. Modifications will take place over the next month.

Good news all round. Does anyone know how this sort of stuff occurs / comes about? Just curious really..

I know Alton/Merlin uses the height restrictions to categories it's rides regardless of the reccomended safety restriction, under 1.2, 1.2-1.4 and over 1.4. By having three bands for rides it makes life easier when giving out ride fastrack packages and height wristbands. For example, if they decided Oblivion was 1.32m now then it would make it confusing for guests who have been given a 1.2ride priority pass and there'd be no height wristband indicator for the children that fell into that mid-way catagory unless they had an Oblivion specific wristband.

Basically for a park with alot of different levels of thrill, it adds alot of confusion for guests to have such a wide range of restrictions. In Efteling however, it makes perfect sense, as Baron is the only ride with a 1.4 restriction. I went the other week with a few kids and it was a shame to have to exclude some of them when they could go on all the other rides.

EDIT: Just to add though, they generally have the park restrictions bang on what is recommended. But the likes of Sub-Terra and The Swarm (there's probably more) could actually have their restrictions lowered if the park wanted.