What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
So... for major manufacturers that just leaves Mack and Intamin, correct? Could also be S&S I suppose.

They've already worked with:
-GCI
-B&M
-RMC
-Gestlauer
-Vekoma
Buddy that "manufacturer we've never worked with before" quote was during a time when a Sally (by all rumors) dark ride was planned for 2023. Since then it seems it and this coaster have swapped places in the timeline and this is very likely Vekoma.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Disagree that it's "very likely Vekoma". It's a possibility. The evidence is just shipping records saying something was shipped to the park. I'd guess it's new trains for Tennessee Tornado before I said its a Vekoma launcher with that spread out of a layout. Or I'll eat these words on the Aug 5t and enjoy riding Wild Al's Big Bear Expedition Coaster next spring.

Looking at the plans and doing some overlaying, the station depicted is only about 50-55ft long. Far too short to accommodate trains for an Intamin Quadbike, unless it's 5-6 cars long at maximum. And with the price tag of "largest single investment" (meaning $23 million minimum), that alone, to me, signals Mack Rides as the likely supplier for this ride. I don't see a Vekoma family launch coaster being that expensive, especially not a prototype "new gen motorbike" as some people have suggested.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
Idk why everyone assumes that a Vekoma has to be cheap. They're not getting an SLC or a Boomerang. Guardians of the Galaxy cost $500 mil. You know what might cost $50 mil? A Vekoma launched flyer.

Gooberry

Roller Poster
Idk why everyone assumes that a Vekoma has to be cheap. They're not getting an SLC or a Boomerang. Guardians of the Galaxy cost $500 mil. You know what might cost $50 mil? A Vekoma launched flyer.
That would be awesome!! But Flying and Bears don't really mix.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
That would be awesome!! But Flying and Bears don't really mix.
I'm just imagining something woodsy that zips through the trees and other scenery, I haven't ridden F.L.Y. but a flying coaster would probably be pretty immersive. Great Bear is also under the track fwiw.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I'm just imagining something woodsy that zips through the trees and other scenery, I haven't ridden F.L.Y. but a flying coaster would probably be pretty immersive. Great Bear is also under the track fwiw.
Always assumed the name Great Bear was more a reference to the Constellation rather than the actual animal. Which fits a little more with the inverted format i guess.
Greatbear.jpg

BenJacobs

Roller Poster

The high cost from GofG was from the development, theming, and building the actual buildings - the coaster itself if it were built on open, flat ground would probably have cost around $20million, even with the new type of controlled spinning seats. A Vekoma flyer, like FLY, would probably cost a similar amount.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The high cost from GofG was from the development, theming, and building the actual buildings - the coaster itself if it were built on open, flat ground would probably have cost around $20million, even with the new type of controlled spinning seats. A Vekoma flyer, like FLY, would probably cost a similar amount.
Disney tends to wildly inflate the costs of their projects, as a way to move profits around the corporation without involving the tax man too much. I'm willing to bet that at least a couple hundred million of that listed price is a fee that Disney Parks and Resorts paid to the main Disney corporation for the rights to use the GotG IP. That way, the park's money is moved upstairs as a cost and not as a transfer of profit. These exorbitant fees may even give the parks large net losses on paper, for tax purposes.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
I would just like to talk a bit about the bear teaser and the new information i have been told by an insider/friend who works on the design team for Herschend Family Entertainment.

Now the teaser, which I have copied down from the phone call, I have also highlighted key information we might need. It says,

"This is Ned Oakley, I set up this hotline to gather tips about an especially big bear, I'm guessing you've got some information, since you called this number. I've been hearing stories about this bear, roaming these hills and hollers for years. Those who've seen them, swear that he's the largest bear they've ever seen. These are mountain folks who are accustomed bears, others don't believe that, they say big bear is just an old wives tale, well, that may be so, but I'm on the lookout to prove once and for all that big bear is real, and lives right here in Wildwood Grove. I'm planning excursions to go searching for big bears starting next spring, maybe you want to come help me look. If you've seen big bear, have some information, better yet, some evidence related to his whereabouts, see me at the Adventure Outpost Base Camp in Wildwood Grove. Things are going to get big."

Key points of the teaser:

Ned Oakley
- could this be the main character of the attraction, a bit like the character Silver Dollar City had for Time Traveller.

Hills and hollers - obviously pointing to where the attraction is located, on the hillside of Wildwood Grove.

Planning excursions - I will get back to this a little later as I think it points to what kind of attraction this is.

Starting next spring - this is obviously telling us that the attraction will be opening in spring 2023.

Adventure Outpost Base Camp - this is pointing to a new mini - area within Wildwood Grove and will be the home to this new attraction.

Big - the word keeps popping up throughout the teaser and is solidifying the fact that this is the single largest attraction investment ever at Dollywood.

The 3 potential Coaster types:

Intamin Family Launch Coaster:

1659171854255.png
This would give the feeling of adventure, going out into the wilderness to find the big bear. It would also offer a unique riding position for the park as the only other attraction that has a unique riding position it Wild Eagle which is a large thrill coaster.

Mack Rides Family Launch Coaster:

1659172012485.png

This would give the park a nice, reliable coaster that can do as much as the Intamin coaster. It can be customised train wise to make it look like an adventurous vehicle, and you can't fault the restraints on Mack coasters. It would offer something not too thrilling and would fit between Firechaser Express and Thunderhead thrill wise.

Vekoma Next - Gen Motorbike Coaster:

1659172337335.png

I know what your thinking but stick with me. On Vekoma's website,https://www.vekoma.com/motorbike-coasters, on the Motorbike Coaster section it says,"(soon to be announced)", and I have just contacted the people at Vekoma and they have confirmed with me that the new trains are fully customisable and can offer many different seating positions to accommodate the parks theme and preferred design.

What I think they will add in accordance to past additions:

I honestly believe that Dollywood have not only just gone for the Vekoma for the cheaper option but I think Vekoma have managed to pitch an idea to them that is what the park really wants and it can provide the park with the best family attraction that is versatile in what it can do. But, then it came to my attention through me speaking to my friend who works on the design team for Herschend Family Entertainment, that they could be using this attraction as a push off point for a multi - year expansion plan and this is only the first of a potential 4 coasters until 2030. Also, it will open the opportunity for that long awaited Sally Dark Ride at the back of the area and will start to make Dollywood a World Class Theme Park.

Matt N

CF Legend
Vekoma would make a lot of sense. Dragonflier is a Vekoma, so perhaps there was some kind of two-ride deal involved here?

Mack would also make a lot of sense, however, given that Time Traveler was recently built at Silver Dollar City.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Vekoma would make a lot of sense. Dragonflier is a Vekoma, so perhaps there was some kind of two-ride deal involved here?

Mack would also make a lot of sense, however, given that Time Traveler was recently built at Silver Dollar City.
From what I know, Dollywood signed a multi - coaster deal with Vekoma, I'm not sure how many they ordered, but I know for a fact that there were 3 when I last heard about the deal.

Gooberry

Roller Poster
Also... On the said where it says line up.... Could it be clues as to what else will be in the new expansion area?

Expeditions departing daily: The Coaster

Grin and Bear it: on ride photos?

Kid with a big appetite: New Restaurant?

Sounds of Nature: some sort of bird exhibit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-205341.png
    Screenshot_20220730-205341.png
    574.8 KB · Views: 66

Matt N

CF Legend
That makes it sound like either a Vekoma Motorbike Coaster or an Intamin Family Launch with Juvelen-style trains to me… should be a great addition either way!

Changa

Mega Poster
What happened to their claim it would be with a manufacturer they hadn't worked with before? Is there evidence that this is no longer the case?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
What happened to their claim it would be with a manufacturer they hadn't worked with before? Is there evidence that this is no longer the case?
As said before, that was during a time when the biggest rumor was a Sally dark ride for 2023. Given they went to the effort of straight up making a survey confirming they were getting a dark ride, I'm fairly certain the dark ride got pushed back and the coaster jumped the queue.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Apologies for the massive bump, but in searching through The Dollywood Company’s trademarks looking for the name of the new ride, I stumbled across:

“Dollywood’s Songteller Resort”

With HeartSong Resort still under construction and due to open in 2023, it’s WILD that they’re already planning the next one. Truly crazy how much investment is going into Dollywood and I love every bit of it!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Apologies for the massive bump, but in searching through The Dollywood Company’s trademarks looking for the name of the new ride, I stumbled across:

“Dollywood’s Songteller Resort”

With HeartSong Resort still under construction and due to open in 2023, it’s WILD that they’re already planning the next one. Truly crazy how much investment is going into Dollywood and I love every bit of it!
How do we know that Songteller Resort isn't just an alternative name for Heartsong Resort that was rejected? Often times companies will trademark more than one name for a project before they decide on the final.