What's new

Djurs Sommerland | T-Rex Family Coaster | Mack Powered Coaster | 2022

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I think it is reasonable to be a little disappointed, though. Every park in Denmark is a family park, and the last time an "Extreme" coaster (as classified by RCDB) was built in the country was in 2008. Djurs is pretty much the only park in the country with the means to build something on that scale nowadays, and they have a park full of family coasters already. It's not often that the chance to see something big comes along; this was probably the one shot we're getting for several years. It's a little painful to see it's another investment along the same lines they've already gone several times before.

This is pretty much how I feel about this.

Having followed the park very closely for more than a decade, this is the first time that an investment of theirs (at least what we've seen so far of it) doesn't really make sense to me. - Of course I would have liked them to finally go for the big thrill coaster, but the fact that they didn't isn't why I'm confused...
They went with a family attraction once again. Fair enough. But of all the (family) coaster-types you can choose from, a Mack Powered Coaster?

There are a couple of reasons why I find this odd. First of all, we already have 3 coasters of this type in Denmark and the last one opened at Tivoli just last year! Where is the novelty? - Djurs has previously been very good at choosing ride types that are unique to the country, but this certainly doesn't fit that bill.
I'm also not sure where this fits into their line-up. As said earlier, I respect that they didn't go for the big thrill this time around, but between all their current coasters, I don't see what target group this will serve, that we haven't already seen done better at the same park?

The only reason I'm frustrated about this, is because I honestly love this park and I only want the absolute best for it.
That being said, I might not know what's best and this might very well be a very successful addition, I just don't understand it at the moment.
This is just my initial reaction though and hopefully I'll come to recognize the idea of it all soon...

The one thing that makes me excited about this is even though the track design is altered a bit from a recent example, I can only prey that they do a good theming/landscaping/storyline behind it that is at least half the quality of Max and Moritz at Efteling, because if they can live up to that, then they have a decent themed family coaster experience.

James F

Hyper Poster
Well ...
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I refuse to believe that they would add a simple powered coaster... It's Djurs, they got to have a thing or two up their sleeve. Or maybe they will replace it with something similar to it's predecessor, the boat ride. In other words the focus of the ride will be much more about the coasters surrounding rather than the coaster itself.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
A friend and I visited the park this past tuesday and met up with the CEO, who were awesome as always and took us on a little tour of the construction site.
Footers for the Mack Powered Coaster are all done and most of the track and supports are there.
The area is quite huge in person and overall I think it's going to turn out great!

Here's some shots:

1602960458922.png

1602960503951.png

1602960546106.png

1602960561437.png

1602960584748.png

1602960619847.png

1602960644680.png

More pics over at CoasterClub Denmark's Facebook.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Thanks for sharing the update @TheCoasterCruiser!

It looks a great little coaster for younger visitors. There must be some pretty impressive theming/other attractions going in place as there is still a huge amount of space, and also to put a 2022 opening on it as well gives them another 15+ months!

You're welcome! - There is a lot of theming planned, the whole area will look great once done, from what I've heard ;-)

Was this always going to be a 2022 addition or has Covid helped that?

It was indeed pushed from 2021 to 2022 mostly because of COVID and the circumstances it created for suppliers etc.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
The park opened last Friday and some of my Danish enthusiast friends were invited behind the construction walls to check out the progress.
You can now see the second attraction of the area taking form, which looks like it'll be some kind of jeep ride, probably with plenty of scenery along the way.
Station building for the coaster has also started to go up, as well as some rockwork around the track path.

182486385_3239090432860648_627619976969481964_n.jpg

183178576_3239090849527273_5779493807043710169_n.jpg

182311215_3239090479527310_8004271192430607517_n.jpg

182413891_3239090359527322_5517273525219070346_n.jpg

182726885_3239090486193976_8562468736468841917_n.jpg

182315966_3239091656193859_290454544162372079_n.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CoasterClubDenmark

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I can't help but feel this is a step sideways instead of a step forward for the park. I had the pleasure of visiting last September, and the place is gorgeous, great rides and I really loved the feel of the place. However, I think this is a bit unimaginative as far as installations are concerned. It's all pretty beyond bog standard, which is a shame for a park that seemed to be pushing forward with their recent installations.

I know I am not their target audience, but still, it feels like this could have been a bit more...

STMOE

Roller Poster
I can't help but feel this is a step sideways instead of a step forward for the park..
I think a lot of us agree.
But everytime i've been there bondegårdsland is packed and filled with strollers in the relative compact area. So they do get to spread the crowds.
And if you look at the attendence increase (705k to 801k), they are probably hoping for a similar or even better result compared to bondegårdsland.
And the dino theme seems to attract across generations.

My hope is they stick to their 5 year plan. Then there should be a wooden coaster around 2024 (orig planned 2023).

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I think a lot of us agree.
But everytime i've been there bondegårdsland is packed and filled with strollers in the relative compact area. So they do get to spread the crowds.
And if you look at the attendence increase (705k to 801k), they are probably hoping for a similar or even better result compared to bondegårdsland.
And the dino theme seems to attract across generations.

My hope is they stick to their 5 year plan. Then there should be a wooden coaster around 2024 (orig planned 2023).
Any chance it might be an RMC?

I kind of agree that this is a bit too bland for a park that gave us Juvelen and Piraten. Hopefully, it will be nicely themed.

STMOE

Roller Poster
Was their 5 year plan posted anywhere? This is the first time I've heard about it!
Its never been official from the park. In 2017, Djurs Sommerland applied to the Municipality for a supplement to the approval for the expansion of the amusement park in the period 2019-2023. These papers are online.

It was planned in 2 stages.
So far stage 1 seems to partly fit with Tigeren and the dinosaur land.

Stage 2 is more uncertain. Original plans said a refurbishment of the water park and establishment of a indoor water park for 2021 and a flat ride for 2022 (30 m in height). And in 2023 a establishment of a ride to correspond to data in terms of noise, as from a similar wooden coaster. The number of trips set at 20-25 per. hour. It would have a height of approx. 35-40 meters and expected to cover an area of 5- 10,000 m2 in the extended part of the southern end of the park.

I was thinking GCI back then. But right now plans might have changed due to covid-19.