What's new

D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event Parks Panel | 10/08/24

I feel like maybe I missed something here, but if Universal has a Spiderman ride, how is Disney getting a Spiderman ride? This is probably a dumb question, but yeah.
Disney purchased Marvel Studios a few years back so now own the rights to use the characters. It's still a little messy as all the rights got split ages back so you had Sony buying the rights to Spiderman and Fox buying X-Men etc. But they're slowly all coming back together as Disney scoops them up.
I think with Universal as well they only have the rights to the comic book versions of the characters from what I can remember. Not sure what the situation is now though.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are far enough away to not be affected by Universals possibly eternal deal in Orlando for Spidey (& some others).

Loads of these announcements are interesting. Would have liked more info on exactly where in the parks and what the ride type is as it's gonna be speculation for some time. Sure do like the idea of a ToT ride system with an original theme for HK. It's what I wanted to see in the concept art but they didn't actually say.

More themed bars is excellent.

Last edited:
An interesting move to go for the live action Lion King, rather than the beloved animated film. I get that they’re pushing the live action with an unnecessary prequel, but mehh.

Certainly the most exciting stuff to come out of Disney in a very long time, and it’s nice to see they are finally reacting to Universal.
Josh D'Amaro made it abundantly clear to the live audience that it is based off the original animation. My best guess is that the concept art is left over from the Chapek Era were only recent IPs mattered to the execs.

TLDR: that was a stylistic choice made for the concept art, Josh D'Amaro did confirm to the live audience that it is based off the original film

Very impressed! Kind of awesome to see my two favourite Pixar films getting the rides they deserve! Villains Land is also hopefully going to be an awesome addition.

I feel like maybe I missed something here, but if Universal has a Spiderman ride, how is Disney getting a Spiderman ride? This is probably a dumb question, but yeah.
Universal only owns the Spider-Man rights east of Mississippi (and maybe Japan still but maybe not). Disney's free to use him as they please in Anaheim and elsewhere.

I really hope the Hong Kong Spiderman attraction is a Tower of Tower ride. It's interesting how the Avengers ride (whatever it actually was) which was supposed to be opening this year has just been quietly shelved. Something for me to look forward to when it opens in about 15 years.

TLDR: that was a stylistic choice made for the concept art, Josh D'Amaro did confirm to the live audience that it is based off the original film
Man, that sucks! The Lion King puppet show is already so outdated and bad in Animal Kingdom. Having an entire ride themed to what only old people will remember is ass. I'm 30 and even I prefer the live action over the childish animation (only applies to Lion King though, every other Live Action so far has been nothing but bad: Arielle, Beaty and the Beast).

Man, that sucks! The Lion King puppet show is already so outdated and bad in Animal Kingdom. Having an entire ride themed to what only old people will remember is ass. I'm 30 and even I prefer the live action over the childish animation (only applies to Lion King though, every other Live Action so far has been nothing but bad: Arielle, Beaty and the Beast).
I think many would disagree. It isn't just old people that remember the animation versions, many children today watch the animations. The live actions have mixed opinions across the board (I for example hated the live action Lion King but the others are OK). Most attractions in all the parks are based on animation versions and I don't think they will look to change that now Chepek has gone.

This (concept art) does not make the Magic Kingdom look any better;

EDIT, ugh TwitterX embedding has gone funny, I'll just link the image too;

GUyIWiAXgAAIxwR

This (concept art) does not make the Magic Kingdom look any better;

EDIT, ugh TwitterX embedding has gone funny, I'll just link the image too;

GUyIWiAXgAAIxwR
I think the piston at the top should be swapped out with a more natural-looking peak, but other than that, I’m… fine with this?

I find it curious that they went with what looks to be another RSR/Test Track-style ride and made it all outdoors in the Florida clate, though.

I'm kinda sad we're losing the last quiet part of MK for another ride that will command hours+ waits, but this was a change that was desperately needed. MK is too crowded and they really haven't added anything in ages so these new expansions will hopefully absorb the crowds a bit more. It would've been nice to see the Villains Land placement but I feel like we won't be seeing that for at least another 5 years or so.

Wasn't the Seven Dwarves cred the last e-ticket attraction at MK?

Seems a little jarring to put this in Frontierland but whatever floats their boat... (or lack of when Rivers of America shutters for good).

EDIT: I suppose this makes sense?
1723514399741.png

Last edited:
I'm kinda sad we're losing the last quiet part of MK for another ride that will command hours+ waits, but this was a change that was desperately needed. MK is too crowded and they really haven't added anything in ages so these new expansions will hopefully absorb the crowds a bit more. It would've been nice to see the Villains Land placement but I feel like we won't be seeing that for at least another 5 years or so.
Villains Land is going north of the Cars expansion and taking up the latter half of Rivers of America. There's a brand new pathway on the right in the concept art:

MK 1.jpg

I believe it'll eventually end up looking like this:

MK 2.jpg

It seems they've decided against building much further beyond the railroad berm (difficulties with rerouting the waterway behind it?) and are now going to contain as much as they can within it, hence the need for removing all of Rivers of America as opposed to shortening it like they did with Disneyland's. My guess is then that Villains would extend behind Haunted Mansion and allow for a direct path to Fantasyland either through Pinnocchio's Village Haus or a future expansion behind Little Mermaid and the Be Our Guest restaurant, thus removing the last of Magic Kingdom's dead ends.

MK 3.jpg

Not a fan of them ditching the rivers of america, Tom Sawyer island and the steamboats for a Cars land in Frontierland.

Some attractions should be off the table and left alone and that area should be one of them.

I'm really in two minds about this. Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer island are both slow, chilled experiences (visitor lead for Tom Sawyer) which I very much enjoy doing, however I would wager that in the case of Tom Sawyer, most people never venture over there at all. It's fun, but feels like the sort of attraction you'd expect at somewhere like Paulton's Park, not a park with a capacity of 100,000 people per day. Then I think about the land they own, and how it's a shame the expansion and existing stuff can't co-exist? Conflicted.

It will be missed, but perhaps this is for the best?

Over at Hollywood Studios, the Monster's Inc ride will be a solid addition to what is already becoming the best park on the resort. I sorely lament the replacement of old rides as usual, but I guess this all depends on what's going? Nobody was in Muppets 4d when I last visited, and perhaps Indiana Jones has had its day? That would be a real shame though, there's not much 'Studio' left in what's supposed to be a studios park.

Over in Paris it's all expansion, so no complaints there. Hollywood Studios Paris finally becoming more than a half-day park.

My main question: how long will it take most of these announced attractions to actually open, and how many will get ditched in the time before then? Some of these seem well underway - for example, I recall planning applications already went in a short while back for the Shanghai coaster, and it seems Monsters Inc. land construction will start in 2025. But I'm struggling to find any concrete info about the Hong Kong Spiderman ride, and projects like Tron do not inspire confidence in their speed of construction.

Last edited:
My main question: how long will it take most of these announced attraction to actually open, and how many will get ditched in the time before then? Some of these seem well underway - for example, I recall planning application already went in a short while back for the Shanghai coaster, and it seems Monsters Inc land construction will start in 2025. But I'm struggling to find any concrete info about the Hong Kong Spiderman ride, and projects like Tron do not inspire confidence in their speed of construction.
Put it this way, Frozen at Hong Kong Disney opened 3 years late. Yeah, Covid blah blah blah, but it would never have opened on time anyway since nothing there does. They also haven't brought back either the afternoon or nighttime parades, just quietly let them die. This year was supposed to be the opening of an Avengers ride. Again, that would've been expected to be late, but no work has even been started. This Spiderman ride is clearly a replacement. I'm not expecting to ride it for at least 3 years, if at all.