What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This was supposed to be the ‘unimportant’ part of my original reply 🙈😂😂😂

I’m honestly happy to agree with all of the points made here, they all have merit.

Ultimately I think we can all agree that those of us who prefer the most extreme thrills are not really the target market, as per @SeanN90 ’s original point. I still think B&M (once my favourite manufacturer) are getting very stale.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Likely. Noticed it especially lately, but official park-run social media pages are usually a few days behind "current" progress that the YouTube channel/vlogger video type update pages provide.
(Don't quote me on this as marketing strategies are not 100% in my field)

AFAIK it is because most park-run social media pages are targeted to people who don't follow update pages, so official park-run pages have a calendar of what and when to post to keep the interest up in the topic they want to advertise in a steady way, so in case there isn't any progress for a few days/weeks or there is some type of delay, they still have content to post.

Which, if you're really up to date with what's going on, is not great, but I can see why they do this.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused (not necessarily unhappy tho) as to why Merlin even went to B&M with this project in the first place. I've heard the talk about a 10 coaster deal but 4 of them are B&M family inverts and at least 2 are Junior Wing Coasters (one of them being MM).

Surely a company like Vekoma would have been a better choice. Just swap the Family Inverts out for 4 SFCs and I'm sure Vekoma could have come up with a somewhat unique or similar train design for a wingrider type ride. I would have thought that this would be been a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
Surely a company like Vekoma would have been a better choice. Just swap the Family Inverts out for 4 SFCs and I'm sure Vekoma could have come up with a somewhat unique or similar train design for a wingrider type ride. I would have thought that this would be been a lot cheaper.
Not necessarily. Prototypes are expensive for a company. It's not cheap to design a brand new train from the ground up. If Vekoma isn't necessarily looking to get into the wing coaster market, they might not be motivated to eat any of the development costs which will drive the price up. Plus, there is added risk for Merlin because they are getting an unknown. Vekoma is an excellent company, but there will still be associated risks with a brand new product. B&M, on the other hand, has built numerous wing coasters, including for Merlin, so they pretty much know exactly what they are getting.

catsounds

Mega Poster
To be honest, I'm a bit confused (not necessarily unhappy tho) as to why Merlin even went to B&M with this project in the first place. I know they have the 10 coaster deal but 4 of them are B&M family inverts and 2 are Junior Wing Coasters (one of them being MM).

probably a multi deal with the one at legoland maybe?

probably a multi deal with the one at legoland maybe?
Yeah, it's something like that. I saw talk in another thread that Merlin possibly has a 10 coaster deal with B&M.

1680210379848.png

Last edited:

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Yeah, it's something like that. I saw in another thread that Merlin have a 10 coaster deal with B&M.

View attachment 23915
Than it will be a 9 coaster deal and not a 10 coaster deal.
Because Legoland Belgium got cancelled.

bratcurry

Mega Poster
To be honest, I'm a bit confused (not necessarily unhappy tho) as to why Merlin even went to B&M with this project in the first place. I know they have the 10 coaster deal but 4 of them are B&M family inverts and 2 are Junior Wing Coasters (one of them being MM).

While I totally agree that Vekoma would have been the better choice given the segment they're going for here, I also believe that Vekoma's pretty much out of capacity for new short-term projects right now, so maybe that's why they went to B&M as their order books don't seem to be as full as Vekoma's.