What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Lukas D

Roller Poster
If they’ve signed a contract, they may not be able to cancel one of the coasters, at least not easily - they may end up sending it elsewhere or going for a different model in a differently location.
Given this was not due to open before 2027 and the project was everything but certain to be realized from the very beginning, I highly doubt a final contract has already been signed for anything on the Belgium site.

Where does all that talk about a 10-coaster deal with B&M even come from? We know they are working together on a significant number of projects, but that exact number seems like a random guess to me.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
So it looks like they're operating a free virtual queuing system via their app for Mandrill Mayhem. The videos pretty explanatory, but I do think it's a good idea. I know Thorpe used it for Derren Brown and Black Mirror during COVID, and I found it worked very well and kept the queue fairly minimal.

It would likely mean that you would only get to ride it once on busy days, but once is better than not at all.

rctneil

Roller Poster
This atrocity all stems from the initial conception stage. If Merlin had actually put some thought into all this back then, then surely they'd have picked a better, more suitable coaster that can actually handle being in a busy park.

A single train, shuttle coaster is useless in a park that gets as busy at Chessington does.

I've been saying for years that a coaster such as the next gen version of Juvelen would be perfect for the park.

It's family thrill, can run multiple trains, unique riding styles, gives the park a launch coaster, quad bikes fit the jungle/safari theme and can handle larger crowds.

I'm not saying that MM will be a bad ride, it's just the wrong ride for that park. The context that rides are placed in matters, and matters ALOT!

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Some fairly important news about the coaster has appeared on the parks website. Mainly, by what it seems you will only be able to ride the new coaster once per day and only by using the virtual queuing system.

No, the only way to ride Mandrill Mayhem is by booking a slot for FREE in the virtual queue ON THE DAY when you visit or by following the process outlined above if you are a Ride Access Pass user.

To ensure as many guests as possible get to ride the World’s only Jumanji rollercoaster, you will only be able to join the virtual queue for Mandrill Mayhem ONCE PER DAY.

jasone

Roller Poster
This is screaming disaster already:

Unfortunately, if you don’t have a smartphone when visiting the Resort, you will be unable to book a slot in the virtual queue.

This is actually pretty awful. I know most people have smart phones nowadays but that really isn’t the point. You enjoying something you’ve paid for at chessington by entering, shouldn’t be conditional on something else. Virtual queues are great, but unless you’re giving visitors a device to use that queue line, it shouldn’t be mandatory.

In my opinion this is pretty bad from Merlin. What the hell was going on during their decision making process with this ride?

Bentleya

Mega Poster
It's also worth noting each user can book a maximum of 6 places in the queue. So if you are attending on your own, you could only ride it once. However If you are there as a pair, you could potentially ride it twice as each person could book 2x place and so on to maximum group size of 6.

So if you want to possible get more than 1 ride on you need to be attending as a group.

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder whether this was planned from the outset? I only ask because I remember that main, Fastrack and RAP queues were all shown on the plans… would this suggest that the virtual queue may have been a more recent decision?

Also, do we reckon the virtual queue will be permanent or just in place for the first few weeks/months?

Bowser

Mega Poster
Interesting. This is basically the same system that already exists for SkyLion at Legoland for RAP users being applied to ALL users. From experience i've known on busy days to basically spend the entire trip on my phone as slots get released every 20 minutes and instantly taken. Last time i was there it took about 5 hours to get our slot so i can't imagine how this will work with a whole park capacity trying the same.

There's only a 45 minute window to access it too and Chessington notoriously has queue times far longer than this so people could easily lose their only slot as the times aren't set in stone:

The virtual queue works in real time, reacting to the ride status of Mandrill Mayhem. The virtual queue will automatically ensure guests are boarding the ride at the desired rate. If there is space in the loading queue, guests in the virtual queue will jump forward. Equally, if there are delays, the countdown timer will be paused or pushed back.

A lot of disaster potential, will definitely be waiting to see how it plays out before going.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Slots to ride Mandrill Mayhem will be bookable for Ride Access Pass users at 10 past, half past and 10 to the hour* via your Ride Access Pass account.
In your account, select the Mandrill Mayhem virtual queue icon and click ‘get on now’. A QR code appears, and you can enter the Ride Access Pass queue line for Mandrill Mayhem to board the ride.

Heading to the park June 9th. This system is giving me a migraine already. As a disabled person with crab claw hands - I really don't like using my phone when on the move/standing around. Really added to my layers of physical stress having to do this all day at BPB a few years ago. Hope this isn't going to become a standard thing. Yeah, I'll be with people, but I'm the "Monica" of the group. I'll be the one in charge of/doing everything 😂

URGH wtf MERLIN

Coastercal

Roller Poster
This virtual queue is a disaster. So you want me to drive 4 hours and 15 minutes from Blackpool to Chessington, setting off at approx 5am in the morning commute traffic, with no certain guarantee I’ll be able to ride if I can’t get a place in the virtual queue?