What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

rob666

Hyper Poster
Full circuit testing

Mr Pedantic here...no circuit, sorry.
Full track/ride testing.
Not been to Chessington in 55 years, couldn't get the kids I worked with to do Vampire, they always picked Blackpool/Alton, so I only ever got to the zoo as a toddler apparently.
Finally might get to do the park again soon, but not this year with that throughput!
I await a rainy termtime Tuesday in April 2024 with great anticipation.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Full circuit testing

This is such a weird coaster to me lmfao and that backwards spike at the start is so un-B&M. They seem to also be testing this without the train theming like they did on the legoland wing, which looks like a way better family thrill than this. I can't imagine hanging sideways on the spiral to be very pleasant and I still don't understand why only one row is backwards facing when on a shuttle coaster like this half and half would make the most sense?

English Coaster Guy

Roller Poster
From an enthusiasts perspective, it looks pointless/boring.

But, the general public will absolutely love it!

"It shoots out the station"
"It goes backwards"
"It goes upside down"
"It nearly goes off the end of the track"
"There's no track beneath you, you're just hanging off the edge"

They've played an absolute blinder in my opinion. Not one for us nerds, but it will pull in big numbers and be talked about everywhere.

Sandman

Giga Poster
From an enthusiasts perspective, it looks pointless/boring.

But, the general public will absolutely love it!

"It shoots out the station"
"It goes backwards"
"It goes upside down"
"It nearly goes off the end of the track"
"There's no track beneath you, you're just hanging off the edge"

They've played an absolute blinder in my opinion. Not one for us nerds, but it will pull in big numbers and be talked about everywhere.

I reckon the success of this one is purely down to how much decent marketing and PR it gets.
The IP will do a lot of the work, but as for the coaster type/layout, I'm not sure the success will really have much to do with that.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Believe it will be popular with the youngsters that are often at Chessington and wider families; but I am not sure that is necessarily a good thing when capacity could realistically be about 600 per hour.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Nah, I doubt Merlin would want to hammer the throughput like that. It's bad press waiting to happen.

bratcurry

Mega Poster
This is only true assuming that the ride experience isn't as boring as it looks right now.

However, if it was, even GP wouldn't want to ride it more than once and sure as hell woudn't talk about it the way you made it up.

spicy

Giga Poster
At the end of the day this is aimed at the younger audience with it's 1.2m height restriction.

This is going to be many kids first ever major coaster and probably their first inversion and looks very imposing for the younger age range.

Capacity issues aside.. It's the perfect fit for CWoA really, Should be thrilling enough for adults but the kids will enjoy it too..

If you want a 'proper' B&M wing there is one up the road..

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
At the end of the day this is aimed at the younger audience with it's 1.2m height restriction.

This is going to be many kids first ever major coaster and probably their first inversion and looks very imposing for the younger age range.

Capacity issues aside.. It's the perfect fit for CWoA really, Should be thrilling enough for adults but the kids will enjoy it too..

If you want a 'proper' B&M wing there is one up the road..
Agreed!

I think this is perfect for the younger audience who are willing to be daring…

By no means is this a monster Wing Coaster but it fits the bill and fills the niche in Chessington’s line up.

In terms of ride experience, none of us can say until we ride it for ourselves.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
i was going to post a ranting statement, kicking and screaming about how much i hate the look of this thing however it seems like that conversation has already been had; i know the finishes arent quite there yet, but so far, any hope i had for this being able to pass with an 'it's alright i suppose' is rapidly diminishing.

that helix has fulfilled every single one of my nightmares. it dwarves the jaguar 'mountain'. it enters it really fast for a family coaster. even if it rides well, it looks so so awkward. I really hope it rides better than it looks.

so much for 'fixing' a boomerangs capacity issue; another low throughput headliner attraction for chessingtons lineup - JUST what they needed!

I wonder what year it was when anything besides the log flume got more than 1000pph, and even then its so crippled and suffocated from old age and poor upkeep it keels over and dies about 3 times a day anyway. Chessington has so much potential if proper due diligence and consideration is given to it; things we got glimmers of in the mtdp a few years back. such a shame merlin have been blindsided by... merlin.

bleurgh.

Last edited:

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I'll stand by what I said all along, they needed a queue muncher like Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland.

Could have easily fit in with theme of Jumanji (arguably better than riding on a flying monkey) and wouldn't have had the glaringly obvious capacity issues.

The GP however will lap it up as it does all sorts of strange things that kids will talk about at school - even if they need to queue for 2 hours to get on it.

jasone

Roller Poster
I'll stand by what I said all along, they needed a queue muncher like Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland.

Could have easily fit in with theme of Jumanji (arguably better than riding on a flying monkey) and wouldn't have had the glaringly obvious capacity issues.

The GP however will lap it up as it does all sorts of strange things that kids will talk about at school - even if they need to queue for 2 hours to get on it.

I do agree. Something like Juvelen would have been a great fit for Chessington. Everything about this ride just seems awkward to me. Needing 4 launches to complete such a short layout, also the sideways hangtime on that helix at the top is going to uncomfortable at the very least, and probably not a great experience for most of the kids riding it.

It's still great Chessington are getting a new headline attraction though, and i'm sure it will still be popular with youngsters seeking a bit of thrill.

rctneil

Roller Poster
Ever since I rode Juvelen back in 2014, i've thought it would seriously be the perfect fit for Chessington. Quad bikes through a safari area, just works. Nice double launch, unique (for London area) riding position and an absolute queue eater (exactly what Chessington needs).

I agree that any and all rides add to the parks overall capacity, but a large majority of those visiting will want to ride this so the fact it is soo low on throughput really doesn't help.

One thing is for sure, there's no way I will be visiting on a weekend!