What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Interesting seeing the reactions on facebook on Alton Towers still stating they will open this weekend.
I don't know what is best but I think more strict guidelines are expected from the government. This all sounds a bit wishy washy to me.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
To be honest, it feels like only the parks who can afford to close and get the PR benefit of "doing the right thing" and the parks who can't afford to open during extremely low turnouts will close or delay opening.

Unless of course Governments force them to close.

It is rather telling that Merlin's European parks are delaying their opening whilst the UK lot aren't (yet.) That speaks a lot of the different attitude here tbh.

It will be kinda interesting to see going forward how businesses will cope if we have a peak that effects large numbers of their staff in one go, the parks included.

The attendance numbers are going to be **** for parks globally. Especially smaller tourist parks - like Gardaland, for example. Even once this is all "over", there will be period of reduced booking because people can't afford to take holidays or haven't had the time to play them.

But I wonder if "local" parks will see the least damage? Once things are looking up, an easily planned spontaneous visit to a local amusement park would be a very apt celebration. Outdoors, social. If the weather is decent this summer we might see good numbers at the parks that in part compensate for a ****ty Easter.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Several years ago, Nick Varney was righfully banging the drum for VAT cuts for entertainment industry. Wonder if we'll see this topic crop up again when all this blows over, as it might just be what happens. Although it's unlikley parks would pass this saving on to the customers anyway, if they did, a cheaper entry price might get feet through the door.

Matt N

CF Legend
In some more positive coronavirus-related theme park news, Happy Valley Shanghai reopened to pass holders today in preparation for an official reopening on Friday:
I've also heard that Shanghai Haichang Ocean Park is reopening on Friday. In my opinion, this is great news; to me, it definitely signals that the worst of the outbreak is over in China and that the tourism industry over there is beginning to recover.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Kind of off-topic but just to emphasise the scale of this outbreak, Glastonbury 2020 has been cancelled (currently inside knowledge, no official announcement yet).

And that’s in June, so kind of puts a perspective on how long this is going to impact our lives for

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
What a time to be alive...
Here in Denmark pretty much everything (restaurants, cafes, pubs etc.) will be closing from 10AM today, except for critical functions of course (hospitals, supermarkets and pharmacies etc.) and gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed, neither indoors nor outdoors... I have to say that even though this obviously sucks, I'm quite happy with how my country is handling this and I can't fathom how any theme parks anywhere can still be open...

I had a trip booked for the opening weekend of Linnanmäki April 25th-26th and a little over week ago I was beginning to think that maybe the trip would be cancelled... It’s crazy how fast things develop… Not going to theme parks or seeing trips you've been looking forward to get cancelled is obviously quite ****ty, but when we know what we know now, it's an easy sacrifice to make and it doesn't matter at all when looking at the bigger picture.
I'm honestly quite ashamed to see fellow enthusiasts be angry that parks are closing because it'll affect their "lifestyle" or seeing them be happy because "that park is still opening". I mean wake the **** up! Our little hobby means NOTHING in the light of what is going on at the moment. I know a lot of you share this philosophy, but I just had to vent a bit there.

When that is said, it's gonna be an insane year for the industry, that is for sure.
I sincerely hope that all parks will make it out alive (although I know that's a long shot).
Our hobby will have to stay online for a bit, let's make the best of it <3

Last edited:

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
Phantasialand near Cologne confirmed closure today, as of now, until April 19th. The province of North Rhine Westphalia, where it is located, has the largest number of infections in Germany, which just passed 3000. The cities of Colmar and Mulhouse, in Alsace, eastern France and in vicinity of Europa Park on the German side, now have run out of hospital beds and equipment for intensive care. Some reports said that sick people have to be rejected, possibly left to die, like in Italy. The army is supposed to set up field hospitals. In Germany, the tsunami is still about to hit the shore, but the number of cases skyrockets, doubling about every four days and probably passing 10000 tomorrow. Severe restrictions on businesses were enacted last weekend, therefore, slowdown of infections may occur by end of march.

I hope the parks can re-open in summer, although probably with tight rules on hygiene and distance. There are now grim months ahead, both due to disease and economic collapse. But I hope, once people can afford it, re-opening of parks will be a welcome sign of life returning.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Even though playgrounds here are supposed to be closed, and large gatherings are discouraged, children are playing, parents are sitting together and enjoying the good weather.
As long as people do not care about spreading the virus, it will continue to spread rapidly. If we remain continuous and careful, we should be able to get our infections down rather quickly. However, as the virus takes 7-14 days before first symptoms occurs, all measures will only take effect with this delay, giving the infection plenty of time to spread further.

So please, keep your distance to other people, and stay at home when you have any symptoms at all. That’s a thing everyone can do to prevent Corona from being with us for the next 1 or 2 years.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The UK theme parks position is irritating. I’m currently self-isolating so I can’t go to BPB this weekend. BPB are not allowing me to change my ticket to another date.

It seems a bit short sighted, no? First, people that are infected may feel financially forced to go for fear of missing out. Secondly, it makes repeat customers like me think... “**** BPB - how about I never visit you again?”

I sympathise that they are trying to maximise cash but it does leave me feeling sour. It’s also not helped that the Government isn’t forcing them to close, so any voluntary closure is unlikely to be set off via insurance.

I suppose everyone should step up:

I should suck up the £80 lost on this weekend’s trip.

BPB should stop being nobs.

Government should force closures to give theme parks a break.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
The UK theme parks position is irritating. I’m currently self-isolating so I can’t go to BPB this weekend. BPB are not allowing me to change my ticket to another date.

It seems a bit short sighted, no? First, people that are infected may feel financially forced to go for fear of missing out. Secondly, it makes repeat customers like me think... “**** BPB - how about I never visit you again?”

I sympathise that they are trying to maximise cash but it does leave me feeling sour. It’s also not helped that the Government isn’t forcing them to close, so any voluntary closure is unlikely to be set off via insurance.

I really don’t like the stance BPB have taken in all of this. Puts me off going back in the future to be honest.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster

I'm also booked for BPB this weekend and I'm glad they are open as I'm hoping it will boost my spirits in these dreadful times. However I do agree that they are not making a good name for themselves by not refunding people who are self isolating

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Well I’ve emailed now BPB to make it more clear why I won’t be attending (i.e. because I’m following government advice to self-isolate so whilst I’d rather attend, and I could attend, it’s better for others that I do not) - I’ve also suggested I’d rather reschedule and pay an admin fee rather than request a refund, so whilst they want to stay open I think I’m being pretty reasonable.

Let’s see what happens.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Seriously... you should not go, either! To protect yourself and everyone!
Unfortunately this is not possible for some of us who have to go to work every day.

However, I completely understand your sentiment. People should not be doing things right now that are unessential to way of life. That includes bars, clubs, cinemas, theatre shows, concerts and unfortunately, theme parks.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I don't see why Alton Towers especially, would risk opening. People can happily post that they think Alton Towers will keep "them safe" but in the case of them catching the virus at the park and passing it onto a vulnerable relative who then dies they will be the first to slam the park for being reckless in the media. I do not believe you can protect anyone from catching this thing unless they can't show up. Even experts on infectious diseases are catching it.