What's new

Cool way to view parks (and other stuff)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
While doing a bit of research for the next series of Table of Elements I noticed something interesting and a new (for me, at least) feature in Google Maps!

Note: the animations below are a little rough due to the compression and don't give the best representation - I suggest you try it yourself!

I've known for a while about the parallax effect that Google Maps can now render. It gives a pretty neat simulation of what you'd see if you were hovering above the ground. As you move the view around the perspective shifts on each one, giving a really nice 3D effect.

ioa_1_compressed_zpspquebnlb.gif

However, they have now enabled an effect which lets your zoom and pan a camera any way you like in 3D space. And all from straight within the browser!

ioa_2_compressed_zpsbicktmqy.gif

It appears to only have been done for some places (seemingly at random), but most major cities have this feature now.

To turn it on, simply view Google Maps in Satellite/Earth view, and then click the "3D" button.

Capture3_zpsxm2vtrgn.png

Really impressive, and a pretty cool feature! Please share anything else cool you find. :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I've known this for a while, and I like it. My only complaint/suggestion is that they add an option to completely disable the 3d models. Gets slightly annoying when you're trying to do something with top-down pictures.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
I have used this to get a better idea of how parks are laid out! It really is quite a cool feature that everyone should check out.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seems like I'm behind the trend! :p
I've known this for a while, and I like it. My only complaint/suggestion is that they add an option to completely disable the 3d models. Gets slightly annoying when you're trying to do something with top-down pictures.
That's actually the thought process I was going through when I found this. I was hoping to remove the parallax effect, and thought the 3D button would do that! I agree, it would be nice to turn the effect on/off.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
It annoys me how ugly some of them look in that form at the moment.
I remember seeing it on Shambhala and Khan and it' a right mess.
At least the Ferrari coaster doesnt exist on Google Maps yet.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It annoys me how ugly some of them look in that form at the moment.
I remember seeing it on Shambhala and Khan and it' a right mess.
At least the Ferrari coaster doesnt exist on Google Maps yet.
Yeah, unfortunately I think it's to do with how these images are generated. The old "3D" effect that you used to be able to do on Bing maps was generated without much in the way of a 3D model. The images were simply generated by doing a lot of maths on the images and working out the size and shape of everything from the moving camera.

The crude nature of these images (and the simply vast areas that are available in 3D now) leads me to think they're doing a similar process here. I suspect it'll only get better as the algorithms/computers get smarter and faster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've been geeking out to this for a while. It's interesting the parks that have been rendered, and how many Six Flags parks still have yet to make the cut.

Cool technology though!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Wow! I've known about the 3D function for some time but always thought you were restricted to certain angles. The ctrl Click function for panning is awesome i cant believe i didn't notice this before. Must admit i would have thought google would have made it a little clearer as i assume there are many others that use the 3D function but don't know about the pan function.

Sythe

Mega Poster

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
Download Google Earth and you get that

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk