What's new

CF Speed Build Competition | Round 1 | VOTE for your winning layouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
CFBadgeHyper.png

All entries are in, and it's time for you to pick your favourites from the entries listed below.

Please pick your top 5 entries, from 1st to 5th. Voting purely on the layout alone, please ignore any theming or landscaping, this was added purely so you do not have to watch 13 Car Park coasters!!! It's the layout you're judging. You should base this decision on the coasters you would most like to ride.

Points will be awarded to the contestants chosen for each person that votes as follows: 1st = 5pts, 2nd = 4pts, 3rd = 3pts, 4th = 2pts and 5th = 1pt

Please also pick your choice of 'Most Realistic Layout' considering things like forces involved, likelihood of existing etc etc... As well as your pick for 'Most Original Layout' considering things like completely new elements, elements new to the coaster type, etc.

I will vote first and you can use my vote post as a template / guide.

ALL MEMBERS CAN VOTE, INCLUDING CONTESTANTS WHO MUST VOTE.

Some additional rules for contestants only:

• You MUST vote, or face a deduction of 5 points from your allotted total.
  • You cannot vote for yourself.
Once again... PLEASE IGNORE THEMING AND LANDSCAPING AND JUDGE PURELY THE LAYOUTS

You have until 9pm GMT on Sunday 30th to vote

As a side note, for anyone unaware, the reason we're judging layouts and only layouts is because these coasters were designed using different software packages, and some of those packages offer a serious advantage when it comes to theming, so this is to keep a level playing field.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTRIES

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Matt N

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126270

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@Nicky Borrill

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126291

@FistedColossus

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126714

@Skyye

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126794

@Thecoasterrus

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126842

@Hixee

Video (on ride) -

Video (off ride) -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1126856

@Leon_K

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127279

@Rollercoaster David

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127401

@Niles

Video (on ride) -

Video (off ride) -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127463

@HeartlineCoaster

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127572

@Kw6sTheater

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127599

@Archie

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127576

@VikingParrot

Video -

Entry Post - https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...ompetition-round-1-entries.45300/post-1127629

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My Votes, please feel free to use this layout as a template.

This has got to be cliché, but I genuinely mean it when I say this was so hard to judge**, some really good entries.

Overall Top 5
1st) @Kw6sTheater
2nd) @Niles
3rd) @Thecoasterrus
4th) @Hixee
5th) @HeartlineCoaster

Most Realistic Layout: @Hixee

They are all plausible imo, given what we've seen done in the last 5 years. But Hixee's , like Matt's but more so, felt exactly like something B&M would churn out.

Most Original Layout: @HeartlineCoaster

This was the hardest thing to judge of all. And could have gone to any of the Mack or Intamin Designs. I went back and forth on this so many times.

EDIT: ** Actually, I've just remembered, we once held a kids Halloween fancy dress competition at the pub and I had to judge the winners of some reasonably good prizes... Never, ever, ever, volunteer to judge kids!!! How do you tell a 6 year old, who's put so much effort in, that their costume isn't the best! Anyway, back to the competition...

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
Overall Top 5
1st) @Niles - Basilisk
2nd) @Hixee - Glade Rider
3rd) @Kw6sTheater - Phoenix
4th) @Archie - Vulcan
5th) @Skyye - Alpine Ritual

Most Realistic Layout: @HeartlineCoaster - Hyperbole
- I could easily see Mack making something like this.

Most Original Layout: @Hixee - Glade Rider
- For all the funkiness. (trick hill, turn in and out of terrain, Intamin twistiness)

It's been a pretty tough one to decide. For the Planet Coaster players, I understand how hard it can be to make smooth transitions in that game, but by the same token my attempts to fiddle with No Limits have lead to disappointing results at best. All that matters is that we have seen a lot of creative ideas in this round!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Overall Top 5
1. @Hixee - Very smooth, drastic departure from a typical B&M hyper (in a good way though - I'd love to see B&M's future layouts head in this direction), and all-around excellent.
2. @HeartlineCoaster - Very realistic, smooth and especially love that non-inverting loop threading the lift.
3. @Niles - Wild layout, particularly enjoyed the relentless pacing and outerbanks.
4. @Skyye - Also impressively smooth for PlanCo, and holds its speed well.
5. @Archie - Impressively smooth for PlanCo, definitely feels like a supersized B&M hyper bordering on giga, but those inversions in the second half spice things up and give it a distinct flair from a conventional B&M hyper.

Most Realistic Layout:
@HeartlineCoaster - Feels like a more wild take on Flash/Hyper Coaster, but still exactly something I'd expect from MACK - a large, mostly graceful ride with some whippy moments throughout.

Most Original Layout:
@Rollercoaster David - Sabertooth - I love your mixture of one-of-a-kind elements in with the tried-and-true - the sideways stall turnaround, double-up speed hill and sideways double inversion stall (that's a mouthful) were the standouts to me. It's inspired me to try some of them in NoLimits 2 (with tweaks for smoothness and realism, of course).

That being said, I was glad to see plenty of uniqueness and varied designs from everyone's entries! Creativity and ingenuity is never a bad thing.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sooo... Just in case my explanation was a bit rubbish... Here is a visualisation of how the results will be calculated for each round... As well as a sneak peek at how things stand currently for this round (although, don't expect regular updates in the future!)

table.jpg

Niles

Giga Poster
First off, everyone did great, I had to watch them over and over to try and work out how to rank these.

Overall Top 5

1st) @Kw6sTheater - A great balance of realism and layout, would love to ride it if it was real, really nice elements.

2nd) @Thecoasterrus - A well thought out graceful layout.

3rd) @Hixee - Nice long forceful layout, love all the tunnels.

4th) @Archie - Creative, smooth and all the inversions are a great addition.

5th) @HeartlineCoaster - Starting with the lift going through the loop is great, rest of the layout is fun to.

Most Realistic Layout: @Matt N - I can see B&M doing something just like this, very graceful.

Most Original Layout: @Nicky Borrill - great funky layout, nice outer banks.

Matt N

CF Legend
OK, I’ve watched them all, and while everyone did great, I’ve made a decision on my choices:
  1. @Kw6sTheater
  2. @Niles
  3. @Hixee
  4. @Skyye
  5. @Thecoasterrus
Most Realistic: I’ve got to say, I did like the layout from @Hixee for realism; in spite of its more unique elements, I do think it looked like a very believable B&M hyper!

Most Unique: I’d have to go for @Archie on this one; I think the concept of an inverting B&M Hyper is a great one, and I have to say that I think you pulled it off really well!

But on the whole, I think everyone did a great job, and if I didn’t mention you, don’t take that as an insult; the choice was very tough!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
OK, I’ve watched them all, and while everyone did great, I’ve made a decision on my choices:
  1. @Kw6sTheater
  2. @Niles
  3. @Hixee
  4. @Skyye
  5. @Thecoasterrus
Most Realistic: I’ve got to say, I did like the layout from @Hixee for realism; in spite of its more unique elements, I do think it looked like a very believable B&M hyper!

Most Unique: I’d have to go for @Archie on this one; I think the concept of an inverting B&M Hyper is a great one, and I have to say that I think you pulled it off really well!

But on the whole, I think everyone did a great job, and if I didn’t mention you, don’t take that as an insult; the choice was very tough!
Oh Matt, never, ever change, you are a breath of fresh air, quite possibly the most considerate and caring person I've ever come across! I don't think anybody here will be insulted by your choices, they're excellent layouts.

@Rollercoaster David @Hixee @VikingParrot and @Leon_K don't forget to vote!!!

Also, anybody else reading this, please please vote, would be nice to have the opinions of some who haven't taken part too! 🙈

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right, sorry it's taken me a while. Am I the last?

Anyway, here's my feedback for all the coasters (in the order of Nicky's first post in this thread):

@Matt N - Layout reminded me a lot of the newer-gen B&Ms, with a nice mix of airtime and corners. Only criticism here is a lot of the corners were right turns - it's nice to try and keep that mixed up, in my opinion.

@Nicky Borrill - This was a real beast of a coaster - very impressive. It did feel quite long for one block, but I guess you might be able to argue that a way with a long lift hill. ;)

@FistedColossus - This captured Intamin's style well, and I especailly liked the mid-course non-inverting loop. Some of the transitions were a little aggressive, but I'll let that fly with PlanCo.

@Skyye - I loved the epic first drop one this, and this felt very realistic.

@Thecoasterrus - I thought the turnaround for the out-and-back leg of this coaster was nice, it made a proper feature of it.

@Hixee - N/A

@Leon_K - Might have been the slowest lift hill in the world, but the transitions were all pretty decent and it felt like a slightly drawn out version of an old-school B&M. Would have been good to use some more of the available height in the first half, I think.

@Rollercoaster David - Almost the lovechild of I305 and Velocicoaster, I liked the variety of elements too.

@Niles - This was one of the most intense layouts - really quite something overall!

@HeartlineCoaster - Good work on capturing the Mack feel, I think a nice layout overall.

@Kw6sTheater - I loved this. I thought the mix of elements (big, small, high, low) was great as well as the build quality, pacing and creativity.

@Archie - Worked fairly well, but it was very long!

@VikingParrot - I'm sorry to say that I think this might have been a little too rushed. I actually quite liked the concpet, but the shaping did leave a little bit to be desired.

So, that's all the feedback. How about the final rankings then.
  1. @Kw6sTheater
  2. @Skyye
  3. @FistedColossus
  4. @HeartlineCoaster
  5. @Nicky Borrill

Then additionally:
Most realistic - @Matt N
Most original - @Niles

Good work everyone - that was fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.