What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

And Zamperla, here we go...

Crack in the WHEEL, like the steel frame? Or crack in the polyurethane coating that rides the rails?

Very big difference between the two. If it's the wheel, this could be down for much much longer as they might need to design/manufacture new wheels for all the trains.

Now if it's the polyurethane...not such a big deal, blown polyurethane is pretty common...however typically that just calls for a replacement, which can be done in an hour, and the train is up and running again. Not a full blown shut down of the entire ride for an extended period of time.

One thing I noticed during the preview videos, which I haven't seen discussed (I will see if I can find a screenshot, but I have to go through the vids)...it looked to me like the "gap" between the transfer and stationary track where the trains enter the circuit looked wayyy too wide to me initially. Like, a gap that looked to be about an inch or more.

Meaning during the ride, I would have thought there was a pretty obvious "bump" while the train rode over that portion of the track. Did anyone notice that while riding?

If that's the case, I wonder if due to the sheer speed of the ride constantly going over that gap, if it could be a contributing factor to the damage.

I know so many people who've gone out there, or are heading out there in the coming weeks, this really sucks for them. :/

I take it you've seen the news @Will ??? Hope it's back up and running for you. 🤞

I know so many people who've gone out there, or are heading out there in the coming weeks, this really sucks for them. :/

I take it you've seen the news @Will ??? Hope it's back up and running for you. 🤞
I’m supposed to be going June 16-20. First time coming and never rode dragster. I literally went out my way not to come until the new dragster was ready. So this is a big deal to me.

Does anyone know if the hotel breakers offers rescheduling for later in the season? I googled it but found more questions than answers so I may call them. Fingers crossed that this is much quicker fix than it looks

I’m supposed to be going June 16-20. First time coming and never rode dragster. I literally went out my way not to come until the new dragster was ready. So this is a big deal to me.

Does anyone know if the hotel breakers offers rescheduling for later in the season? I googled it but found more questions than answers so I may call them. Fingers crossed that this is much quicker fix than it looks
I mean… second half of June, should be back open by then right? RIGHT?

Yeah - I'd seen. I'm just going to have to accept it will probably be closed rather than driving myself mad looking at updates and clinging onto hope :(

Maybe Snoopy's Soap Box thingy and open early and redeem matters 🤣 🤣

There remain a lot of rumors swirling on the trains as culprit - this partly stems from a very real modification that was done on the wheel guard from initial conception to deployment to be sure a rider couldn't get their foot onto the wheel if poked from a very specific direction. So unclear if the "wheel" thing comes from that, or something ongoing.

Overall, we do know the trains are lighter and taller than the original design - this would spell out higher wind resistance, if we're merely facing that. To deeper, underlying track or system designs, unsure and unclear what (if anything) that would look like.

To entertain more of the "rough ride" theory, the LSMs were noticeably dodged with blue painters' tape and some LSM fin side scraping. This can be natural/expected occurrence for regular ride operation, but I could speculate (again, speculation here, no evidence in hand to prove out) the jostling of coaster trains at high speed could be causing undue wear to the LSMs. A partial solution to that would be installing additional support/grounding to let the track not wobble as freely when under launch.

I say we just LSM the top hat for safe measure. :p

No matter how long the ride is closed for how long do you guys think it will be before we know something? Whether that be a reopen date or a statement saying that it’s indefinite? I mean I know the actual post they put up can be interpreted as indefinite, but the GP see the closed for one weekend part and probably think it’s going to be opening this Saturday

Not entirely sure how reliable of a source Screamscape is, but they seem to think the closure will be two months minimum, which makes sense based off everything we've heard. Gutted as I'm going on a bit of a once in a lifetime trip to CP all the way from the UK in mid-June, and TT2 was potentially my most anticipated ride.
1715676463552.png

Not entirely sure how reliable of a source Screamscape is, but they seem to think the closure will be two months minimum, which makes sense based off everything we've heard. Gutted as I'm going on a bit of a once in a lifetime trip to CP all the way from the UK in mid-June, and TT2 was potentially my most anticipated ride.
View attachment 31492
They have an ok batting average; indeed the rumors seem to corroborate and point to refabrication of a train component. Fingers crossed on seeing motion at least by June. 🤞

They have an ok batting average; indeed the rumors seem to corroborate and point to refabrication of a train component. Fingers crossed on seeing motion at least by June. 🤞

Yeah, I'd agree with you as far as Screamscape being fairly reliable.

If I had to guess the bogeys and/or wheels got bent and/or cracked. Only thing that makes sense considering ElToroRyan's latest vid on TT2 (nonchalantly highlighting those very parts of the train), and as far as the time line being proposed regarding remanufacturing.

I would not think the ride will be closed for the season, but 2 months sounds fairly accurate.

Just a gripe out loud: I find this to be fairly unacceptable from Zamperla. The previous Intamin trains lasted two decades without any sort of these kinds of problems (yes, I remember the decorative tire incident, and yes, they did have to shorten the train length, but that had nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the train itself). Not only did they have the previous Intamin train template to build from as an example, but these kinds of things are supposed to be SO overengineered that this kind of basic issue shouldn't even be a concern after less than 2 months of running.

I know the CF relationship with Intamin has been severed, but I still think they would have been the very best solution for the revamp, with the now proven trains and the proven magnetic launch systems they use to accompany them.

I initially dismissed it as teething issues with a prototype but apparently the situation is serious.

TT2 crew was kept in the dark on the issues but maintenance has been kind enough to leak out stats to a bunch of ride ops and the info's run rampant, so ok to spread. From a firsthand source though the final tally has come down to 27 cracked wheel bogies on all three trains, damaged chassis, and some broken LSM fins. All of this after only two days of public operation, a few days of previews, and several months of commissioning.

As @Hyde mentioned the trains have been making physical contact with the LSM's. Whether this was caused or exacerbated by the "rough ride" isn't clear.

I wonder if they'll use this down time to add some free lockers to the queue line. I somehow doubt it.
Heard they were originally intended but got cut. Very much hearsay but Cedar Point cut some fat from the budget apparently, according to a couple of different sources at the park. Tony Clark would have you believe it’s not possible but if they truly wanted them they would have done that.

Overall I wasn't intending to get out to Cedar Point this year anyways so not terribly iffed by the possibility of an extended closure. Had some friends that travelled for opening weekend and they were pretty wowed, hope for everyone's sakes they can fix these issues quickly. Also hoping even harder that Canada's Wonderland didn't buy Zamperla for whatever our Project 2025 is, would be a travesty if that park was spending huge amounts of money on infrastructure for a mechanically challenged prototype 😅.

Last edited:
It turns out then that an Italian manufacturer best known for vommy flat rides and the Volare, aren't up to the task of renovating an iconic, Swiss engineered, 420ft, 120mph, world record breaking launch coaster after all.
Wellllll sh*t.
In other news, water wet, sky blue and fire a bit on the hot side.

Last edited:
I initially dismissed it as teething issues with a prototype but apparently the situation is serious.

TT2 crew was kept in the dark on the issues but maintenance has been kind enough to leak out stats to a bunch of ride ops and the info's run rampant, so ok to spread. From a firsthand source though the final tally has come down to 27 cracked wheel bogies on all three trains, damaged chassis, and some broken LSM fins. All of this after only two days of public operation, a few days of previews, and several months of commissioning.

As @Hyde mentioned the trains have been making physical contact with the LSM's. Whether this was caused or exacerbated by the "rough ride" isn't clear.

Oh those lockers were planned all the way up to the final design. That and a couple other trivial things were cut from the budget to pay for an expense that the original coaster had left Cedar Fair. Although Tony Clark would have you believe otherwise, it was definitely possible.

Overall I wasn't intending to get out to Cedar Point this year anyways so not terribly iffed by the possibility of an extended closure. Had some friends that travelled for opening weekend and they were pretty wowed, hope for everyone's sakes they can fix these issues quickly. Also hoping even harder that Canada's Wonderland didn't buy Zamperla for whatever our Project 2025 is, would be a travesty if that park was spending huge amounts of money on infrastructure for a mechanically challenged prototype 😅.
But at least the OTSRs with no seatbelts remain in tact!

From a firsthand source though the final tally has come down to 27 cracked wheel bogies on all three trains, damaged chassis, and some broken LSM fins. All of this after only two days of public operation, a few days of previews, and several months of commissioning.

So basically, throw 50% of the trains away and start from scratch.

Oy vey. What a f***ing disaster.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Total effing PR disaster.

Both for CP and Zamperla.

Zamperla finally gets called up to the bigs and gets a promising base hit with their first at bat, then strikes out three times, capped off with a MAJOR unforced error that costs the game.

Whoops.