What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Snoo

The Legend
Current ride ops at the park

Well I've never taken Ride Ops for word for 100% fact as I've known some over the years, especially at CP, who've only known some of the truth and not all. But, as I said, I have no doubts it being the truth given the actual operation and troubles with the ride. :D

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
There is no 3 train operation mode. The ride actually can't run 3 trains since it's not been programmed to yet.

I'm gonna call bull****. All parties involved - Irvine Ondrey Engineering, Rocky Mountain Construction, and Cedar Point - just straight up would not accept opening a ride with such a critical component that isn't ready for prime time. If this is somehow true and they actually don't have a means to operate all three trains, it's a MONUMENTAL process failure.

Based on what I've observed thus far (all speculation), the controls system isn't actually at fault here - it's the brake hardware. Whether the brakes themselves are not performing as expected or the trains are too heavy is anyone's guess, but something is causing the trains to not stop in time and a controls system will not be able to fix that if the entire system is hardware limited.

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
I just find it hard to believe that CP would open this ride if they had any evidence that the brake system were at risk. There is just no way they would risk a law suit

Snoo

The Legend
I just find it hard to believe that CP would open this ride if they had any evidence that the brake system were at risk. There is just no way they would risk a law suit

I don't think they did. Things happen during normal ops that you simply can't test for. Coming from an IT background, I can confirm that as full fact.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Rode SV three times this weekend. Waited about 45 minutes Saturday night (got in line around 9pm, right before the line was closed for the Coaster Camp Out event) and about 90 minutes each time on Sunday (got in line at 9:30am then again at 9:15pm). This ride is absolutely unreal. I would have to say one of the best, if not the best, coaster I have ever been on. It is non stop action from start to finish. I rode in the middle of the train the first two times and the very back the last time and I can also confirm it is a completely wild ride in the back. WOW! RMC and CP really went for it with this ride and they delivered.

Christopher

Roller Poster
We are headed there today!! Looking forward to riding steel vengeance! We’ve riden RMC’s outlaw run, Goliath and lightning rod. Can’t wair to experience Steel Vemgence ! Are they still on one train ops?

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
They were running 1 train ops this past weekend so I would have to assume they still are since Tony or CP hasn't stated otherwise. Enjoy! It's a great coaster. Ride it in the very back!

I love that the lift hill for this coaster is SO LOUD but the ride itself whispers on the track.

Christopher

Roller Poster
What a ride! We loved it! Non stop action from beginning to end! Bravo to Alan, RMC and CP for one amazing ride We only got to ride once with a 105 minute wait and it was up and down all day. They really need to get multi train action back quickly !

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's a video comparison of the new brake design and operation vs. old. Much quicker, harder stop with some magnetic brakes in a fixed position to ensure a very intentional, slow brake operation. Good adjustment that shouldn't much of the ride experience.

Snoo

The Legend
Surprising this wasn't done originally. But as I mentioned, mistakes happened. Glad they're getting it rectified quickly instead of waiting until the offseason.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
So from what I’m getting...

The eddy current brakes do most of the dirty work taking kinetic energy off the train so a pair of friction wheels can control it in the block. If this doesn’t work, these redundant old school friction clamps will grab the same part of the train the wheels do to stop it completely, then release and give the wheels control of the train again.

Now here’s where I’m not fully sure I understand: the clamps are on site but have NOT been installed yet, and this change in brake programming is being done to accompany it? Instead of releasing the brakes as it’s coming in, the fins are kept in position until the train stops completely, then are dropped and control is relinquished to the wheels. These redundant clamps are just there in case there’s an issue moving the fins into place to catch a train and the ride needs e-stopped, correct? Primary solution is the change in brake programming, secondary will be these emergency clamps?

Sounds like a good solution to me!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's hard to tell exactly what they did, but as Jarrett pointed out, what are the clamps for that are awaiting installment? Are they literally adding and removing hardware to characterize the system? I guess that's a possibility.

Finally, if we're seeing this sort of improvement, multi-train operation can't be much further off, can it? Hopefully the ride opens running three this Saturday - that will certainly appease the crowds.

Jstanich

Roller Poster
They also had a restraint issue the other day though also. Apparently they dispatched a train (Digger) and someone was able to still move their lap bar. They got the ride ops attention about it and they e stopped it. Ride was down for probably 4 hrs then opened back up with row 10 closed and ran the rest of the day. Hopefully they got that figured out and was only an isolated incident.