What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

This was a good decision. This conversion should turn a mediocre B&M into a great B&M. With the first drop untrimmed, it should increase the speed the inversions are taken at therefore making it more forceful than ever before. Perhaps SFMM will do the same to Riddlers Revenge to improve rider comfort although this is highly unlikely because they already have the parking lot coaster.

Hutch

Strata Poster

The park's site says it's top speed will remain 60 mph. It could be slightly faster without the trim, but I dunno if it'll change the force.

One thing I like about this is that there will some nice floater going down that drop, especially with that pre drop. And there many be a bit more after the MCBR right before the corkscrew.

It won't be amazing, but it'll be a big improvement, especially when you compare it to the old ride. It'll be fun and enjoyable.

Intricks

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:
Intricks said:
^Not surprised, but it wasnt exactly high on what I thought was happening to it. While I doubted a conversion, it still had some plausibility.

Dude, yesterday you said it would be a removal and not a conversion. Or the day before.

Floorless>stand up.

Just cause I argue one point does not mean I dont entertain thoughts on other possibilities.

The conversion didnt make sense and I had more doubts over it happening than I did thoughts that it was happening. Face it, Cedar Fair has never had a need to convert ANY of their rides from one type to another, let alone trains on a coaster it seems. Have they changed any of the trains on the wooden coasters over the years besides (Son of Beast when they took out the loop)?

The conversion has been rumor talk for years with no evidence pointing towards it happening (til recently). Cedar Fair has never really done this in the past in as major a way before, so what prior evidence was there to support a mere rumor?

Simply put, a relocation sounded more plausible than just a simple swapping of trains.

njn63

Mega Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Rougarou official video announcement!

hFMOH3S.png
All I can think of when I see that.
doctors-are-calling-on-the-government-to-regulate-caffeine-levels-in-monster-and-other-energy-drinks.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

A few pics from the vids:

Normal Floorless cars...
jARWWnu.png

Theming is the same, and the queue might have new tarps..?
XFdcvVC.png

Yay! Actual Transfer Track!
DRFrzXX.png

The station however, looks, uh, less 80's-ish?
DdKuRS6.png

Yep, they redid the station.
v6AlWBW.png

So, yeah. I think this will be good for the park. It's going to turn an old standup into a cool floorless! I like the colors. I think it pops. The name, let's just hope it grows on me(yes, I am aware of the irony I have made by saying you can't make everyone happy a few hours ago).

Edward M

Strata Poster

Quite glad to see one of my most hated roller coasters become Floorless. This will make it much more comfortable, however, it's a shame that they changed the color and theme. It was the best thing about the ride and looked great. I also love the theming of a Mantis. Rougarou is a less appealing name as well as a worse color scheme. That murky orange does nothing for me. Either way, I'm glad to see it get better trains.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I'm really happy about this, but i'm more happy for the next generation of riders who will never need to suffer the PoS which was Mantis, the teenagers of tomorrow need never know of the horror our generation had to endure.
I like floorless coasters, not my top ride type, but definitely better than what was there before. Not fussed about the colour but the name is a bit minging.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

For the record, Mantis has always had a transfer track. Also, the station isn't changing very much:

3f74jn600000g01q003o00.jpg

Very smart move by the park. Basically all of the infrastructure is in place, minus the removable floor and trains. It saves the park millions, yet the line will surely return to 2+ hour waits on busy summer days.

Also, because high quality renderings haven't been posted yet:

rblog01.jpg

thumb_rougarou_corkscrew_1.jpg

thumb_rougarou_first_hill_0.jpg

rblog02.jpg

Also, they've started painting already. I personally think the colors will allow for the ride to blend with its surroundings a bit better:

IMG_3957_600.jpg

IMG_3949_6002.jpg

All photos found on Cedar Point's blog and Theme Park Review.

Snoo

The Legend

There will now be a reason to ride Mantis again. NO TRIM!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

There is still one unanswered question:

If the colors are Orange and Teal, then why did they test with Silver and Green?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

elephant58

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
There is still one unanswered question:

If the colors are Orange and Teal, then why did they test with Silver and Green?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

You just said the answer yourself. :wink:

Intricks

Strata Poster

Actually, when I was up there last Friday, I noticed Raptor had a small segment like the one found on Mantis.

I dont think it was test paint anymore, but for something else like welding...or something.

Hutch

Strata Poster

I don't mind the new paint job, but I think I preferred that test paint.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster

Nice to see the orange (track) paint being added to CP's skyline. They were going overboard with red (Dragster + Magnum + Maverick + Iron Dragon...) and blue (Millennium + GateKeeper + Corkscrew + Blue Streak...). And there's still the yellow track on Wicked Twister. Of the 6 main colors (primary + secondary), the only one left now is purple.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

ava1enzue1a said:
Nice to see the orange (track) paint being added to CP's skyline. They were going overboard with red (Dragster + Magnum + Maverick + Iron Dragon...) and blue (Millennium + GateKeeper + Corkscrew + Blue Streak...). And there's still the yellow track on Wicked Twister. Of the 6 main colors (primary + secondary), the only one left now is purple.

I mean, they should have the variation of white, gray, dark gray, and black that you see in the UK and Europe. Those colors aren't overused sat all there!

Really hope they do more than just paint and new trains...

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster

^ I was referring to the six basic/pure colors, and not just shades of the same one.

But yeah, it'd be nice if they revamp the station too. It looks pretty dull in its current state.