What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

Re: Cedar Point | Rougarou | Unknown Dark Ride 2015

Mantis is leaving!

October 19th, Mantis Gets squashed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkRRK_oAaQ[/youtube]

Does this mean leaving for good, or will this be the rumored convert to floorless, that is the question.

Given the nature of the announcement, I am bumping the topic into News & Rumors.

Here is the press release:

Cedar Point said:
SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 2, 2014) – It’s the “last stand” for one of Cedar Point’s steel scream machines. Earlier today, the park announced that the Mantis roller coaster will soon give its final rides.

Mantis was billed as the tallest, fastest and steepest stand-up roller coaster in the world when it opened on May 11, 1996. Featuring trains that secure guests in a standing position, Mantis provides its passengers with a unique ride experience. Mantis was built by the same legendary manufacturers that brought guests the Raptor and GateKeeper roller coasters – Bolliger and Mabillard (B & M), Monthey, Switzerland. In its 18-year history, Mantis has given more than 22 million thrilling rides.

“It’s time to say goodbye to one of the park’s coasters, and it’s certainly been a different kind of ride for our guests,” said Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “But we’re extremely excited about what the future holds here at the Roller Coaster Capital of the World™.”

Guests still have time to give Mantis a “standing ovation” before it shuts down permanently on Sunday, October 19 at 8 p.m. Additional plans for the 2015 season will be announced at a later date.

It would appear there is more to come on the fate of Mantis. Would dig a floorless conversion, but the wording of this press release insinuates a full removal.

Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

I'm thinking conversion.. JUST because of the use of "standing" puns over and over.. and getting squashed almost throws out the idea that you won't be standing anymore.

Will being floorless really add anything? Its not like the layout will change.
But maybe that stupid trim can be removed from the drop...

azy9yjuj.jpg

Idk...methinks this could be a relocation.

I always thought Mantis had an amazing layout made crappy by the fact that standing up is uncomfortable. I'd be happy for a conversion! But a WMG type dark ride would be awesome as well. Hmm. I don't like to speculate so I guess I'll just wait for the announcement. Anything new at Cedar Point is good for me because it's close.

I am still leaning conversion on the whole bit. Lord knows Dorney Park already has too many relocated rides. :wink:

When I rode I loved and hated it so much. Sad to see it go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm leaning towards conversion due to the piece of "test-painted" track. I know CP has gone to great lengths to fool enthusiasts over the years though, so who knows. But I do agree with Snoo in regards to all of the puns.

^It is possible that that test-painted section was testing a new color scheme for a relocation as well though. Not sure what to think, but I would expect either conversion or relocation, not just straight demolition.

I've only ridden Iron Wolf but if it's anything close to that bad then it's not too much of a loss.

If scrapped, this will be the first B&M (I believe) to do so. Which is damn impressive for a company with 97 roller coasters to their name.

I'm no PR expert but just because of the obscene amount of standing puns I suspect it may be a conversion. I could be wrong, though.

^ As far as stand-ups go, Mantis is a pretty smooth ride.

Scrapping Mantis would not make sense, as there is plenty of life still left in the ride, let alone resale value. (Think back to that Economics class on capital cost and ROI)

All rumors to date have pointed to floorless conversion, so smart money is still on that.

Hyde said:
^ As far as stand-ups go, Mantis is a pretty smooth ride.

Scrapping Mantis would not make sense, as there is plenty of life still left in the ride, let alone resale value. (Think back to that Economics class on capital cost and ROI)

All rumors to date have pointed to floorless conversion, so smart money is still on that.
They were testing paints, so most probably a relocation?

^ Or repaint it and let it stand as is?

If they were actually getting rid of it, I can't imagine they would use such cryptic language as "squashed." They would just say it was leaving. It wouldn't be such a media blitz. The very fact that we aren't sure exactly what they mean should tell us it's not leaving, right? They wouldn't have any reason to be ambiguous if they were just taking it out

One thing which struck me about the announcement, is that it was extremely negative, rather than being a celebration of the ride's history, as seen with countless 'nostalgic' ride removals. It's almost as if they're trying to provoke an outcry, and incite the sorts of emotions seen in the video. It ridicules the decision to close it! Nowhere does the press release state Mantis will be demolished or relocated. The point of all this teasing (very cleverly) is to make us uncertain, giving us clues supporting both arguments.

However, let's look at the 'cryptic language' of 'squashed'. This can be interpreted in two ways:
-Mantis is being completely crushed and demolished
-Mantis is being compressed, and shortened. Are Stand-up trains not taller than floorless trains? In which case, the stand-up trains are being squashed!

Sorry CP fanboys, you received Gatekeeper last year, 7 years after the last coaster (Maverick in 2007). Mantis isn't moving anywhere....want to see what happens when you step on Mantis? It bites back as a floorless coaster...

Then why such an early close? A conversion wouldnt require any extra time beyond that of the offseason.

Plus, if you look at the list of "Things to do", it is all nothing short of jokes and gp/enthusiast wishes. Yet, why does it say Relocate instead of Convert? Who here has heard of a joke, and/or wishes, about Mantis leaving Cedar Point at any period since the rides induction?

Nowhere does the press release state the trains are being modified either. They are simply wishing it "goodbye".

Besides, we all know that the reason why you dont step on the Mantis is because it kills your nuts, knees and head nowadays! ;)

In all seriousness though, either another one will pop up elsewhere, or it will hop away.

This could just be an elaborate retheme though, cause of the land it sits on fits well with the Rougarou legend.