What's new

Cedar Point | News and Rumor Topic | New talk Page 42

So it kinda just dawned on me that just maybe something might be going on in the front of the park.

I mean, with old rumors of Disaster Transport coming out or a coaster going around that general area, it is only now beginning to make sense why Demon Drop is coming out. I mean, if it was such high maintenance, why would Knotts get it? Im not sure if that was the excuse to get rid of it, but it makes sense. At least to me it does.

With Kinzel leaving soon and the rumor that he will "go out with a bang," I couldn't help to wonder why a coaster wouldn't be his bang. I mean, Kings Dominion, Kings Island and Carowinds all got coasters in the past year or will be opening one next year.

Cedar Point has not gotten a coaster since 2007. Cedar Point is definitely due for one, especially with Kinzel leaving. I mean, it is going to be 2010 and that makes three years. Cedar Point generally builds a coaster every two to four years. Lets look at this:

1989: Magnum XL 200
1991: Mean Streak
1994: Raptor
1996: Mantis
1999: Woodstock Express
2000: Millennium Force
2002: Wicked Twister
2003: Top Thrill Dragster
2007: Maverick
2011: New Coaster?

Something that I noticed in Tony and Tylers blog is this:
Tony and Tyler said:
We'll keep you posted on the removal of the ride as well as other construction projects in the park, including Shoot the Rapids.
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/bl ... 6ebd7831fd

Hmmm. Other construction? What does that mean? Once again, the deconstruction of Demon Drop only leads to make me believe that there is a new coaster on the way.

Other thoughts or opinions?

Maybe. I mean, it's certainly possible, not too far fetched (which is unusual in this topic lol).

What type of coaster do you think they'd get? GCI or other woodie?

^^ I think it's possible because the only woodie is technically Mean Streak (because Blue Streak is past due), which, isn't too great, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new woodie, a GCI perhaps, at CP in 2011.

Wasn't there a also a rumor awhile ago that stated Cedar Point was getting a GCI? Also, wasn't there diagrams of a possible wooden GCI on ScreamScape? And also, GCI looked at Mean Streak. Retracked portions of it that is. Maybe Cedar Point will look into them to build a new wooden coaster. It all just kinda makes sense...

RollerCoasterFanatic said:
^^ I think it's possible because the only woodie is technically Mean Streak (because Blue Streak is past due), which, isn't too great, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new woodie, a GCI perhaps, at CP in 2011.

Huh?

Are you saying that Blue Streak is not a woodie because it's old?

I mean technically, of course.
;)

There was an interview with Kinzel recently. He said something to the effect that 'coasters bring people to the park, and coasters are what people want.'

I'd say it's safe to say that CP will be getting new coasters sooner than later.

Especially with the numerous things I've heard around the park/personal friends who aren't enthusiasts such as myself about CP haven't gotten a new coaster in a long time.. I think 2011 will be that year.

With the installations they have been adding recently, like Justin pointed out, can almost for sure nail down 2011 as the year. TTD and Maverick were both HUGE(well, one of them ;) ) for the park. I don't think they would stretch that four year span any longer.

If only it would be a plug n' play...
[/fanboyish dream]

Yah, it seems this is one of the bigger gaps in the years between major coasters.. But it makes sense since they spent a bunch of money on Shoot the Rapids as well. I do hope it's a wooden coaster, if anything at all. As long as it's good, I don't care who manufactures it, but a nice little GCI would even be a good addition :p .

To be honest, it really doesn't matter what company builds it. The three biggest wood coaster companies are GCI, Gravity Group, and Intamin. A GCI means a twisted, airtime filled ride with millennium flyers. A GG means a more traditional layout, possibly hybrid structure, and timberliners(hopefully). An Intamin would just mean an outstanding airtime machine.

SnooSnoo said:
So.. CP is never getting an Intamin PnP.

Son of a bitch.

Not a big deal if you ask me. I'd much prefer to have a GCI instead of an Intamin PnP. Sure they deliver extreme airtime, but that doesn't mean they are "that" good. I prefer the twisted layout and surprise bits of airtime you can find on a good GCI than a boring huge layout which is so predictable you fall asleep before you hit the brakes.

SnooSnoo said:
So.. CP is never getting an Intamin PnP.

Huh? The park has a love affair with all things Intamin, so why not?

(Jeez, just thinking about it, how many Intamin rides does that park actually have? It's a lot, as far as I can remember.)

It would seem, as a trend of Kinzels tenure, that the only thing resembling airtime would be Magnum.. and that was trimmed to non-existence.

PnP is more then small bits of airtime.. it is better then Magnum airtime.

Plug n' Plays are pretty big.. I can't see Cedar Point getting one really. A GCI seems more reasonable to me just because of the size and stuff.

^ Yah, you could fit anything into Cedar Point if you tore stuff down, but they're not getting rid of Mean Streak in the near future, so, no, a PnP is not going there.