What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Can't wait for all the "why is it sooo slow this will suck it's going like 12 mph!!!"

What is this I keep hearing about soft wheels? Just a testing thing?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
JJLehto said:
Yeah, exactly. They use a softer compound rubber to slow the train down so they can test the train at slower speeds. Running the train fast all the time isn't great for testing, as they need to know a 'worst-case' scenario.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Hixee said:
JJLehto said:
Yeah, exactly. They use a softer compound rubber to slow the train down so they can test the train at slower speeds. Running the train fast all the time isn't great for testing, as they need to know a 'worst-case' scenario.

Gotcha

Screaming Coasters said:
OMG Why is this so slow? Its gonna suck so bad cos its going like 12mph!!1!!!one!!!

No fun unless it's sincere though :wink:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll go ahead and quote a post from last page. Cedar Point has every reason to be concerned about worst-case operation scenarios, as Lake Erie can produce wild head and tail winds, making the area environmentally unpredictable.

I'm actually reminded of Maverick's test runs with soft compound wheels - the train valleyed in between the Horseshoe Roll during testing. You can never be too certain on the reliability of roller coaster dynamics.

Hyde244 said:
A lot of roller coaster coasters do this as apart of their testing, but it is often not mentioned. This is especially critical for GateKeeper, as Cedar Point wants to know that even at slow speeds it can complete the circuit and not valley.

CP can often receive awkward/bizarre headwinds off of Lake Erie which can result in this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8kmveRIBE[/youtube]

Or this:

Image_IMGP0035.JPG

Can never be too certain!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Yeah makes sense, just my n00bness I never heard of this soft wheel thing, but now that you tell what they're for I totally get it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Of course you can! Post anything and everything new you find.

I would say though, you want to check no-one else has posted the content before. If you scroll a few posts up, Maverix posted a link to the video. I missed it at first as he didn't embed the video, but just something to be aware of in the future.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'd like to point out the dynamics of the coaster once again. The seats are much farther out from the center of rotation than one would anticipate. These elements are going to be more intense than many of you might imagine unless you've been on a wing coaster before. You might not necessarily want to execute many of these elements at a fast pace (except that camelback because that alone should be enough to make you blow your load).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Why you no have zero-g, roll?

It will be interesting to see what "up to speed" looks like, especially for the second half after the dive loop.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there has been a commercial on TV in the area. I filmed it with my iPad for my YouTube channel but I couldn't post it here because my nasty sister kept screaming inappropriate things to bother me, but I did find another video without some immature 16-year old girl screaming in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVm5wjMMXw

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's a look at the queues going up. Upside - queue is on the lakefront, so you will get a cold breeze. Downside - queue is on the lakefront, so you will get a cold breeze.

BH6K6wkCUAAy5xo.jpg:large

BI9whUKCIAIF05d.jpg:large

Maverix

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
kadabrium said:
Honestly I don't think gatekeeper looks slow anymore after comparing with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZinM6Fnszc
That isn't quite an apples to apples comparison. However, next week we will be able to let you know how the speed/pacing of the ride is at CP's Media Day.
Who all consists of we? I'm assuming Jerry and Marcus, but is anybody else allowed to tag along? I'll be home before media day and would love to join you guys if possible.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sadly not - we were only allowed a limited slot. We will be providing LOADS of content though, so be sure to follow the Twitter and Facebook feeds on Thursday for Media Day... and Friday for OSU Day... and Sunday for the CF meet-up. :wink: