What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Coasterfreck said:
but interesting that they are running it in testing stages with two sets of wheels!
A lot of roller coaster coasters do this as apart of their testing, but it is often not mentioned. This is especially critical for GateKeeper, as Cedar Point wants to know that even at slow speeds it can complete the circuit and not valley.

CP can often receive awkward/bizarre headwinds off of Lake Erie which can result in this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8kmveRIBE[/youtube]

Or this:

Image_IMGP0035.JPG

Can never be too certain!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
It looks slow... -_-

So it's a good thing they're putting the hard wheels on because even at those speeds it looks sick! PSYCHED to have this thing three hours from home!

rcjp

Roller Poster
I actually think that it already goes a bit faster than most other wingcoasters (specially through the zero-g-roll). I hope that when they put the hard wheels it will in fact be faster. Can't wait! :--D

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Speed looks about right to me. Beautiful looking ride!

Fairly certain that all of the shots of 'testing' in that vid (with the exception of it leaving the station and going up the lift) are actually just CGI animation.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Maybe it's a result of not seeing the track whizzing by but wing riders never look fast but I've heard they are faster than it seems.
Remember a POV is never a totally accurate judge! I'm stoked for gatekeeper.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

I believe it is a trick of scale, the wing rider cars and/or track are slightly larger than what we are used to so our brains miscalculate the speed at which they are traveling. Similar to forced perspective.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As Einstein wrote with his Theory of Special Relativity, velocity/speed is relative to the viewer. What looks slow on the ground can actually be pretty fast on board!

Cedar Point's OnPoint blog did some cool coverage today of a very dedicated enthusiast.

Back when Maverick was built in 2007, a roller coaster fan built a scale model out of Coaster Dynamix track. (Imagine specially designed K'Nex track)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0m-_-OvFA[/youtube] I especially love the Kingda Ka in the background.

Turns out the same guy has already created a replica of GateKeeper, all the way down to custom trains and tower pylons for the entrance inversion.

cpblog0022.jpg

cpblog0024.jpg

cpblog0023.jpg

cpblog0025.jpg

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article ... eeper-Mini

Colossus

Giga Poster
913999_10151361820161463_586967534_o.jpg

From Cedar Point's FB page, apparently we have to wait till May 6th for the full POV? Perhaps this is to do with the wheels? I don't know if that's a special date or anything?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Or maybe they have filmed the POV and simply want to milk the suspense :wink:

Media Day is May 9th. CF will be present to provide coverage!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
CP POV will be released May 6. CF POV will be released May 9. ;)