What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
NEW_CP_Ride_05292012b_0.jpg

The Sandusky Register reported today speculation that Cedar Point would be removing their Disaster Transport roller coaster and Space Spiral observation tower to make room for a B&M Wingrider in 2013.

Cedar Point has not made any official announcements, but have announced they will be investing $25 million next year.

This Wingrider is rumored to be the tallest and fastest yet of the new coaster genre, featuring a front gate element that will be extremely visible to guests.

The Sandusky Register said:
Cedar Fair stands ready to spend big money on a new roller coaster for 2013 at Cedar Point that will change the park landscape.

Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors.

The total projected cost of the project is $25 million, a price that includes removing the park’s Space Spiral and Disaster Transport rides and restructuring the park entrance.

Ouimet was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Lee Alexakos, corporate vice president of marketing, declined to confirm the information in the memo.

“We have not announced any plans for 2013 but we did announce a $25 million investment,” Alexakos said. “This will be one of the largest capital expenditures ever.”

Alexakos said that with any ride or attraction Cedar Point undertakes, the company is always looking to set records.

The Swiss-based Bolliger & Mabillard Consulting Engineers is set to design the new ride, which was described in the memo as having a “Front Gate Statement— a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park.”

The firm designed Cedar Point’s Raptor.

A winged coaster is designed to suspend riders on wings to the sides of the rails so there is no track above or below the guest.

Engineering schematics show a proposed coaster with gravity defying twists, curves and rolls.

“Rob Decker (Cedar Fair VP of planning and design) and others have done a great job of creating a compelling, economically attractive new coaster for Cedar Point,” Ouimet wrote. “We believe this particular ride design with this particular manufacturer balances the desire for marketable innovation and risk associated with early adaptations of prototypes.”

Bolliger & Mabillard designed the first winged coaster for installation in Italy at a park known as Gardaland. The Six Flags Great American park outside of Chicago also has one of the company’s winged coasters, called X-Flight.

The new ride at Cedar Point could promise to be a work horse available to guests at almost any time they are in the park.

“Rob talked to operators of the first one in Italy and found no unanticipated negatives and very high ride reliability (less than 1 percent operational downtime).

Design plans show the new ride with a 170-foot tall lift that will fly overhead of park guests entering the park. It will have the longest track and longest ride time of any coaster of its style as it flies overhead, rolls and then fly back.

The huge roller coaster will dominate the front gate and the track will travel over a large parking area at the park.

“We have several coasters that cover parking lots,” Ouimet wrote. “Not necessarily ideal, but certainly acceptable given tight site constraints and the amount of land such attractions require.”

Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral both would have to come down if the site plan currently under consideration is chosen.

Part of the $25 million investment will also include renovations and upgrades at the park entrance from the parking lot.

Cedar Point general manger John Hildebrandt was not available for comment on Tuesday.

Source: Sandusky Register

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point to remove DT and SS for 2013 B&M Wingrider

Hmmm, interesting find.

Makes me wonder, Ouimet did say to keep a lookout for DT, but there was talk of renovations tovthe ride and retheming.

Although I do want to see this happen just to watch the fanboys cry about losing the "coaster war" between The Point and Magic Mountain.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

But... but... where can we now speculate they will place that Woodie/4-D/Flyer/Multilooper? They're removing our favourite speculation plot! Now we can't say "Oh, but if they remove DT and SS they will have room for it..." anymore, they're actually building stuff there! Noooo!

This is a sad day for wishful thinking.

On the other hand, new coaster! Looks like B&M really struck gold with their Wing Coasters, announcing a new one as soon as you turn your back to them. I wonder what CP will do with theirs, but I doubt it will be anything less than epic. Or at least, it won't be worse than the ride it replaces. Hopefully.

CPcisco

Mega Poster

While I don't quite discredit the reporting as they do appear to be siting their facts, I am slightly confused about the removal of Space Spiral. Surely it just needs a rehab, as I can't believe that B&M were not able to design a coaster around something with as small of a footprint as SS.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

GAH so excited :) I am also pleased to see that Diaster Transport is finally leaving us forever. It was pretty much a waste of space in my opinion. I wonder if they'll include any near misses with some themed elements ?

dominoes

Mega Poster

God I wish Swarm had the same description as this one. Anyway, this sounds great, but it seems a shame they are going to get rid of a perfectly nice observation tower.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Well my friend and I planned on riding Disaster Transport when we go later this summer. He's not going to like hearing about this.

But about the coaster, SWEEEET!!!! I hope it's not that green track that was spotted a while ago, though. They have Raptor which is a green B&M and I think they should try to mix it up a little.

And from what it sounds like, it's going to have a giant Thorpe Park Inversion for the drop, which should be awesome. Hopefully there will also be a giant in-line twist over a path.

Ethan

Strata Poster

The Sandusky Register said:
The huge roller coaster will dominate the front gate and the track will travel over a large parking area at the park.

So it's a parking lot coaster... amazing! Seriously though they better add at least a bit of theming.

Snoo

The Legend

This sounds awesome. Lets hope its no just speculation.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

CP removing more credits before I can get there D:

If this is true though that'd be great. A new type of ride closer to me :)

Lofty

CF Legend

Anymore of the Wingrider range is a good thing in my eyes. I'll be looking forward to see it progress, if all is true.

I LOVE how Cedar Point are like, Bigger, Faster, Longer = Better. It's SO CP :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Just as I was there the other week I was thinking about how DT was turd and needs removing and me and Taylor were discussing the possibility of CP getting a WingRider :p

Good move, I feel. It's not good that CP are now starting to remove all of their slightly dated coasters, but at least this time it looks to be for a decent investment rather than some poncy sound stage or whatever it wa I saw being built in place of Wild Cat.

TilenB

Strata Poster

Whatever, I won't be bothering any-more to get there, since they are apparently removing creds at the time

Snoo

The Legend

Yeah.. because removing old pieces of crap for new shiny awesome is a bad thing. So when you replace your 80's Geo with a new Lexus.. youll just swear off driving? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I smell fanboy :3

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

If you're more concerned with the number of "credits" and holding on to a stupid record than with improving the park by making room for far better attractions, then you're an idiot.

I'll be honest though, this doesn't excite me. To be fair, we've got very little to go on at the minute, but just sticking a tallest!!! longest!!!! Wingrider over a slab of concrete is a horrible misuse of the ride type and its capabilities.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Intricks said:
I smell fanboy :3

If you thought it was bad with Thorpe, just wait until there is confirmation on this, they'll all come crawling out of the woodwork and completely take over CF!

Where's Justin already? :lol:

tomahawk

Strata Poster

There is nothing worse than Thorpe fanboys. Even going over to pointbuzz isn't as bad as Thorpe fanboys and Swarm. Not even close, as the construction thread for this may reach 100 by the end, unlike SW7 which is already at 100.

For this ride, I'm excited with the limited info. Yes, it is a parking lot coaster, but apparently the one they just opened in Canada is pretty good, and personally, I have never given a **** if it is in a parking lot or not. If it is a good coaster, it will be good regardless. Between this, and the rumored new coaster for SFMM next year, I'm going to be traveling a bit.

reddude333

Giga Poster

My Google alerts have been blowing up with this news hitting the internet. I'm really looking forward to more information on this.

Glad I rode Disaster Transport once (it is unique) and I don't mind it being removed. I did like when CP was at the top of the "Most Coasters" list but I am much more for improving the park. Would be a shame if theming is not fully utilized for this coaster though...only time will tell.

Lofty

CF Legend

tomahawKSU said:
There is nothing worse than Thorpe fanboys. Even going over to pointbuzz isn't as bad as Thorpe fanboys and Swarm. Not even close, as the construction thread for this may reach 100 by the end, unlike SW7 which is already at 100.
You are joking, right?

I'm sure the Maverick topic went WELL over 200 pages? I'm adamant it did?