What's new

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Somewhat new to the coaster community, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I have always been fascinated by the idea of the "polar coaster", and I'm wondering why it isn't really discussed much as an option for cedar point in the future. It could be a 500+ foot coaster with a drop tower attached, so would it be possible for it to go in the current drop towers footprint? I'm not sure if it would take p too much space or if its well above the monetary range that they are comfortable with. Also I'm putting this out there as if we could ignore the COVID-19 crisis because I've been working from home for way too long and I'm going stir crazy.
There's really no discussion around it because none of the prior planned Polar Coasters have gotten off the ground.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Somewhat new to the coaster community, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I have always been fascinated by the idea of the "polar coaster", and I'm wondering why it isn't really discussed much as an option for cedar point in the future. It could be a 500+ foot coaster with a drop tower attached, so would it be possible for it to go in the current drop towers footprint? I'm not sure if it would take p too much space or if its well above the monetary range that they are comfortable with. Also I'm putting this out there as if we could ignore the COVID-19 crisis because I've been working from home for way too long and I'm going stir crazy.
I don’t see it as an option because I look at dragster as cedar point’s tallest coaster, I mean it is meant for the height so if u make something taller than dragster, doesn’t that just make dragster irrelevant?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I don’t see it as an option because I look at dragster as cedar point’s tallest coaster, I mean it is meant for the height so if u make something taller than dragster, doesn’t that just make dragster irrelevant?
I'd debate that the second significant aspect of Top Thrill Dragster is its speed. 0-120mph is 20mph faster than the previous record holder (Superman: Escape from Krypton). I feel that, if Cedar Point did open a 500+ foot tall coaster, Dragster would remain popular, just as how Millennium Force is still a crowd-pleaser even after Top Thrill Dragster eclipsed it just 3 years after it opened.

i305_zack

Mega Poster
I'd debate that the second significant aspect of Top Thrill Dragster is its speed. 0-120mph is 20mph faster than the previous record holder (Superman: Escape from Krypton). I feel that, if Cedar Point did open a 500+ foot tall coaster, Dragster would remain popular, just as how Millennium Force is still a crowd-pleaser even after Top Thrill Dragster eclipsed it just 3 years after it opened.
I see it as both because if it was only about speed then it wouldn’t be only a top hat, I stand by my statement that dragster would end up being pointless at that point and I don’t want that to happen

Twist3d_steel

Roller Poster
I see it as both because if it was only about speed then it wouldn’t be only a top hat, I stand by my statement that dragster would end up being pointless at that point and I don’t want that to happen

Totally agree because millennium force is coaster that’s sole purpose isn’t just height and speed, unlike dragster. Because dragster is supposed to be that giant coaster that towers over the park gp look at it and think “that looks so scary cos it’s the biggest” and having a taller coaster would indeed, in a way make dragster obsolete

This has probably already been said somewhere else, but has anyone noticed that it says Snake River Falls closes on 7th September 2020?
I thought it was weird and tbf, it kinda links with the markers spotted stretching from Snake River Falls to the Antique Cars.
If it is a B&M Flyer or whatever it is, if this is linked, then I think the layout would either replace or circulate over and around Town Hall Museum and Antique Cars and run through the Snake River Falls site

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yep. It can get quite chilly in Sandusky once the park transitions to weekend operations - sometimes cold enough to snow. It's certainly no fun riding a water ride at near freezing temperature.

FYI Windseeker is usually closed during this time period too.

Snake River Falls always closes before Halloween season along with the rapids.
Yep. It can get quite chilly in Sandusky once the park transitions to weekend operations - sometimes cold enough to snow. It's certainly no fun riding a water ride at near freezing temperature.

FYI Windseeker is usually closed during this time period too.
Ah right fairs. But tbf the markers area does line up and I think if that is the site of the next major rollercoaster, then Snake River Falls would pay the price

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
But not really... There are quite a few holes in the coaster argument:

- If the utility markings are, in fact, for a new coaster, the ride would need to navigate around the Frontiertown Hall to get from the plot of land on which the antique cars sit to the lagoon where Snake River Falls is located.
- It appears that a significant amount of the utility markings are on the midways themselves and run parallel to the midways. Cedar Point tends to design their rides such that they are constrained to a particular plot of land and minimize midway crossings. I doubt Cedar Point would design a ride that would not only alter the aesthetic of Frontiertown significantly, but also be a huge liability with regard to loose articles by spending so much time over said midways.
- A large amount of markers are located in and around the alcove outside the bathrooms across from Maverick. These bathrooms are located between Miss Keats BBQ and a slew of other shops, the arcade, and other places to eat. Based on how many already existing utilities are in place in this area of the park, I'd bet that the eventual work involves said utilities.
- Cedar Point tends to spread the wealth when it comes to new additions in the park by adding new attractions to areas of the park that could use some TLC. Cedar Point isn't going to add a new attraction next to its most recent addition over areas like between Corkscrew and the administrative offices, or in the area around Millennium Force's tunnels.

Cedar Point may be the coaster capital of the world but it's seriously doubtful that this utility work is for a coaster.

Matt N

CF Legend
It might be worth noting, however, that Cedar Fair still plans to invest $85-100m into 2021 projects, and I can't imagine that an S&S Free Spin for Kings Dominion, a Gravity Group wooden shuttle coaster for Dorney Park and an assortment of flat rides adds up to that much money. Add to that the mounting rumours of a major investment into Cedar Point for 2021, and I'd say that there's still a definite chance that something could be happening.

Also, we don't know what's going on in Cedar Point right now. I'm admittedly not sure what restrictions have been applied in the way of social distancing in Ohio, but there could very well be construction taking place at the park right now. We simply don't know until the park reopens.

But not really... There are quite a few holes in the coaster argument:

- If the utility markings are, in fact, for a new coaster, the ride would need to navigate around the Frontiertown Hall to get from the plot of land on which the antique cars sit to the lagoon where Snake River Falls is located.
- It appears that a significant amount of the utility markings are on the midways themselves and run parallel to the midways. Cedar Point tends to design their rides such that they are constrained to a particular plot of land and minimize midway crossings. I doubt Cedar Point would design a ride that would not only alter the aesthetic of Frontiertown significantly, but also be a huge liability with regard to loose articles by spending so much time over said midways.
- A large amount of markers are located in and around the alcove outside the bathrooms across from Maverick. These bathrooms are located between Miss Keats BBQ and a slew of other shops, the arcade, and other places to eat. Based on how many already existing utilities are in place in this area of the park, I'd bet that the eventual work involves said utilities.
- Cedar Point tends to spread the wealth when it comes to new additions in the park by adding new attractions to areas of the park that could use some TLC. Cedar Point isn't going to add a new attraction next to its most recent addition over areas like between Corkscrew and the administrative offices, or in the area around Millennium Force's tunnels.

Cedar Point may be the coaster capital of the world but it's seriously doubtful that this utility work is for a coaster.
Very good logic, ngl.

Matt N

CF Legend
I was thinking the very same thing @CrashCoaster; I haven't even heard anything in terms of ride type. With Steel Vengeance and Valravn, it was pretty much known what they were going to be by this point. It's possible that COVID could have offered a distraction from rumours like this, but I haven't heard anything about what a potential 2021 coaster for Cedar Point could be. The last I heard was that Kings Dominion and Dorney Park were receiving Cedar Fair's 2021 major CAPEX money in the form of an S&S 4D Free Spin for the former and a Gravity Group wooden shuttle coaster for the latter.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Sorry for this minor bump but is there any concrete evidence CP may have been adding a coater in the near future? Or is it just speculation/wishful thinking?

this. People kinda assume that the lauded CP would never let a huge anniversary go without a major coaster addition so they were convinced we'd get something for 2020. When that didn't happen then it must be for 2021. if it doesn't happen for 21 then people will guess 2022. Any slight signs people will speculate about cp getting a new coaster because it's cedar point.

Llama Drama

Roller Poster
I remember those CP 2020 speculation vids popping up all over the place around mid-2018, and people being SO adamant that they're going to rush to build some super-duper coaster so quickly after SV because...well...ITS THEIR 150th!

And then when I tried to talk them down from those expectations and explain how anniversaries rarely coincide with coasters I got routinely dismissed as just a "CP-hater" or something...lol

And then when I'd point out to them that KI already has a B&M slated for 2020, likely a Giga, and its unlikely that two ground-up coasters will come to both CP and KI in the same year under CF ownership (as it has never happened)...Again I'm thrown the "but its their 150th" response...

And here are we now - 2020 no new coaster. But as Youngster Joey points out the goalposts will be continually shifted until they do inevitably get new coaster, whenever that is...

i305_zack

Mega Poster
I remember those CP 2020 speculation vids popping up all over the place around mid-2018, and people being SO adamant that they're going to rush to build some super-duper coaster so quickly after SV because...well...ITS THEIR 150th!

And then when I tried to talk them down from those expectations and explain how anniversaries rarely coincide with coasters I got routinely dismissed as just a "CP-hater" or something...lol

And then when I'd point out to them that KI already has a B&M slated for 2020, likely a Giga, and its unlikely that two ground-up coasters will come to both CP and KI in the same year under CF ownership (as it has never happened)...Again I'm thrown the "but its their 150th" response...

And here are we now - 2020 no new coaster. But as Youngster Joey points out the goalposts will be continually shifted until they do inevitably get new coaster, whenever that is...
To be honest, I don’t even know if we will see a new coaster in 2021, it seems that it has been pushed back to 2022 if you ask me