What's new

CANCELLED - Basic Beginnings | ALTON TOWERS | 22nd Mar 2020

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
You know groups of six could get together and get in for £22.17 each... 1 x season pass at £58 and 5 x season pass friends and family tickets at £15 each ?

Would take some organising and pre purchasing... But just so you know :)

Guess most of us have an merlin pass though?

Fair point, I have a few spare PMAP Share the Fun vouchers to use if anyone wants them. Think it makes it £15 entry but but have some of the older £10 entry ones still around.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fair point, I have a few spare PMAP Share the Fun vouchers to use if anyone wants them. Think it makes it £15 entry but but have some of the older £10 entry ones still around.
The £10 ones are not technically valid anymore... :( the terms and conditions stated that they had to be used with the pass with which they were issued, (although we all know they don’t police this) and they haven’t issued them for years... HOWEVER there are reports of them accepting them as if they were £15 STF and letting you buy a ticket for £15 instead... Just a heads up.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Final Event Details

Sunday 22nd March 2020

Meet at 10:30am at the end of Towers Street on the right hand side (heading down towards Spinball). We will be moving on into the park swiftly at 10:30, so please don't be late. If you're running behind, get in touch (details below) and you can always catch us up. Don't forget, this is inside the park, so please factor in car park/monorail/ticket-faff time!

FxgRjHC.jpg

We'll do a few hours in the morning before breaking for lunch for an hour or so, and then meet up again for the rest of the afternoon. Bring good footwear (you know what Alton is like) and a friendly smile and you'll be just fine. Please, please, expect a busy day at the park and be prepared for this not being a massive cred run.

My contact details are 07757645354, so any issues on the day please get in touch.

Finally, enjoy 10% all CF Merch (< that's a link) with the code NEMMY10. This expires on the day of the Live, so why not gear up for the event? :p

See you there!

Final Event Details

Sunday 22nd March 2020

Meet at 10:30am at the end of Towers Street on the right hand side (heading down towards Spinball). We will be moving on into the park swiftly at 10:30, so please don't be late. If you're running behind, get in touch (details below) and you can always catch us up. Don't forget, this is inside the park, so please factor in car park/monorail/ticket-faff time!

FxgRjHC.jpg

We'll do a few hours in the morning before breaking for lunch for an hour or so, and then meet up again for the rest of the afternoon. Bring good footwear (you know what Alton is like) and a friendly smile and you'll be just fine. Please, please, expect a busy day at the park and be prepared for this not being a massive cred run.

My contact details are 07757645354, so any issues on the day please get in touch.

Finally, enjoy 10% all CF Merch (< that's a link) with the code NEMMY10. This expires on the day of the Live, so why not gear up for the event? :p

See you there!
Fantastic! Looking forward to it and cheers for the discount too! I'll certainly be taking advantage of that one!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
???

Thanks to @Matt N ‘s post in another thread, I’ve only just realised this is the Sunday, not opening day, and that Sunday also happens to be Mother’s Day. As much as I’d like to I can’t really throw my staff in the deep end and leave them to run the pub on one of the busiest days of the year ? so unfortunately I won’t be able to make it.

.Ac.

Mega Poster
Happy to give anyone a lift, espically if they have pmap

Based in Woking but happy to do slight detour if helps someone out

No idea if m1 or m6 is quicker tbh, never seem to go same way.

LooperOne

Roller Poster
Well I am going to have to drop out. My company has cancelled all travel through the end of April, which knocks out my trips to Towers, Thorpe, and Parc Asterix. ?

A few of us were at the towers for services day today, lots of roadworks in the area so bear that in mind when travelling! There were a few breakdowns too, as Smiler and Wicker Man were both down all day, hopefully that'll all be sorted by the Sunday. Fortunately, due to the breakdowns they've made the tickets good for another visit within the next 12 months so that's what we'll be using for the live.

I'll be driving from Manchester if anyone is looking for a lift.

Will

Strata Poster
Agreed - I work in the Moorlands these days and can vouch for the fact that they're constantly all over the travel news, even after the threat of snow seems to have gone away for the time being.

Starting to think splashing out the extra £20 for the season pass is probably the way forward - bound to go more than once this year and it's an 'insurance policy' in case of bad weather and breakdowns :)

(On a similar note, just found out my boss worked at Alton from '94 to '98 and he's just spent a merry hour reminiscing. And singing the Toyland Tours music!!)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've just sent an email to the people who've signed up to the Live through the main site. This just repeats information I posted above about meetup time/location and contact details. I have, however, added this section, which I think pertinent to post here too:

-----

Finally, I have to mention it. The C-word… Covid-19. At the time of sending this email, we’re not aware of any restrictions put in place by Alton Towers Resort that will impact the Live. That being said, we cannot be blind to the developing situation and encourage everyone to take sensible precautions. Along with all of the other advice being given to reduce the impact of the virus (which we should all be doing our best to adhere to!), please use your judgement when travelling to, and during, the Live. We are in touch with the park, and are monitoring their various news outlets, and will be in touch should their guidance change.

-----

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Will

Strata Poster
Maybe I've been watching too much news the last couple of days, but is it just me that can't see this happening?

Peet

Giga Poster
It does sound like they are planning to open at the weekend; this is from the AT website:
The safety and wellbeing of our guests and staff is our priority and we will take all necessary precautions to ensure their continued welfare. As with many businesses, we are actively monitoring the situation with regards the outbreak of Covid-19 coronavirus and are in regular contact with Public Health England. The advice from the health authorities has not changed, so our business is operating as normal and standard terms and conditions on bookings continue to apply.
If you are planning on visiting Alton Towers Resort from an area that has been directly affected by the coronavirus OR you are showing symptoms similar to those associated with the virus (for example: fever, cough, breathlessness), we please politely ask that you do not visit Alton Towers Resort and instead follow current government guidance found at https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response. Please then contact Alton Towers Resort, or your travel agent, regarding your booking.
For further information, please refer and adhere to the advice given by your local health authority https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public.
During your visit, we wish to reassure you that Alton Towers Resort is taking all possible steps to minimise the risk of contagion, including the implementation of enhanced cleaning regimes throughout Alton Towers Resort. Rest assured, we will continue to act quickly should we be required to do so and will take all necessary precautions to protect the welfare of our guests and staff.
We ask all our guests to observe high standards of personal hygiene whilst visiting Alton Towers Resort. There are simple things you can do to help prevent the spread of the virus, including:
  • Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • Putting used tissues in the bin immediately
  • Washing your hands with soap and hot water regularly, and using hand sanitiser gel
  • Trying to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
Throughout Alton Towers Resort, we have placed additional hand sanitisers in convenient locations for guests, and we politely ask that you use them regularly.
If you do feel unwell during your visit, please contact a member of staff immediately – maintaining a safe distance of two metres where possible.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Of course it's such a rapidly changing situation that they could decide to delay opening at any time. Fingers crossed.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Watching a press conference now: new advice is for everyone to avoid social contact and all non-essential travel. This includes pubs, clubs, theatres and restaurants.
Although theme parks weren't mentioned specifically, I'd be very surprised if Alton/Merlin didn't follow that advice. :(

Will

Strata Poster
Like the rest of the nation, I've got the news on and I'm agreed with Howie - I think we can moreorless kiss goodbye to this, and in all honesty, based on the number of times I've returned from a CF trip with a cold or similar, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not worth the risk anyway.

The park will still be there when this finally blows over, and I don't want to miss work or risk passing the virus to elderly relatives or my brother who's a doctor at North Staffs :(
At least there's not a new cred teasing us ;)

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't devastated that my US trip's probably off though :(