What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

Martyn B said:
Purely because that brake run is horizontal, followed by a controlled slope down, I reckon this was/is designed with more to it, but, CW didn't want anymore to it, so decided the MCBR would be the end. It does looks quite short for a 306ft coaster (and its missing bunny hops).
The more track, the more money. CW doesn't want to spend anymore money, they keep a short layout. It is the same reason on why MF has so many over banked turns vs. airtime hills; to reduce construction and manufacturing costs.

tks said:
LOL. This is the worst management decision of all time.

No, that was TTD. :roll:

Martyn B

CF Legend

Gazza said:
I just don't get how spending $28 mil on this, out of all the rides available, represents the best return on investment.

But couldn't the same be said for Mt Olympus, and the 4 Woodies they have?

Ethan

Strata Poster

Yeah, they should have build bunny hops rather than I long brake run. Although I suppose it would cost another bomb :D

D1993

Hyper Poster

The ride length is fun. It could be longer but the ride experience will be great enough. Its not as long as Milennium, but longer than intimidator. Its a whole minute from the time its dropped down the first hill and there will be alot of anticipation with the lift hill, so the ride will feel like a good length I reckon. Some little bunny hills wouldve been nice at the end, but whatever no biggie

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^The layout is highly average. This ride will suck, mark my words. I hope it's worse than Behemoth...

One thing that did occur to me, do you think B&M have any say in which coasters they install? I mean, I know it's only really the park's problem that they've got two of the same ride, but do you think B&M will have mentioned it... :?

Josh73

Giga Poster

-Quote Martyn B

Touche on Gazza!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Yes. To an extend.

Ethan

Strata Poster

I think woodies are different though. They vary so much, in smoothness etc. Whereas Hypers don't in my opinion. So B&M probably mentioned it i'm guessing, but obviously CW would have the final say.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I can't help but think the average guest will look at this and Behemoth and just see Behemoth as old and ****.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I can't help but think the average guest will look at this and Behemoth and just see Behemoth as old and ****.

Yeah, which links back to why the park took the height record from a coaster in the same park!
I'm sure most of us could make better decisions, easily -_-

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster

Hixee said:
One thing that did occur to me, do you think B&M have any say in which coasters they install? I mean, I know it's only really the park's problem that they've got two of the same ride, but do you think B&M will have mentioned it... :?

All about the money.

Josh73

Giga Poster

I guess hypers are different than woodies, but still, Martyns got a point.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Josh73 said:

-Quote Martyn B

Touche on Gazza!

But there's a handful of parks in the US that seem to stick exclusively with woodies for their full sized coasters, for whatetever reason ('old time feel' ideology? lower upfront capital cost?)

But why a park like CW need to do it?

If it were a 'normal' thing to do then we wouldn't be having this discussion....If any of you were the park manager, would you have done this. Even if we were just having one of those "What ride should XXXXX park get next?", would anybody have said "I reckon they should get a Giga!"

Xpress

Strata Poster

Is it just me.... Or does it seem that B&M has changed their hyper tactics from hairtime floater hills, to layouts that are short (time wise, not length wise) and have minimal airtime?

Guess i'm late to the party if so..

Titan

Mega Poster

Im starting to think that this is more of an experiment.

How feasible is it for B&M to build a giga? Can it be done in better quality than previous gigas? What will up front and in service costs be like? How does will it compare to an Intamin giga?

It could be that this is being tested at CW because its a smaller park, and its possible failure wouldnt mean much. Its possible that cedar fair has plans of making something epic somewhere else, but they wanted a proof of concept first. This management decision just doesnt sound like a serious one to me. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but its just a thought.

Gazza

Giga Poster

It could be that this is being tested at CW because its a smaller park,
If by small, you mean, "Highest attended seasonal park in North America"?

Titan

Mega Poster

Id like to see some numbers on that, but I was thinking more along the lines of publicity. CW isnt exactly, cedar fair's pride and joy, cedar point is. Like I said, its just a theory, Im just throwing it out into the open.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

^That still doesn't change the fact that more people visit it than Cedar Point. The park will have 16 coasters in the spring, which doesn't exactly make it a small park.

I'm sure it ran through B&M's head(s) about the same type of coaster, but they probably just said "thank you for $28 million!"

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster

^ Exactly. What do they care whether or not they consult them for a hyper or a giga. I'm sure they prefer the giga. More money in their pockets.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

Ethan said:
Joey said:

Yeah, which links back to why the park took the height record from a coaster in the same park!
I'm sure most of us could make better decisions, easily -_-

Cedar Point? While they had the highest in North America with Millennium Force, why the decision to build Top Thrill Dragster then? It is purely for publicity and the damn fact that they can.

B&M is going with an experiment, and what better place to put it than a park that has a similar type? That way, they can compare the two and figure out if they really need to build more gigas or not.

In other news, I am completely interested in how the Knotts rumor is going to either pan out or die.

Le sigh, knew I said I was done but eh, I am back with this thread again ><

Switching between the hideouts'...